Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek

If we are going to single out a generation for "ruining" everything, it has to be Baby Boomers (parents of Millennials). They are far more entitled than Millennials are, and as previously mentioned, they raised Millennials.

Baby boomers didn't raise the millennials unless they got a real late start.

Baby boomers didn't raise the millennials unless they got a real late start.
Sure they did. Boomers were born all the way until about 1965. Most researchers put the Millennials starting to be born in 1980, although I think there's a ton of difference between someone born in 1980 and someone born in 1995.

Sure they did. Boomers were born all the way until about 1965. Most researchers put the Millennials starting to be born in 1980, although I think there's a ton of difference between someone born in 1980 and someone born in 1995.
I always thought the Gen Xers were 1965-1980 and Gen Y was 1980-1995. Millennials were 1995 and afterwards. There is some overlap with late Gen Xers and early Gen Y.

In that case, Gen Xers raised millennials.

Reactions: BearCat204
I always thought the Gen Xers were 1965-1980 and Gen Y was 1980-1995. Millennials were 1995 and afterwards. There is some overlap with late Gen Xers and early Gen Y.

In that case, Gen Xers raised millennials.
The traditional start date for Millennials seems to be 1980.

Millennials - Wikipedia

IMO, if you're going to start Millennials at 1980, then they need to place people born starting around 1995 in this new "Generation Z" category. Kids born in 1995 have had a much different upbringing than kids born in 1980.

My parents were '50 and '52, I was '82 and I have two younger siblings. Depends on who you ask, but just based on how I identify, I like the term Xennial. I have a ton in common with both my sister and her peers born in '72 and my brother and his peers born in '89, and they don't have a ton in common. For example, I didn't really use the internet much until college, but I also play xbox live. Boomers raised all of us.

My parents were '50 and '52, I was '82 and I have two younger siblings. Depends on who you ask, but just based on how I identify, I like the term Xennial. I have a ton in common with both my sister and her peers born in '72 and my brother and his peers born in '89, and they don't have a ton in common. For example, I didn't really use the internet much until college, but I also play xbox live. Boomers raised all of us.
From what I can tell, whether or not you are a "digital native" is a key factor. I don't see much difference in people born from about 1975 - 1990. That timeframe overlaps a couple different generations, but people born in that time have more in common than they have differences.

Once you start talking about people who have no concept of what it is like to live without the internet, or especially without a smartphone, you really notice differences. If you have no conception of the world without being able to access the internet at your fingertips at any time, it affects how you see the world and what your interests are. Now, I was pretty young when the internet came along, but I certainly remember what it was like to not have a computer or the internet in the house, or dial-up internet that was good only for reading news, and I certainly remember what it is like to not have a cellphone or smartphone. I don't think I had a phone with the internet on it until sometime in college, which wasn't all that long ago. In contrast, if you were born in 1997, the iPhone debuted when you were 10, and your first cell phone was definitely something that did more than call and text. More or less, you don't know what life is like without it.

I'm 31. In most cases, I feel like I have more in common with a 40-year-old than I do a 25-year-old, even though we're further apart in age and the 40-year-old might be married with 2 kids in school (I'm married, but no kids yet). On the weekends, or with free time, I do activities more associated with a 25-year-old than a 40-year-old, but it still seems like I don't have as much as common with them. Maybe I'm just an old soul, but I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATC_VOL
I've just thought about it, and probably a clear and decisive way of distinguishing between Gen Ys and Millennials would be if their parents were Baby Boomers or Gen Xers. Generation Y are Baby Boomer kids and Gen Xers are the parents of the Millennials. Seems like around between 1985-1990 is where you have a lot of crossover between the two groups.

I've just thought about it, and probably a clear and decisive way of distinguishing between Gen Ys and Millennials would be if their parents were Baby Boomers or Gen Xers. Generation Y are Baby Boomer kids and Gen Xers are the parents of the Millennials. Seems like around between 1985-1990 is where you have a lot of crossover between the two groups.

I think it's less about who raised you and more about the technology you grew up on.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I agree with some of it as well. However, I don't agree that the big bad corporate is main problem.

I agree with some of it as well. However, I don't agree that the big bad corporate is main problem.
Yeah, that video kind of lost me on that point. I think corporations should deal with the problem, but they are not the cause of the problem.

Meh, Generation Y and Millennials essentially had the same technology. Like I said, there is a lot of crossover between the two groups, imo.

Aren't Y and Millennials the same thing? However we want to label things, technology is the differentiator.

Gen X kids on Fri. night = what's a VHS?
Xennial kids on a Fri. night = me and my buddies rented 2 movies and a video game and we're gonna go until our eyes bleed
Millennial kids on a Fri. night = me and my buddies, some of whom I've never met in person, are playing Halo until our eyes bleed
Post-Millenial kids on a Fri. night = me and my buddies, some of whom I've never met, are making content and sharing it

What is the point in saying there is a lot of crossover between two different labels of the same group? Wouldn't it be 100% crossover?
Not necessarily. I think you have some kids in a certain age range that could be classified as either. I guess to your point, however, is that there may only be subtle differences between a Gen Y and Millennial. So to that point, you may be correct calling them just one group.

Meh, Generation Y and Millennials essentially had the same technology. Like I said, there is a lot of crossover between the two groups, imo.
Not exactly. There are some Millennials who are not digital natives...the ones born before about 1990. Millennials born in the 80s probably have more in common with Gen Xers than Millennials born after 1990. I know that I seem to. I know this is anecdotal, but I feel really, really old when hanging around people in their early to mid 20s. I don't feel younger when hanging around people in their late 30s to early 40s, even though the age gap is the same.

As Huff said I think it has to do with how old you were when certain technologies (basically the internet and smartphones) came along. If you were 20 when the iPhone debuted, you know of a world where one didn't exist. You had to learn, or at least play around with it, to figure out how to use it. If you were 10 when the iPhone came along, it's a different ballgame.

I don’t like this. But I’m similar.

Parents are ‘50 and ‘57

My older sister ‘81 me ‘83

I have younger sibling with the same mom ‘95 ‘97

Me and my older sister are similar in many ways, work ethic and such. My younger bro and sis? Nothing like us. Lazy and entitled like no others. Weird.

[/QUOTE]

My parents were 52 and 54. I was born in 77 ( year Elvis died) but my wife was born 82. And is hot. I am blessed. Anyway, i guess technically we are different gens, but thats shtoopid IMO. Our upbringings werent different at all almost 5 years apart.

How old am I? I remember my gparents were the 1st folks i knew to get a microwave, bout 1981? I had a pager as a highschool kid, got a cellphone junior or senior year, 94 or 95. Think 94. As a kid, my moms car had an 8 track player. My favorite music up until 8th grade was on cassettes, not CDs. Had a tyco or something record player at 3 or 4yo...1st car didnt have power windows or locks etc, 1st truck i drove didnt have power steering... i remember the first time i saw a computer in person that wasnt as big as a school cafeteria was AT school...our entire elementary school got 2!!!! Apple 2e personal computers...my mom saved up for over a year to get us an Atari 2600...about 2 years after its release. Centipede and PONG were beyond cool, had to play on a black and white TV though unless company was over so mom could watch the color TV...

Anybody else feel ancient yet??? I am 41 btw, and if you cut my wrinkled head off, my body could be identified as probably 31...those memories up there make me feel like i poured Moses a glass of tea Circa 200BC or something....

Generation Z’s 7 Lessons for Surviving in Our Tech-Obsessed World

Big quotes here, IMO:

Members of Gen Z do tend to have this in common: From their early teen years, their world has been defined by social media and mobile devices. Older cohorts may see these as tools, but they’re the water in which this generation swims.
Gen Z doesn’t distinguish between online and IRL (in real life).
Ms. Sharp says that psychologically, she’s half present in real life and half present on Instagram, Twitter and other social channels where she connects directly with her friends and fans.
For them, Instagram is the new Facebook—the first place they share by default. On Instagram, everyone’s a content creator, says Ms. Havighorst, which means almost everything they put up is a deliberate act of personal branding. Even if it’s just for their friends, they know their audience and what they want their followers to take away from every post.
Tiffany Zhong, 22, is chief executive of Zebra IQ, which helps companies get insights on Gen Z. In a focus group that included 20 members of her generation from across the U.S., she found their news consumption was almost entirely driven by social media. They weren’t seeking out the news, only happening on it, and they read a lot of headlines.

Much of this certainly explains the lack, or complete absence of, "IRL" social skills.

VN Store

Back