Milton & the last play

Hell the more I think about it. It would’ve even been better to run up the middle And when you get tackled “fumble” forward into the end zone and hope a Vol falls on it

Reactions: FallCreekVols
Anyone remember when Ken Stabler threw the ball out of bounds from inside the five on fourth down essentially ending the game with the score tied? I do. He thought it was third and would stop the clock and kick a fg. We tied Bama 7-7 that day.

Kid came in cold. Made a bad choice not to toss it up, but also the coaches should have told him to throw it into a group of receivers no matter what and let the chips fall.

Got screwed on scoop and score, missed FG should have never been in that situation. All in all it was a down to the wire game with a ranked team. Im not happy but I'm optimistic for sure about this coaching staff.
They missed fg also don't go there

I think most high school QB's understand the ball has to be put in the air and end zone. Ole Miss even called a timeout prior to the last play. I would hope Coach told him to put the ball in air and he just froze up. Tennessee definitely is on trouble if Milton is QB here on.
We will never know the answer but you are spot on 3 seconds define you now have the last play. Do you have to say don’t run out of bounds with the ball in you hands because that would be stooopid?

Reactions: Remy and Rickyvol77
He's not close to a good QB. He either didn't understand this situation or clock when he went in or he just went lulu on us. His last play was the worst play, worse than JG's Bama goal line turnover, in my opinion in UT history. He needed to give his team a chance on that last play and he had to put the ball in the end zone by a pass. That was their last chance. Instead he tucks it, and runs it after his protection broke down, but he came clear long enough to put the ball in the end zone. Running it out of bouds took the chance away from his fellow players in the field. WORST OFFENSIVE PLAY IN UT HISTORY IMO.
Just awful after everyone else that played that game before he came in gave there body and all and he just runs out of bounds on the last play because he didn't want to get hit that and not smart enough to give them a chance and throw it.

He's just scared to take a hit. simple as that. No fight in him. Matt C trucked a few of our players last night and Milton runs out of bounds to avoid being touched.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
Anyone remember when Ken Stabler threw the ball out of bounds from inside the five on fourth down essentially ending the game with the score tied? I do. He thought it was third and would stop the clock and kick a fg. We tied Bama 7-7 that day.

Stabler, when he got to the NFL, also intentionally fumbled into the end zone on a run and Raiders coverer for a TD I believe. NFL had to make a rule on fumbling forward. Stabler was a character on all levels.

At some point, fans are going to have to face the reality that HB is the guy who can't beat out Milton. You really want to replace a bad quarterback with a guy who can't beat out a bad quarterback?

They've got to be scouring the transfer portal to bring in at least two guys for next year. Guys who can play immediately, and give Hooker some legitimate backup.
Well Hooker was the guy since he may be out for a period of time maybe Bailey can show the coaches he is also. I supported Milton at the start of the season but after he just ran out of bounds at the end of the game I don't want to see him no more. Take Georgia's little QB for example you think he would beat out Milton in practice it's not always about how you do in practice. It's live action and making right decisions.

Why he is 2nd string.

The play call was a roll out to the right and so his receivers were on the other side of the field but he panicked. Gotta throw it in the endzone, maybe someone makes a miracle catch or tipper catch. Just give yourself a chance.

Milton would have likely heaved it into Section H. He needs to spend the rest of the season on the scout squad.

Makes sense. Defense can accept the penalty which takes away the touchdown. Then the clock is at 0:00 so the offense doesn’t benefit from an exception to run one more play. There is an exception given to the offense if the game ends on a defensive penalty. There is no reason to grant a similar exception to an offending offense. 0:00. Game is over.

Not to be to much of a contrarian, but didn't Kamara run out of bounds in his last bowl game?

I am wrong, he ran out of bounds before the first down in that Vandy game with little on the clock. Easier to mistake than the end zone lol.

Last edited:
Both QBs made a bad decision to end the game down by 5. But argue if it makes you feel better.

Robinson was attempting to extend the game and had an extra second or two. There was 4 or 5 seconds left after the previous play stopped the clock with the first down. He needed 1 or 2 more seconds. He nearly pulled it off and he did not give up on the play. They are not comparable scenarios.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Will have to skip to the end.

Thank you. The play begins at 5:43. I observe that Milton wanted to run right and throw to his receivers there. At 5:48, he starts to do that but #7 disengages from his block and turns Milton back (Milton perhaps could have eluded him, but he chooses to run away instead). This puts him on the left side of the field. At 5:50, he had the time and space to turn his body and throw across the field to the right side of the end zone. But again, #95 scares him from bold action and he defaults to eluding that man. Then he crosses the LOS. Now he knows he cannot throw. Instead of charging hard for the end zone, he tiptoes down the line. At 5:53 when #95 closes in, Milton does not try to stiff arm him or fight forward and maybe use his bulk or strength to fend off the defender. Instead he delicately turns his back and lets himself be pushed out of bounds. Granted that he had three OM guys closing on him and Milton probably could not have made it to the end zone. However, his wimpy instincts caused him not to even try. As for the idea of him lateraling backward, he did not have that option because no one was there.

Short answer: the guy makes scared, unwise decisions under pressure. He is also afraid to take hard football contact.

EDIT: I also observe that two receivers released to the end zone on the left side. So Milton could have taken his chances with them and did not necessarily have to heave the ball across his body back to the right.

Last edited:
He can never be a college QB. That experiment is over.

And it looks like Huepel failed to instruct him on some obvious but critical details for that play. Very disappointing.

In defense of the coaching staff I'm positive they thought that anybody with two working brain cells would know what to do. A decent peewee team would have known what to do.

VN Store

Back