Mike Gundy and T.Boone Pickens

I was thinking the timing of our head coaching searches. Does anyone think that Mike Gundy may have actually pulled the trigger under Dave Hart or John Currie if like now T. Boone Pickens wasnt there to match dollar for dollar? Or do you think it was more of him being alumni that kept him. I mean we aware either way flirting with Tennessee got him raises. But i almost think had the mega booster wasnt in picture the Mullet might be on the hill right now. Not really important as i think we have good coach learning on the job but just curious what the Vol bretheren think.
Let it gooooooooooooo!

So when did Gundy become such a hot commodity? He had a couple of decent teams, big deal!
Two things, IMO:
1 - He had a couple really good teams about 10 years ago (as you mentioned) at a school that doesn't have a long history of football success
2 - He has something of a Mike Leach quality to him. Wore a mullet there for a while, kind of quirky and speaks his mind, the famous "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant, etc.

Reactions: BigBadVol
It doesn’t matter to me. I didn’t want him anyway.... he’s an overrated and overhyped also ran

He's good enough to be a perennial 2nd-3rd place team in a 4th placed conference. He'd make a good OC or he just knows good OCs when he see them!

The big unknown is: How would the "Mullet" play out recruiting-wise in the Southeast?

Seems to work in the Great Plains.

If T. Boone is the major factor of Gundy not coming to Tennessee, then I am forever grateful to the man. May he rest in peace.

VN Store

Back