Memphis Football has us SKEERED?

Nothing to do with being “scared”, this ain’t the grade school playground. There’s just no benefit for Tennessee to play them, none. They can go pound sand, we don’t owe that crap school the respect or courtesy.

I don't think it is as harsh as that. More practically, they'd probably win pretty soundly there then come to Knoxville and not do as well.

Reactions: 08Vol
How much money would we make by playing Memphis?

No clue. Memphis had more games on TV than we did last year, so it could be substantial compare to Indiana State or whoever else we'd play instead.

The article says Fulmer is interested in playing IN Memphis, just not AGAINST Memphis. So it's not about geography or money.

Reactions: Mccage
This debate is at least 50 years old and nothing has changed. It does TN no good to play Memphis and elevate their FB program. It’s a one-sided deal.

But I grew up in Memphis and playing Ole Miss there back in the day was a big deal. Could only help our recruiting imo

I remember going to the the game the last time we played them, in Knoxville. Can't remember their RB but I do remember he was on the field during warm ups then told their coach he didn't feel like playing. So, I didn't get to see him play.

DeAngelo Williams. If he had played, we likely would have lost.

Sounds like Memphis is ready to get it on. Why are we hesitating? Everyone understands they have been better than us for the past decade almost and probably will be for the next 2 years, but we've got to start establishing ourselves at some point. Not playing an obvious in-state rival looks like we don't have confidence.

Phillip Fulmer open to Tennessee playing in Memphis. Against Memphis? Maybe not.
They're not an instate rival. They're a program that has been a joke for the majority of their history. I'm not sure if they've been better than UT for the past decade... they don't play Bama, UGA, UF, et al every year.

UT should be open to playing Memphis... but not in Memphis. That would be treating them as if they were an equal... which they are not.

They're not an instate rival. They're a program that has been a joke for the majority of their history. I'm not sure if they've been better than UT for the past decade... they don't play Bama, UGA, UF, et al every year.

UT should be open to playing Memphis... but not in Memphis. That would be treating them as if they were an equal... which they are not.

A few years ago this fanbase was excited to compete. We had a "bring it" attitude. Now we are so careful to not play someone in a certain place in case we lose.

Makes me sick.

I understand that Fulmer has a really bad memory of Memphis (State at the time) beating us with Peyton at the helm, but that was a long time ago. He doesn't have to schedule a series if he's scared for us, but I really wish he just wouldn't ACT like he's scared for us. It would look so much better if he'd say "We have a lot of quality programs interested in playing us and we take all of those interests seriously. We'll have to see how the schedules work out in the future".

Makes us look scared. Actually, I think we ARE scared.

I've always heard gamblers say to "Never bet against Memphis or for Tennessee". I don't see the point in playing them. We could play a team from another state and not have to hear they are the best team in the state if we lose.

Why the hell would we play them? We win then yay who cares we beat Memphis, but if we lose then we're a laughing stock. I don't know why Ole Miss is opening at Memphis this year they're just asking for an ugly loss to start the season. If we're gonna schedule a tough OOC opponent it might as well be another P5 team not a G5 team.
Heck we’ve lost to Vandy more often than not recently. A loss to Memphis st. Can’t be any worse than that.

I hear what you are saying but it's hard to ignore where we have been the last 12-15 years and how they've progressed. Bowl games every year and expected to be undefeated this year.

Hey Brother I hear ya, and it hurts to think about the last 12 years.............but I think this team is far and above better this year vs. last............I don't own orange glasses. I am pretty much a realist, CJP has all the pieces in place, UT still lacks some depth, but they will be able to give everyone a good punch in the mouth.

Reactions: Alto1
I've always heard gamblers say to "Never bet against Memphis or for Tennessee". I don't see the point in playing them. We could play a team from another state and not have to hear they are the best team in the state if we lose.

...but isn't there just the slimmest glimmer of possibility we MIGHT win?

Reactions: a vol n tears
A few years ago this fanbase was excited to compete. We had a "bring it" attitude. Now we are so careful to not play someone in a certain place in case we lose.

Makes me sick.

I understand that Fulmer has a really bad memory of Memphis (State at the time) beating us with Peyton at the helm, but that was a long time ago. He doesn't have to schedule a series if he's scared for us, but I really wish he just wouldn't ACT like he's scared for us. It would look so much better if he'd say "We have a lot of quality programs interested in playing us and we take all of those interests seriously. We'll have to see how the schedules work out in the future".

Makes us look scared. Actually, I think we ARE scared.
I'm not. The ONLY reason UT should EVER consider playing a non P-5 opponent outside of K'ville is recruiting.

Memphis U simply doesn't rate that respect.

I agree. No talent to attract from Memphis.
I said that's the ONLY reason to consider a game there. I probably wouldn't even play Memphis and make it look like UT considers them that much of an equal. If Bama wouldn't give Memphis a home and home... neither should UT- And Memphis ain't gettin a home and home with Bama.

I said that's the ONLY reason to consider a game there. I probably wouldn't even play Memphis and make it look like UT considers them that much of an equal. If Bama wouldn't give Memphis a home and home... neither should UT- And Memphis ain't gettin a home and home with Bama.

I admire your passion but I don't think we command any more respect than Memphis at this point. We certainly don't compare to Alabama in getting to say who and where we play. Might be better than this some day.

Not today though.

I admire your passion but I don't think we command any more respect than Memphis at this point. We certainly don't compare to Alabama in getting to say who and where we play. Might be better than this some day.

Not today though.
You won't EVER command the respect if you don't demand it. They aren't an equal. They won't ever rise to UT's level... but UT can lower themselves to theirs. It isn't "passion"... it is the reality regardless of who might win a match up at this unusual point in time.

The combined record of the teams they beat last year was 25-60. They beat one team with a winning record. The actually lost to a 3-10 Navy team.

I'm pretty sure even last year's UT team would have done that or better...

Last edited:
You won't EVER command the respect if you don't demand it. They aren't an equal. They won't ever rise to UT's level... but UT can lower themselves to theirs. It isn't "passion"... it is the reality regardless of who might win a match up at this unusual point in time.

The combined record of the teams they beat last year was 25-60. They beat one team with a winning record. The actually lost to a 3-10 Navy team.

I'm pretty sure even last year's UT team would have done that or better...

I'm not following you.

VN Store

Back