Michigan job?

Okay, wow.

This casual conversation we're having certainly isn't worth all THAT. [meant for SJT, 2 posts up, not Vowel, just above]

You might've gone off the deep end there, SJT. :)

For Vowel, I would only respond that Knoxville and Chattanooga are really cool towns. Murfreesboro, too. I've never seen blight in any of them. I'm sure it's there...just so completely NOT a part of the town's character that most visitors never even notice it. A lot of cities and towns up north, completely different vibe; the blight and tired greyness is an integral part of their character.

As for the snow, well, you do you, brother. I hate it after about a week, and detest it after about a month. And I was big into the outdoor sports (skiing, cross country skiing, though not hockey or ice skating). That's not nearly enough to offset the shut in, dark, gloomy nature of a third of each year, nor how cold it can be through the spring and in much of the fall.

As you said: to each his own. For me, there is no comparison; Tennessee wins in about a dozen ways.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Okay, wow.

This casual conversation we're having certainly isn't worth all THAT.

That's one way to avoid simply saying your generalization wasn't correct.

I've never seen blight in either of them. I'm sure it's there, just so much NOT a part of the town's character that most visitors never even notice it. A lot of cities and towns up north, completely different vibe; the blight and tired greyness is an integral part of their character.
Considered a job in Chattanooga a few years back. Really wanted to move to TN and get back closer to "home". It was a turn off. KC is a nicer city than Chattanooga. Commuting around the city looked like a nightmare. The roads were in poor condition. The area around the place of business I considered was run down. I have visited the area for work or interviews several times over the years. I've tried to find something appealing about the city or area... and haven't yet.

Reactions: bpalmer28
That wasn't my intent.

This conversation simply isn't that important. Not worth reading two full screens of text over.

You went overboard, brother. And this from a guy known for long responses.

That wasn't my intent.

This conversation simply isn't that important. Not worth reading two full screens of text over.

You went overboard, brother. And this from a guy known for long responses.
Again, you could have just said that you over generalized. Detroit doesn't represent all of the people or places of Michigan than Memphis does TN or even ATL does GA. There are two distinct states called "Georgia". The one inside the perimeter and the one outside. Same is generally true of Michigan... and Missouri and Illinois for that matter.

Considered a job in Chattanooga a few years back. Really wanted to move to TN and get back closer to "home". It was a turn off. KC is a nicer city than Chattanooga. Commuting around the city looked like a nightmare. The roads were in poor condition. The area around the place of business I considered was run down. I have visited the area for work or interviews several times over the years. I've tried to find something appealing about the city or area... and haven't yet.

My first job out of College in 74 was in Chattanooga. I lived in East Ridge and took the interstate to downtown. When I went over Missionary Ridge I couldn't make out the buildings for the brown haze from steel mills. We were told then that living/working in chatt was equivalent to smoking a pack a day.
The steel mills cleaned up or left town. The air got better. We also lived there from 87-03.
I still think the nicest people I have lived around were the Chattanoogans. We've also lived in Cleveland, Johnson City, Knoxville and Nashville.

Edit: The commute is a nightmare. The mountains prohibit new roads. Well, we are too cheap to build a tunnels for interstates or build new interstates .
OTOH, Chatt is not that large , and the traffic isn't materially worse than other cities.

NO!
Have you ever been to Ann Arbor Michigan?

It’s very nice. I live 15 minutes from it. I will give credit where it’s due. However, my Michigan fan coworkers have this ridiculous superiority complex when it comes to UT, which is perplexing to me. They recruit at the same level or below Tennessee, and that was when we had no results on the field to sell. Facilities are about the same. Tennessee instate talent is about the same as Michigan. Tennessee borders more states with way more talent than Michigan. All they have over UT is an easier path to the playoffs, which will go away with a 12 team format, and better history from the 1880’s to the 1920’s. There’s only about 5 fan bases where if they want to say their program is way better than us, I’d have to agree. That’d be Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and USC. And with each passing year, idk about Notre Dame. We did just win a NY6 bowl with ease and they haven’t won one in 30 years.

Last edited:
Edit: The commute is a nightmare. The mountains prohibit new roads. Well, we are too cheap to build a tunnels for interstates or build new interstates .
OTOH, Chatt is not that large , and the traffic isn't materially worse than other cities.
I've lived in/near Charlotte, Seattle, Chicago, KC, STL, and ATL. Chatt is as bad as cities several times larger than it is. I have visited many large cities like LA, SD, Dallas, San Antonio. The lack of highways to carry commuters is bad but the maze of poorly maintained backstreets is even worse.

One of the things that led me to turn the job down was that I did not believe there was a place I would want my family to live that wouldn't require a commute longer than 45 minutes.

Okay, wow.

This casual conversation we're having certainly isn't worth all THAT. [meant for SJT, 2 posts up, not Vowel, just above]

For Vowel, I would only respond that Knoxville and Chattanooga are really cool towns. Murfreesboro, too. I've never seen blight in any of them. I'm sure it's there...just so completely NOT a part of the town's character that most visitors never even notice it. A lot of cities and towns up north, completely different vibe; the blight and tired greyness is an integral part of their character.

As for the snow, well, you do you, brother. I hate it after about a week, and detest it after about a month. And I was big into the outdoor sports (skiing, cross country skiing, though not hockey or ice skating). That's not nearly enough to offset the shut in, dark, gloomy nature of a third of each year, nor how cold it can be through the spring and in much of the fall.

As you said: to each his own. For me, there is no comparison; Tennessee wins in about a dozen ways.

Go Vols!

No town’s blight has anything on Detroit’s lol.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I've lived in/near Charlotte, Seattle, Chicago, KC, STL, and ATL. Chatt is as bad as cities several times larger than it is. I have visited many large cities like LA, SD, Dallas, San Antonio. The lack of highways to carry commuters is bad but the maze of poorly maintained backstreets is even worse.

One of the things that led me to turn the job down was that I did not believe there was a place I would want my family to live that wouldn't require a commute longer than 45 minutes.
Chatt - Gotta go noth toward the valley. Red Bank, Signal Mtn, Soddy Daisy, maybe Hixon. Get small town lux, with city access. THen on Saturday mornings you jump over the hill to Sequatchie Valley and sit in the overlook enjoying the view.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Chatt - Gotta go noth toward the valley. Red Bank, Signal Mtn, Soddy Daisy, maybe Hixon. Get small town lux, with city access. THen on Saturday mornings you jump over the hill to Sequatchie Valley and sit in the overlook enjoying the view.
Yeah. The job was in the industrial part of town. It took me about 15-20 minutes just to get to a freeway in light traffic. I've gotten too old to spend my time behind a windshield every day.

Did you look at Signal Mtn?, North of town?
Industrial part of town = (south of town)?

No. Heupel views the SEC as the premier conference in CFB (rightfully so) and he knows that he has all of the tools to succeed at Tennessee. I truly believe that he wouldn’t leave Tennessee for another school and maybe not even a NFL job.
With Nico at QB and an improving defense, there's a real possibility that he establishes himself as the best coach in college football over the next 3-4 years.

Yeah. The job was in the industrial part of town. It took me about 15-20 minutes just to get to a freeway in light traffic. I've gotten too old to spend my time behind a windshield every day.

No doubt. My 3-4 hour round trip commutes are gladly over.

Ouch!!!!!
Hopefully that wasn't 5 days/week?
Occasionally 6. One of my production lines worked 24/7/364. THe other 6 days mostly. I'd go in, but they told me their time off was not seeing me on the weekends and they didn't need me there. THey were really good teams had we had earned great repsect for each other. So, as long as they accomplished what they needed, I agreed to take weekends off. But, I still would drop in maybe one saturday morning a month to say I know you have to be here.... Plus there were other BCL's that lived more local that were there if mine needed anything minor and had no issues making rounds. But, in the early gonigs when I had just started, I told them they'd have to suffer through it till I got some time behind me. I wasn't gonna be a new hire that was ditching weekends.

When I was doing scrap yards, they didn't like seeing me on Saturday either.

When you're in Mfg in a small area, sometimes you have to branch out for the jobs.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Yeah. Do you really think that's the only place that's had water quality issues or experienced the decay of decades of corrupt leadership? I haven't lived in Flint... but I have lived near Atlanta.

Some of the urban areas for sure. But that's like judging Tennessee by Memphis or Missouri by St Louis or Oregon by Portland. I know a few people from Michigan and northern Indiana. One is from the U.P. There are some really great places and people in these states.

That doesn't mean Michigan is correctly represented by the pictures you posted or the generalization you made. The decline of the auto industry was a function of things Michigan could control and other things it could not. Unions, poor management, and government regulation made producing cars and components in Michigan and other states unsustainable. But they also found themselves like many others competing with effective slave labor in other countries.

The decline of the auto industry in the north involved a loss of people and money. However in some respects other areas of all of those states got better by some of the more corrupt influences losing power. Detroit has lagged Pittsburgh and may be a lost cause. But again the generalizations aren't accurate. FWIW, the Saturn experiment in TN didn't work out any better, did it?

The context was the pictures you posted. In general, TN is a better business environment than Michigan. TN has a fairly long history I believe as a Right to Work state. That mass exodus you mentioned resulted in a shift in the Michigan legislature. They became a right to work state 10 years ago because the "good" and socially/economically healthy areas of the state were able to override the veto of a Dem governor. I believe they were only able to enact a law that impacted private sector workers. And where do we continue to see problems in that state, particularly Detroit? Government and public sectors.

Actually, it is the "caveats" that you are pointing to. Michigan has a lot of "gorgeous" areas. Do a Google search of the Upper Peninsula. Or just "Michigan". Parts of the state are hilly. They have a very long shoreline on the Great Lakes. Again, just not fair to judge how "pretty" a state is by its rundown urban areas.

Cropland isn't particularly "pretty" in the winter but neither are low woody hills. Few things are prettier than winter wheat when it first starts to green up in the spring or corn fields in June. Michigan is also a good place for apple orchards and one of the best placed on the planet for blueberries. You are free to "not" like things like that or find them "gorgeous"... I do.

I don't care to live in any city- north, south, east, west. They're all for the most part ugly. Guys who like cold and snow would say you are stupid for not appreciating snow mobiles and ice fishing. You are just making generalizations that aren't correct.

There are A LOT of people who would disagree. The 10 Worst Places to Live in Tennessee

And being "gorgeous" is as subjective as you can be about anything. I like TN. I grew up in the Smokies and definitely like some parts of TN better than others. But among other things there isn't a ton of diversity. Check out some of the Michigan shoreline pictures. Those are beautiful places that TN doesn't have.

I could give a lot of reasons someone wouldn't want to move from TN to MI... and maybe some the other way. But no place is all bad while other places are all good.

I don't think Heupel would leave but the pictures you posted likely wouldn't have much at all to do with his decision. He's from SD and may miss the snow. To him, Michigan wouldn't even be cold.

The people crapping on Michigan have never been to Michigan or only Metro Detroit. Guarantee that. Michigan, unfortunately, is indeed a state in decline and that is why all my family left and moved to TN. But it is still a good state overall and the people up here who love the state, I definitely can see why. Michigan people have a lot of pride in their state, just like TN. I just can’t see myself settling in Michigan long term because I don’t see a good trend for the health of the state, whereas TN is very well run imo and continuing to improve across the board.

As far as the winters go, you get used to it. I went down to Savannah, GA recently and it was about 55 degrees. People there were in winter coats and I was in a t-shirt lol. Plus, June-October in Michigan is magical.

The people crapping on Michigan have never been to Michigan or only Metro Detroit. Guarantee that. Michigan, unfortunately, is indeed a state in decline and that is why all my family left and moved to TN. But it is still a good state overall and the people up here who love the state, I definitely can see why. Michigan people have a lot of pride in their state, just like TN. I just can’t see myself settling in Michigan long term because I don’t see a good trend for the health of the state, whereas TN is very well run imo and continuing to improve across the board.

As far as the winters go, you get used to it. June-October in Michigan is magical.
Time changes things. If Michigan could move just a little more "right" then they'd have at least some shot at starting to resolve the urban problems.

I lived near Chicago for a while. I am as far north in terms of winter weather as I care to be in MO. I work with folks who love SD winters. They fish and hunt all the time. One of the bosses runs outside every day regardless. Not for me at my age... but more power to them.

Time changes things. If Michigan could move just a little more "right" then they'd have at least some shot at starting to resolve the urban problems.

I lived near Chicago for a while. I am as far north in terms of winter weather as I care to be in MO. I work with folks who love SD winters. They fish and hunt all the time. One of the bosses runs outside every day regardless. Not for me at my age... but more power to them.

To me, the main entity stopping that is the unions. If not for those, Michigan would be red all the way, like Ohio has become. But Obama bailing them out back in 2010 sealed their vote for the foreseeable future.

View attachment 531577

View attachment 531579

images

View attachment 531578
We have different definitions of 'gorgeous.' Starting with, Tennesseans are by and large ignorant of the phrase "lake effect snow." :)

lol, Go Vols!

Plenty of houses in Tennessee that look the same unfortunately. Meet you on the slopes or while snowmobiling!

Will absolutely agree that snow in March sucks, but right now it’s awesome.

Go Vols!!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Then you didn't due your due diligance. Chattanooga is a GREAT city with lots of nice safe suburbs well within 45 minutes.

Kansas sucks big time. Only Ohio is worse.

That is the point, Detroit sucks, but otherwise MI is a beautiful state.
Memphis sucks, but otherwise TN is a beautiful state.
East TN is certainly more pretty than west TN. At least to me.

We used to live in Johnson City, and a lady from Iowa moved next door. She said she didn't care for the mountains because it made her feel "closed in". To each their own.
Wow she sounds fun lol… why exactly did she move to Johnson City? That would be my next question.. the funniest is when the transplants in middle Tennessee realize they are not really near a beach or mountains… I roll my eyes so hard I almost fall over

Wow she sounds fun lol… why exactly did she move to Johnson City? That would be my next question.. the funniest is when the transplants in middle Tennessee realize they are not really near a beach or mountains… I roll my eyes so hard I almost fall over

Job transfer. Not a deal breaker for her, but she had lived in the flat lands all of her life. Maybe she like the idea of roads being laid out at right angles??

Reactions: LadyVolette

VN Store

Back