Mike Leach to Miss. St.

Between him at MSU and Tosh .O Kiffen at Ole Miss, the Egg Bowl just got more interesting; the post game interviews should be highly entertaining

Points scored comparison ?
Edit: Educate me on the differences between their offensive philosophies. I’m interested to know.
Leach is an Air Raid purist and is set in his ways. Has maybe 5 passing concepts and maybe 2 running concepts. Passes the ball 75% of the time. Will win you some games with offensive simplicity but also lose you game by being easy to gameplan for (ask Washington). Also has terrible defenses and usually not very physical football team in general.

Kiffin is a Spread/West Coast guy who adapts to the players he has. More balanced playcalling (yes I've heard Leach's opinion on this and it's BS IMO). More balance leads to a better chance of not being shut down due to being one dimensional.

Leach vs Kiffin in the Egg Bowl, that should be a treat

It's been years since I've given that game more than a passing thought. It's gonna be circled on my calendar now though. The pre and post game pressers are gonna be well worth the price of admission. Hell, if I'm Herbie and the boys, I make it a stop next year...and maybe even make it an annual event.

Kiffin's offensive philosophy>Leach's offensive philosophy
Leach's offensive truly requires less talent on the field to be successful. Kiffen will have to recruit very well to compete with the standard offense vs. SECW competition. Easy to gameplan for Kiffen compared to Leach. Leach's offense is similar to gameplanning against the option. Just the antithesis of it.

Leach's offensive truly requires less talent on the field to be successful. Kiffen will have to recruit very well to compete with the standard offense vs. SECW competition. Easy to gameplan for Kiffen compared to Leach. Leach's offense is similar to gameplanning against the option. Just the antithesis of it.

But Leach is guaranteed to have two losing seasons in his first two years. That’s the leach way. 10 wins in 2 years sounds about right.

Kiffin runs multiple things out of multiple sets and is balanced. Leach runs about 7 plays out of 4 sets and doesn't believe in innovating the simplistic form of Air Raid he runs. He teaches inside zone as basically his only running concept with maybe a little outside zone. Lincoln Riley is way harder to gameplan for than Leach as far as Air Raid coaches go.

One of the things that often goes undiscussed is a main part of the air raid philosophy ...practice time. An option route seems a simple concept, but might take dozens of reps per receivers and qb’s versus all the different possible coverages.

In other words the concept will work against any coverage if the players make the right decisions or....

You can spend that time teaching 5 other check calls.

One of the things that often goes undiscussed is a main part of the air raid philosophy ...practice time. An option route seems a simple concept, but might take dozens of reps per receivers and qb’s versus all the different possible coverages.

In other words the concept will work against any coverage if the players make the right decisions or....

You can spend that time teaching 5 other check calls.
That's Run N Shoot concepts

That's Run N Shoot concepts

Y-mesh is in both air raid and R&S, Leach runs this every possible way, one back sets, empty, RPO, it’s the same concept but even it gives the slot “options” depending on the defense.

Even 4 verts, is gonna be different versus one high or two high.

Y-mesh is in both air raid and R&S, Leach runs this every possible way, one back sets, empty, RPO, it’s the same concept but even it gives the slot “options” depending on the defense.

Even 4 verts, is gonna be different versus one high or two high.
I'm aware there are spots to "sit" in the coverage on mesh and Verts is different based on Middle of Field Closed/Open, but that's not the same as having the ability to run a post/dig/out and it be determined post snap.

Leach is an Air Raid purist and is set in his ways. Has maybe 5 passing concepts and maybe 2 running concepts. Passes the ball 75% of the time. Will win you some games with offensive simplicity but also lose you game by being easy to gameplan for
Actually pretty spot-on. We have a local high school coach here who actually knows Leach personally, spent two weeks with him and several other coaches in Pullman back in 2018, and who learned the offense from Hal Mumme himself.

Before this season, he and I spoke at length about Leach, and he explained just how simple Leach's playbook is. They run less than 10 basic plays, and if they add one in, they take one out. The key to the whole offense working is that the QB makes the right decisions. But it doesn't necessarily have to be an all-passing offense. They had a game this season where they threw for 591 yards, and for the rest of the season, teams set their defenses to force them to run the ball more. The only game they lost in the rest of the regular season was to a team that made the regional finals. They beat everyone else running the ball out of the Air Raid.

Basically, it's like any other system. Execute it well with the right personnel and it will work. Don't execute, and you will get executed.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
I'm aware there are spots to "sit" in the coverage on mesh and Verts is different based on Middle of Field Closed/Open, but that's not the same as having the ability to run a post/dig/out and it be determined post snap.

It also depends on the leverage, inside/outside, etc... but yeah, I watched Tom Brady get pissed all year because at times, he sees it differently than some of his receivers. These aren’t new concepts and they aren’t exclusive to Leach, Mumme, Kingsbury, etc...the NFL has been borrowing this stuff, they just will not call it air raid or run and shoot. The Ravens are a perfect example, except for the linemen’s splits.

Actually pretty spot-on. We have a local high school coach here who actually knows Leach personally, spent two weeks with him and several other coaches in Pullman back in 2018, and who learned the offense from Hal Mumme himself.

Before this season, he and I spoke at length about Leach, and he explained just how simple Leach's playbook is. They run less than 10 basic plays, and if they add one in, they take one out. The key to the whole offense working is that the QB makes the right decisions. But it doesn't necessarily have to be an all-passing offense. They had a game this season where they threw for 591 yards, and for the rest of the season, teams set their defenses to force them to run the ball more. The only game they lost in the rest of the regular season was to a team that made the regional finals. They beat everyone else running the ball out of the Air Raid.

Basically, it's like any other system. Execute it well with the right personnel and it will work. Don't execute, and you will get executed.
I like the air raid passing concepts. Just not so much a fan of the philosophy Leach uses. I like Riley's approach with using gap schemes in the running game along with air raid passing concepts.

VN Store

Back