Memphis-UT matchup analysis

Anyone other than Golden on Jackson is a miss match, I think.

Richardson is amazing at guarding the 2-3, and decent at the 1 against slower PGs, but he may be a step too slow for Jackson. I think McRae is a worse perimeter defender than Golden and Richardson, which doesn't make sense to put on our most dangerous offensive threat. Richardson on Johnson and Adonis is going to be a good matchup.

I don't know what CCM will do, but I would put Richardson on Jackson. Richardson is 6'6" and will have the length on Jackson's outside shot. Trust me, Richardson can hang with Joe better than Golden can. Golden is slow footed.

It may present a mismatch with whoever is guarding Thomas, but since both Thomas and Crawford are struggling, you take that chance. Thomas may be able to backdown McRae, but he won't get around him.

Great write up.

Interesting you took UT, didn't see that one coming. I haven't felt good about this game for awhile, but as you mention if we can force Memphis to a half court game I like our chances.

Defense wins ball games and UT is definitely the better defensive team. It will be a great rivalry game!!

I don't know what CCM will do, but I would put Richardson on Jackson. Richardson is 6'6" and will have the length on Jackson's outside shot. Trust me, Richardson can hang with Joe better than Golden can. Golden is slow footed.

It may present a mismatch with whoever is guarding Thomas, but since both Thomas and Crawford are struggling, you take that chance. Thomas may be able to backdown McRae, but he won't get around him.

Would possibly mean that Golden draws Johnson, McBee draws Adonis. Interesting matchups.

About all we can do as UT fans is show up in orange and yell loud, so let's all do that!
Send tiger high back west with their tail between their legs!
GO VOLS!!!

If UT allows Memphis to crash the boards like Xavier did and get 2nd chance shots then UT will lose unless Memphis turns it over a lot and is careless with the ball.

This game may well come down to if Yemi and Golden can stay out of foul trouble. Golden will struggle defensively and Yemi is prone to fouling. Yemi got 8 boards in only 9 min against Xavier. Xavier's second chances went down with him in the game. Lopez may play a big role once again if Golden is struggling.

Would possibly mean that Golden draws Johnson, McBee draws Adonis. Interesting matchups.

Yea, forgot about McBee. McBee can play decent defense, but you may see McBee with limited minutes in this game.

If CCM continues with this starting lineup, I would guess McRae comes in pretty quickly. You might see Golden start out on Jackson and then switch once McRae comes in. I would love to see a McRae-Johnson matchup. Athleticism is off the charts.

If UT allows Memphis to crash the boards like Xavier did and get 2nd chance shots then UT will lose unless Memphis turns it over a lot and is careless with the ball.

This game may well come down to if Yemi and Golden can stay out of foul trouble. Golden will struggle defensively and Yemi is prone to fouling. Yemi got 8 boards in only 9 min against Xavier. Xavier's second chances went down with him in the game. Lopez may play a big role once again if Golden is struggling.

Both teams are prone to allow lapses in rebounds. I think this number is correct in that Memphis gave up 16 offensive rebounds in the first half alone against Loyola last night. Loyola outrebounded them 42-29, but that is without Black. Black will neutralize that a bit.

How has Adonis been playing? This might work if he has been struggling as well but reguardless whomever McBee is on we will have to be ready to help on the drive.

Struggling. But I still don't see how McBee could guard him. McRae is better suited- that is why I think McRae could come in quickly.

That said, CCM may just put Golden on Jackson and Richardson on Thomas. I don't agree with that, but we shall see on Friday.

Struggling. But I still don't see how McBee could guard him. McRae is better suited- that is why I think McRae could come in quickly.

That said, CCM may just put Golden on Jackson and Richardson on Thomas. I don't agree with that, but we shall see on Friday.

I don't think he can either. I still will be shocked if Richardson isn't on Jackson. The rest will be just be position man vs man. IMO

CCM has a tendency to play skylar fewer minutes against more athletics teams, or teams with athletic 2 guards, that may be the case Friday.

You may see...

Golden 30/ Lopez 10
Mcbee 15/ McRae 25
Richardson 35/ McRae 5
Hall 15/ Edwards 10/ Reese 15
Stokes 30/ Yemi 10

CCM has a tendency to play skylar fewer minutes against more athletics teams, or teams with athletic 2 guards, that may be the case Friday.

You may see...

Golden 30/ Lopez 10
Mcbee 15/ McRae 25
Richardson 35/ McRae 5
Hall 15/ Edwards 10/ Reese 15
Stokes 30/ Yemi 10

I think if Golden struggles to guard Jackson, Lopez might get more than 10 minutes. He at least can stay in front of him. That would allow McRae to play at the 2 and Richardson to stay at the 3. Golden could also slide in and play the 2. With Lopez and Golden on the floor together, Memphis would have a much harder time causing turnovers.

I think if Golden struggles to guard Jackson, Lopez might get more than 10 minutes. He at least can stay in front of him. That would allow McRae to play at the 2 and Richardson to stay at the 3. Golden could also slide in and play the 2. With Lopez and Golden on the floor together, Memphis would have a much harder time causing turnovers.

Hmmmm that's an interesting wrinkle to think about, I like.

And I know he hasnt shown it yet, but Lopez can hit the open 3.

What about a faster lineup with Lopez, Golden, Reese, McRae, and Kenny or Yemi? That might help with outside shooting plus some good ball handlers. Of course this lineup would not be an extended amount of time.

What about a faster lineup with Lopez, Golden, Reese, McRae, and Kenny or Yemi? That might help with outside shooting plus some good ball handlers. Of course this lineup would not be an extended amount of time.

I like the idea but that would put a lot of pressure on either Kenny or Yemi on the defensive glass.

I like the idea but that would put a lot of pressure on either Kenny or Yemi on the defensive glass.

That lineup would get hammered inside on the defensive end.

Reece, McRae, and Kenny are too slight in the shorts to match up against Thomas, Goodwin, and Black in the frontcourt.

Purely from a physical standpoint Yemi and Stokes will be on the court a lot.

Yes you would lose some rebounding which is why i said not an extended set. It would let us run a moreup tempo style and give our offense a boost.

Announced today that Tarik Black is doubtful for friday, which would shake up the matchups a bit.

Shaq Goodwin would guard Stokes on defense, and Stokes would be able to score on him much easier. Also means Ferro Hall and Stan Simpson get more minutes off the bench.

Announced today that Tarik Black is doubtful for friday, which would shake up the matchups a bit.

Shaq Goodwin would guard Stokes on defense, and Stokes would be able to score on him much easier. Also means Ferro Hall and Stan Simpson get more minutes off the bench.

Black killed us last year, would be huge if he doesn't play.

However, I'll believe it when I see him not out there.

Shaq plays hard, which to this point has equated to a no-show from Stokes when someone plays him hard.

Simpson looks like a player, but he's automatic for 5 fouls in 5 minutes.

If Black does make an appearance and everytime Simpson is in the game Martin better have the ball inside pounding into their chests. Those two are automatic foulers if you take the ball right into them.

Shaq plays hard, which to this point has equated to a no-show from Stokes when someone plays him hard.

Simpson looks like a player, but he's automatic for 5 fouls in 5 minutes.

If Black does make an appearance and everytime Simpson is in the game Martin better have the ball inside pounding into their chests. Those two are automatic foulers if you take the ball right into them.

Shaq brings effort, and he will give Stokes all he can handle while we're on offense, but he doesn't have defensive positioning down. He gets caught under the goal, or gambling on steals, etc. and he'll make things pretty easy for Stokes and Kenny.

Shaq brings effort, and he will give Stokes all he can handle while we're on offense, but he doesn't have defensive positioning down. He gets caught under the goal, or gambling on steals, etc. and he'll make things pretty easy for Stokes and Kenny.

Stokes is easy to guard in this offense. He stands still for 25 seconds on the block.

The one thing that bodes well for UT in this game is that Memphis always struggles against half court teams.

VN Store

Back