Memphis Football has us SKEERED?

When you go on the road at beat the #2 team in the nation, you can call it whatever you want.
That's sort of my point. Memphis beat a highly ranked UT team (albeit by a questional play) so those fans can call it what they want. UT beat a highly ranked UF team. Great game to attend!

I'd go a step further than most on this string have, no to playing Memphis-I see no good could come from UT ever playing them---to really make the point, we shouldn't even recruit in the Memphis Area! Recruiting Memphis HS players is kinda like saying, "we're scared they might play for someone else", we shouldn't be scared of anything. Don't play Memphis, and don't Recruit Memphis HS players-that'll fix em!

What??? I guess we should just go ahead and cut ties with Omari Thomas as well like 5 other guys committed from the Memphis area? This has to be blue font or this take us just ignorant.

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
Also, we already have a few posts this recent season that testify to the East Tennesee disdain for Memphis and West Tennessee players in blunt language.

To be honest, I’m a fan of the city Memphis. My wife is from Memphis, I like Memphis style BBQ, I like the movie The Firm, I like 36 , I like Marc Cohn.

I don’t have any siblings, but if I had had a little brother I would have asked my parents to name him Memphis.

Sounds like Memphis is ready to get it on. Why are we hesitating? Everyone understands they have been better than us for the past decade almost and probably will be for the next 2 years, but we've got to start establishing ourselves at some point. Not playing an obvious in-state rival looks like we don't have confidence.

Phillip Fulmer open to Tennessee playing in Memphis. Against Memphis? Maybe not.

We play in the premier conference, we are the better known football school, we get more in state talent than they do, and except for maybe the last 6-10 years, we have been by far the superior football program.

Playing them does 0 for us if we win and makes us look bad if we lose. Why do it?

Reactions: 12 Monkeys
If we played in Memphis it would be just like playing in Neyland just with 80k less seats.

The implication we are scared to play Memphis on their field is hilarious. Phil just doesn't want our fans to go down their and generate 50% of their season revenue for them.

Well some of us would like to see us play here.

We play in the premier conference, we are the better known football school, we get more in state talent than they do, and except for maybe the last 6-10 years, we have been by far the superior football program.

Playing them does 0 for us if we win and makes us look bad if we lose. Why do it?
Sad to have to resort to settling that we're in a good conference. Feels like Kansas (minus basketball).

We do play plenty of other G5 teams, one more that just so happens to be another TN school isn't that big a deal.

That and worst case scenario, we loose to a potential Top 25 team with a winning record. Beats getting humiliated 3 years in a row by Vandy.

VN Store

Back