Milton our qb next year?

Oh boy. Here’s the thing. There’s really nothing to worry about. Whichever of the three guys who will be competing for the job - Joe, Tayven, and Nico - is going to have to beat out the other two. That’s axiomatic, and I’m stating the obvious to emphasize it. Iron sharpens iron. I expect Joe to start next year. If you want to panic over meaningless minutes in one game, go ahead, but I expect him to be ready. If one of the younger guys beats him out for the job? That says a lot about their skill and progression, and will be very exciting.

I’ll go out on a limb that I don’t think is a real limb: if Nico beats out Milton for the starting job next year, he will be a Heisman contender as a true freshman.

I certainly wouldn’t use the word panicking in regard my feelings about Milton. And I’m definitely not basing my opinions on a single half of football. We’ve seen Milton play a lot. And he’s never been good. The scheme he is playing in is incredible. Wide open wrs running everywhere. And he’s just not good. Never has been.

Milton is 16-22 (one incompletion was the hail mary vs Bama that was actually very well thrown) for 360 yards, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions, he also has 44 yards rushing on 4 carries. This while playing mostly with 2nd and 3rd stringers and people are somehow seeing some kind of big faults in his game to the extent they think he's a completely lost cause? Hooker's QB rating on the season is 187. Milton's QB rating this season is off the charts ridiculous at 270. I've seen nothing from him that doesn't look dramatically improved this season.

Not sure why people are so dismissive of him and are insulting his intelligence. Milton graduated from Michigan in three years and will leave UT with a second degree. He also picked the offense up quickly and that's why he initially won the job.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't play well next season. Probably not Hooker level but we've really never seen any QB here play at the level Hooker is right now. 44 touchdowns and 4 interceptions is a stat like you'd see from prime Aaron Rodgers. Milton will likely play and put up big numbers, every Heupel QB does for the most part. If something happens and it's a freshman, his freshman QBs have also put up big numbers.

Milton is 16-22 (one incompletion was the hail mary vs Bama that was actually very well thrown) for 360 yards, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions, he also has 44 yards rushing on 4 carries. This while playing mostly with 2nd and 3rd stringers and people are somehow seeing some kind of big faults in his game to the extent they think he's a completely lost cause? Hooker's QB rating on the season is 187. Milton's QB rating this season is off the charts ridiculous at 270. I've seen nothing from him that doesn't look dramatically improved this season.

Not sure why people are so dismissive of him and are insulting his intelligence. Milton graduated from Michigan in three years and will leave UT with a second degree. He also picked the offense up quickly and that's why he initially won the job.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't play well next season. Probably not Hooker level but we've really never seen any QB here play at the level Hooker is right now. 44 touchdowns and 4 interceptions is a stat like you'd see from prime Aaron Rodgers. Milton will likely play and put up big numbers, every Heupel QB does for the most part. If something happens and it's a freshman, his freshman QBs have also put up big numbers.
There's a big difference in book smarts and football smarts. To me he just doesn't have the football smarts a QB needs. Great arm and size but doesn't have a "feel" for the game, doesn't perform well under pressure, doesn't see the field well.

Most likely gonna be Milton as QB1 coming out of spring camp, but the 2 and 2A won't be far behind either.

And THAT IS THE ISSUE. Milton is going to be given the keys to the Ferrari until he dings it up, and he will, probably in next year's UF game. Will Heupel make the change then or lose another game to decide to go with someone else? Milton for all of his physical skills is just not a very good P5 QB. This is why we provide no long term extensions to ANY coach until after they have 4 years of tenure. Heupel seems to have a weak spot and he's going to prove Milton is good even if it costs UT a season. If Nico is on campus he should be given a chance to start, no decision benching him for Milton should occur before he even takes the field. You know like Heupel did to Hooker. Thank goodness Hooker is such a high quality young man.

There's a big difference in book smarts and football smarts. To me he just doesn't have the football smarts a QB needs. Great arm and size but doesn't have a "feel" for the game, doesn't perform well under pressure, doesn't see the field well.

Those are the kind of things that can be improved with reps though. Right now, he's kind of like the baseball player that gets to play in little bursts, and might contribute in some ways, but isn't going to have a feel for the strike zone (yet).

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I hope so. He might be the most talented QB we have ever had, in terms of measurables. Dude looks like a demigod out there. I saw him throw a ball 50 yards in warmups without even stepping into the throw. I don’t want Nico being thrown to the wolves in the SEC immediately. If he can throw with better touch and make quicker decisions, he can be a beast.

Last edited:
Milton will never be ready. I love his moxy, love his competitiveness. He just ain't got it. Looks like Cam Newton, but not there between the ears. We'll need Iamaleava...

So we are 7-0 for the first time since 98 and the discussion is Milton at qb next year. Some of you are just miserable people.
IFNY.gif

VN Store

Back