Memphis Football has us SKEERED?

I'd go a step further than most on this string have, no to playing Memphis-I see no good could come from UT ever playing them---to really make the point, we shouldn't even recruit in the Memphis Area! Recruiting Memphis HS players is kinda like saying, "we're scared they might play for someone else", we shouldn't be scared of anything. Don't play Memphis, and don't Recruit Memphis HS players-that'll fix em!

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
If Memphis is below us why they ranked way higher and playing in a way better bowl game vs a team that's way better than us?
That's what happens when you play trash unranked teams all year. They played Navy (23) and Cincinnatti (21) as their hardest games. Let them go up against, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida and tell me that they will still be ranked 15th in the nation right now.

That's what happens when you play trash unranked teams all year. They played Navy (23) and Cincinnatti (21) as their hardest games. Let them go up against, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida and tell me that they will still be ranked 15th in the nation right now.
Yea, this ranking thing has got to go, we should be ranked much higher than we are now. We started slow, but CJP inspired the team and we went on a huge winning role, as of right now I'd say, as long CJP keeps inspiring our team, we could beat any of the top 5 teams.

They may be a recent rival for us in basketball. Not sure that they have ever been an in state rival to us in football.

Just now seeing this thread …..

Deangelo Williams received threats of violence, including death threats? Laughable. Don't know who made that up. A wishful Tiger High fan I suppose.

Fact is …. Deangelo Williams bit**ed out, and didn't want to play against the big boys, because he thought it would hurt his draft status if he were to be held in check (which he would have been).

He was riding high while destroying the Tulane's and East Carolina's of the world, but wanted no part of the Vols. That's the truth.

It actually caused a pretty big wedge between him and Tommy West, and the rest of the team for that matter. West publicly admonished him, and "questioned" his self proclaimed injury, that he didn't reveal until after pre-game warmups. It was a pretty big pissing contest down here in Memphis at the time.

Here's a condensed down, local media whitewashing of the incident, but still easy to read between the lines.

Williams - West agree on DeAngelo No Show at Tennessee
Exactly. Soddy-Daisy Tiger is a tigger apologist

Reactions: Jax_Vol
F em. Isn't Memphis in Arkansas ;)

Just about as well be. But there are a handful of athletes that we might get. And as long as they feel they are in Tennessee, I am not giving the razorbacks the deed.

ASU is a better football program than UNC. UNC can't win. If they win the game then they were supposed to. If ASU wins then they've failed.

I'd be all for UT setting up a series like UNC did with Appalachian.
And again, it would be like treating a non P-5 school like an equal. I think that would be a mistake.

I take your point about not treating Memphis as an equal. They aren't and never will be. But getting 2 home games for the price of 1 where the Vols should be the favorites in every game has some appeal. And it's not like they are being treated like a true rival with a long term series.
Unless UT drops their annual "big" OOC home and home then it will cost UT a home game. There won't be an equal revenue split and even if there were their stadium is tiny by comparison.

I think taking over and bathing their stadium in Orange would be a good look for the Vols and would help reestablish the Vols footprint on the western end of the state in recruiting.
I don't think the costs would be worth it.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
23 years later, that missed call on the kickoff return is still one of the worst I’ve ever seen. The whole stadium knew that guy was down, and they just let it go.

Wasn't he a recipient of an ESPY award for that return play during that season?

Meh, UT fans refer to UT's 2001 win at UF as "Draining the Swamp." UT won by 2 points.

Florida was a 17 pt. Favorite against UT and all prognosticators expected UF to wipe the floor with us and the game would be Rex Grossmans Heisman defining moment.

History had other plans.

Florida was a 17 pt. Favorite against UT and all prognosticators expected UF to wipe the floor with us and that was Rex Grossmans Heisman defining moment.

History had other plans.
Even after 18 years it is still sweet, I'm glad we didn't have to wait for another 18...we've beaten them three times after that-look out CJP is coming to get you, looks like 2020 we'll win another one!

Reactions: Rickyvol77
This tells me that the confidence in Knoxville of rebuilding in the next 4 years is questionable at best.

If I were Alabama, the Mississippi schools, Memphis, or Missouri I would plaster this all over my recruiting boards to let the kids in West Tennessee know that UT is no longer a significant program.

Also, we already have a few posts this recent season that testify to the East Tennesee disdain for Memphis and West Tennessee players in blunt language.

Reactions: knucklehead_vol

VN Store

Back