Milton our qb next year?

chattavol420

Maybe the only mistake heupel has made thus far is choosing Milton prior to the start of last season…as opposed to playing multiple qbs to begin the year allowing someone to win the job against real competition. It was a mistake. I know a lot of people will say I wasn’t at practice and how dare me try to make an observation only a coach should make bla bla. But, we have all seen times when a coach handles a qb competition early in the year by playing multiple guys until one has clearly established himself. That’s what should’ve happened.

Anyway, my point for bringing this up is most around the program seem to believe Milton will be our quarterback next season. Kind of a placeholder until Jackson or Nico can take the reins. I hope that is not the case. Milton is not going to just all of the sudden become a good qb. He doesn’t lack knowledge of the offense or need to develop physically. He possesses all the physical ability and is an intelligent/high character kid. What he doesn’t possess is pocket awareness and moxie.

I expected him to pick a part that defense today with pinpoint accurate throws and lead three or four scoring drives. I realize we were run heavy but he just isn’t good.

Playing QB is all about Moxie, pocket awareness, understanding distance and timing, accuracy, and understanding when to move the sticks and went to take a shot. There were several situations Milton threw low percentage balls on third down when he could have easily ran for the first down allowing the offense another set of downs.

Anyway, for all the amazing decision heupel makes day in/day out he seems to have a flaw when it comes to a kid like Milton. I think he becomes Infatuated with these physical capabilities and thinks he can coach the Moxie/pocket awareness and Savviness into him. But he can’t. Who cares if your quarterback can do backflips? Or throw a ball 80 yards? It’s totally irreverent. I hope he allows a competition between Jackson and Nico to play out. But I don’t think that’ll happen. I think we’ll see Milton out there to start the year.

Pretty sure he was like 6-6 while playing with the 1’s.
I’m definitely not sold on him yet but I see Yuge improvement from last year. For one, he wants to run over someone. Where I’m not sold is him seeing the field we’ll enough to run this O…and touch passes

Maybe the only mistake heupel has made thus far is choosing Milton prior to the start of last season…as opposed to playing multiple qbs to begin the year allowing someone to win the job against real competition. It was a mistake. I know a lot of people will say I wasn’t at practice and how dare me try to make an observation only a coach should make bla bla. But, we have all seen times when a coach handles a qb competition early in the year by playing multiple guys until one has clearly established himself. That’s what should’ve happened.

Anyway, my point for bringing this up is most around the program seem to believe Milton will be our quarterback next season. Kind of a placeholder until Jackson or Nico can take the reins. I hope that is not the case. Milton is not going to just all of the sudden become a good qb. He doesn’t lack knowledge of the offense or need to develop physically. He possesses all the physical ability and is an intelligent/high character kid. What he doesn’t possess is pocket awareness and moxie.

I expected him to pick a part that defense today with pinpoint accurate throws and lead three or four scoring drives. I realize we were run heavy but he just isn’t good.

Playing QB is all about Moxie, pocket awareness, understanding distance and timing, accuracy, and understanding when to move the sticks and went to take a shot. There were several situations Milton threw low percentage balls on third down when he could have easily ran for the first down allowing the offense another set of downs.

Anyway, for all the amazing decision heupel makes day in/day out he seems to have a flaw when it comes to a kid like Milton. I think he becomes Infatuated with these physical capabilities and thinks he can coach the Moxie/pocket awareness and Savviness into him. But he can’t. Who cares if your quarterback can do backflips? Or throw a ball 80 yards? It’s totally irreverent. I hope he allows a competition between Jackson and Nico to play out. But I don’t think that’ll happen. I think we’ll see Milton out there to start the year.
I agree, all the physical tools are there. He just doesn’t have that feel for the game that Hooker does. I think Jackson does and he flashed it today with that run

Pretty sure he was like 6-6 while playing with the 1’s.
I’m definitely not sold on him yet but I see Yuge improvement from last year. For one, he wants to run over someone. Where I’m not sold is him seeing the field we’ll enough to run this O…and touch passes
Didn’t he lead 2 or 3 scoring drives today?

Reactions: VFLBerg
Hopefully we can blow out a couple of our remaining five games and Joe gets some game action. I hope Jackson’s injury was minor and hope he too, can get some game snaps.

Next season will take care of itself - let’s just keep winning one game at a time.

Oh boy. Here’s the thing. There’s really nothing to worry about. Whichever of the three guys who will be competing for the job - Joe, Tayven, and Nico - is going to have to beat out the other two. That’s axiomatic, and I’m stating the obvious to emphasize it. Iron sharpens iron. I expect Joe to start next year. If you want to panic over meaningless minutes in one game, go ahead, but I expect him to be ready. If one of the younger guys beats him out for the job? That says a lot about their skill and progression, and will be very exciting.

I’ll go out on a limb that I don’t think is a real limb: if Nico beats out Milton for the starting job next year, he will be a Heisman contender as a true freshman.

Milton looked great with the starting offensive line. They got a lot more pressure against the backup line which caused him to have to scramble, which is not his strong suit. He is throwing the ball with a lot more accuracy down field and with more touch. That was clearly his biggest flaw last year. In this offseason he can work on throwing on the run, just like Hooker did this year (which was the main area he was not as good in last year).

How does a coach not pick the guy who wins the spring and fall practice? Or in Milton's case just the fall. Clearly everything worked out good but I find it hard to believe Heupel and the staff stubbornly chose Milton over Hooker just because "he was their guy". That's ridiculous.

How does a coach not pick the guy who wins the spring and fall practice? Or in Milton's case just the fall. Clearly everything worked out good but I find it hard to believe Heupel and the staff stubbornly chose Milton over Hooker just because "he was their guy". That's ridiculous.
Yes
was, and apparently continues to be

VN Store

Back