Mike Gundy and T.Boone Pickens

DeepSpringsVol

Getting to prominence will take time.
I was thinking the timing of our head coaching searches. Does anyone think that Mike Gundy may have actually pulled the trigger under Dave Hart or John Currie if like now T. Boone Pickens wasnt there to match dollar for dollar? Or do you think it was more of him being alumni that kept him. I mean we aware either way flirting with Tennessee got him raises. But i almost think had the mega booster wasnt in picture the Mullet might be on the hill right now. Not really important as i think we have good coach learning on the job but just curious what the Vol bretheren think.

He played us for a raise. Coaches do it all the time. Feign interest somewhere else just so Mr. Alum Moneybags will give a blank check to the college. Look at Gus with Auburn and Arkansas. Gundy is happy where he is.......6-8 wins a year, no pressure.

I think Pickens left the university over 600 million, so he can still match Tennessee.

Pickens money didnt just all disappear when he died. His family will be big contributors for many years, and if not greater donors, since they will be continuing his legacy.

Reactions: bpalmer28
T and Grundy really didn’t get along real well. T thought they should be winning more, especially with the $ he’d given them.

Reactions: sport3500
I was thinking the timing of our head coaching searches. Does anyone think that Mike Gundy may have actually pulled the trigger under Dave Hart or John Currie if like now T. Boone Pickens wasnt there to match dollar for dollar? Or do you think it was more of him being alumni that kept him. I mean we aware either way flirting with Tennessee got him raises. But i almost think had the mega booster wasnt in picture the Mullet might be on the hill right now. Not really important as i think we have good coach learning on the job but just curious what the Vol bretheren think.
Do not want Gundy anywhere near the hill.

I know for a fact the offer was intriguing enough to talk it over with the wife.

I never have understood this love affair a few fans have with Gundy. Do you know what 7-6 translates to in the SEC?

Reactions: Special Ed

I think the gosh darn University of Tennessee should not be where coaches learn on the job. Unfortunately for me the administration and boosters disagree and they are the ones writing the checks. Until I toss a few million into the kitty (which is not likely) all I can do is whine on a message board.

I know this because Behr said so. Well sort of... ;)

Reactions: Pineyvol and Behr
I think the gosh darn University of Tennessee should not be where coaches learn on the job. Unfortunately for me the administration and boosters disagree and they are the ones writing the checks. Until I toss a few million into the kitty (which is not likely) all I can do is whine on a message board.

I know this because Behr said so. Well sort of... ;)
Phil Fulmer and D.Cutcliffe learned on the job here. Likely a few more but memory ain't what it used to be.

I think he prefers the business up front and party in the rear mindset of the Big 12 and is scared of the all business attitude of the SEC.

T. Boone was a big time sugar daddy for OKSt. I'm sure he still left a healthy sum as a parting gift. But he will be sorely missed by University!

It doesn’t matter to me. I didn’t want him anyway.... he’s an overrated and overhyped also ran

VN Store

Back