Maurer takes over at some point this season

Helton never called plays before last year. Now are you lying to fit your agenda again or just ignorant like usual ? It is one or the other. A first time play caller is the definition of inexperienced. So that is out the way.
You said he lacked experience. That's simply not true. Now you want to change the subject again so you can claim you were right. You really aren't a very intellectually honest person, are you?

So you aren't willing to prove something that the data doesn't support and you expect someone to prove something when the data already supports their position?
Done it ad nauseum... and all you do is handwave and abuse "stats". So no. I have no intention of wasting the hours of time it would take to watch each game from last year to get precise data... that you won't accept any way.

Like I said great trolling strategy. Claim a bunch of stuff that can't be proven without hours of film study. No matter what the numbers say your claims are so nebulous that it takes a long time to prove right or wrong. So we only have the numbers. The numbers say you are wrong like usual.
Your delusion doesn't make my facts and reasoning "trolling".

I said JG would be the guy and QD would transfer. It happened.
That's a bald-faced lie and you have to know that you are doing it. You said JG would start the season... I actually didn't make an ironclad prediction since I had no way of knowing. I just said all the signs pointed to QD... you went nuts and claimed I was making things up then too. I wasn't.... and I haven't since.

I said Dobbs would be the guy. You said he would get his job taken.
Another bald-faced lie. There were guys around claiming that Peterman should start. I said that he shouldn't and that I didn't think he would. I'm glad he found success elsewhere which should make you feel better about JG's prospects of becoming a good QB since Chaney was a factor... but you need to read through those 100's of posts and prove I ever said this. Or maybe you are just "trolling"?

The last thing Pruitt said JG was did great. Don't try to use a halftime quote when he is trying to motivate when we have his thoughts on the whole game. That is dishonest at best.
Don't try to twist it. YOU WERE WRONG and I was right. The issue is not what JG did in that game other than revealing in ironclad fashion that his decision making had been a problem while you claimed it was not. Chaney and Pruitt both revealed it as a point of emphasis for them. I hope he's improved. He looked improved in the first half after looking like the same JG in the first half.

Also the main gripe was once again the oline. Not one word about his comments AFTER THE GAME about the line lacking. Not surprising.
Yeah. I've made some comments about the OL. But to that point... funny how much "better" they looked in the 2nd half when JG's decision making sped up, huh? Predictably, you give JG all the credit and say nothing about the OL pass pro being better as well.

Once again give any shred of proof what you say is true. A stat, a quote. Anything that says he ran "simple " short plays.
And once again, accept a fact... any fact. Just admit that you were wrong for MONTHS about JG's decision making speed being a significant issue... and I'll consider spending some time to review every game and try to count all the slants, short crossing routes, skinny posts, drags, inside curls, inside option routes, etc that he didn't throw. As a bonus, I'll count the number of times he led a receiver on a deep route. You just have to show some REAL indication that you'll accept the TRUTH. So far... you haven't done that the whole time you've been on this board when it comes to JG.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Helton never called plays before last year.
Prove it. Otherwise you are trolling. Prove that he had literally NEVER called plays. That's your claim... don't try to wiggle out of it and change the point of discussion again.

A first time play caller is the definition of inexperienced. So that is out the way.
Yet coaches... say the opposite. They say play calling is very often collaborative making your argument of exaggerated importance.

Dude just stop. You talk about Helton like he is a seaoned play caller. At WKU, who was his head coach? Jeff Brohm. Helton held a title and likely took orders from Brohm. Just like he did at USC under his brother. The fact is Helton sucked as a play caller here. Like I said, he seemed like a fish out of water and he was. He was a small fish in a huge pond. He coached scared, safe and not to lose.
Nowhere have I claimed he was a seasoned playcaller. Exaggeration... typically means your argument is weak. Yours is.

I posted his resume. Your other "stuff" is speculation. It is just as likely if not more so that he did what he could with what he had- a QB with issues reading D's and making quick decisions and an OL that struggled both physically and at times with missed assignments.

You try to refute JGs YPA but you fail. You try to assess his skills and performances, strengths and weaknesses and most of the time you fail.
Why? Because you don't like what I say? Lots of people didn't like what I said about Jones. Lots of people made similar attacks on me then. Supposedly I was being a "know it all"... a hater. There was no way I could "know" what I was seeing and saying. Now... pretty much everyone agrees with the criticisms I made and many from inside the program have opened up to confirm a lot of the suspicions I posted here.

I don't claim to always be right. But I am not wrong about what JG has done in the past. The facts point toward my speculation about the coaching decisions concerning him.

Your desire not to see JG's weaknesses... doesn't mean he doesn't have them.

Its just clear that you cannot get past tge idea that the QB is not the most i,portantperson in an offense. He is just one part that requires at least 10 others to function at a high level.
It requires 11 guys doing their jobs... and the QB is still the most critical/important position. His decisions and play impact every other player on the O on every play.

Are you seriously trying to deny that a QB who doesn't read D's well, make good/quick decisions, et al impacts how others play and "look"? You know better.

I can. We won't have to wait too much longer. It's been a while since we've had a QB with this much "It" factor. Ice Man is probably the most recent.

That's it...I won't bring it up again.

Go Vols, and Godspeed Brian Maurer his offense.

Obviously you forget Tyler Bray.

I'm hopeful that Maurer will be a good QB... but you can't say a kid has the "it" factor... however you define it... based on split time in a single O&W game.

Hopefully the 2nd half of the scrimmage is indicative of where JG is right now, he continues to improve, and we all get to laugh at this thread this fall.

Reactions: jakez4ut
I won't bring it up again. Didn't you read what you quoted from me?

It's been a while since we've had two WRs near 1,000 yards receiving in a season. We're due ...

So that brings about Maurer being the starter after throwing two picks in a Spring Game against the 2nd team defense ???? Lol 😂 absolutely ridiculous.

I’m not a big JG fan but Maurer is definitely not ready to start and isn’t even close to taking the #2 spot. So again are you on Shrooms?

You think the OL would protect another QB better than JG? Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to throw a young inexperienced QB out there behind that OL.

This is where I start understanding the guys saying some here hate JG. It may not be ALL the OL, but it's enough of the problem you don't make this type of change unless JG gets hurt. IMO.

So I disagree. JG is the starter all year unless he's injured.

I wouldn't put 12 yr veteran Fridge Perry back behind that OL and feel good @ it. We either get a serious OL upgrade this year or we'll go thru another QB controversy all fall.

Disagree, and judging by some of the comments here about JG we aren't watching the same tape. You want JG to get the ball out maybe talk about getting an O-Line that can block longer than 1.5 seconds. Work on different route concepts in the passing game. Focus on improving consistency in the run game. Point is a lot of JG's failures aren't all on him.

Disagree, and judging by some of the comments here about JG we aren't watching the same tape. You want JG to get the ball out maybe talk about getting an O-Line that can block longer than 1.5 seconds. Work on different route concepts in the passing game. Focus on improving consistency in the run game. Point is a lot of JG's failures aren't all on him.

Were all of JG's pocket-woes his fault in 2018? No. We had undersized guys on the oline who couldn't hold blocks, and a plethora of missed assignments by even our "good" olinemen. The problem is that when the line did hold gave, JG adequate time, that he still had a propensity to make poor decisions, and ate sacks that he did not have to eat.

Can he improve upon that? I hope so. I hope Chaney can get him to a place where he has the field-vision of a QB who has been on campus for three seasons, but I have my doubts at this point.

Last edited:
Were all of JG's pocket-woes his fault in 2018? No. We had undersized guys on the oline who couldn't hold blocks, and a plethora of missed assignments be even our "good" olinemen. The problem is that when the line did hold gave, JG adequate time, that he still had a propensity to make poor decisions, and ate sacks that he did not have to eat.

Can he improve upon that? I hope so. I hope Chaney can get him to a place where he has the field-vision of a QB who has been on campus for three seasons, but I have my doubts at this point.

I doubt it also but if our coaches start him, then we have to assume he’s our best qb. If he doesn’t produce I hope they don’t get tunnel vision. If he pouts, tough titty.

Reactions: cgrish
Slightly hyperbolic take on my part, I admit it 😉

Haha I get it, really I do, but after 16 I've given up that way of thinking and I can't stand any of them rat bastids getting any satisfaction over us acknowledging to each other how dominating they have been over us. They know it and we know it. Just stfu and let'em play. Screw them.

We're 0-1with our (theirs and ours) new coaches. Blah blah blah.

I just deleted 3 paragraphs cause I know you nor anyone else wants to hear (read) a cheerleading speech.

Hope you had a good Easter weekend with the family .

Go Vols!

@gemlek JG has physical talent. If he improves his reads and decision making then he by no means has a "6 win ceiling". Your claim is no more reasonable than those who deflect all blame away from him. The guy can sling it. He just needs to get the mental part down. Hopefully he can.

@Behr IF JG's decision making improves... the O will get better even if the OL and run game are NOT appreciably better. If JG is closer to 3500 yards and 30 TD passes... the O gets better regardless. If the OL and run game get better as well... UT could make a significant jump.

Reactions: Behr
@gemlek JG has physical talent. If he improves his reads and decision making then he by no means has a "6 win ceiling". Your claim is no more reasonable than those who deflect all blame away from him. The guy can sling it. He just needs to get the mental part down. Hopefully he can.

@Behr IF JG's decision making improves... the O will get better even if the OL and run game are NOT appreciably better. If JG is closer to 3500 yards and 30 TD passes... the O gets better regardless. If the OL and run game get better as well... UT could make a significant jump.

You would think as much as this has been discussed, I'd already know that.

3,500 yards and 30 TD's by JG is fantasy land. You may as well be wishing for your own, personal pet T-Rex.

Last edited:
You would think as much as this has been discussed, I'd already know that.
ImperturbableColdHapuka-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: jakez4ut and Behr
3,500 yards and 30 TD's by JG is fantasy land. You may as well be wishing for your own, personal pet T-Rex.
It would be better if he simply improved his yardage from 1900 to 2600 plus and his TD's from 12 to 20+.

They have to stop protecting him. Some here want to deny that two staffs have done that... but they have. Out of 14 SEC starters, JG was 14th in total offense and 11th in passing. They simply did not think they could take higher risks with him. The OL plays into that in a significant way. But JG MUST learn to make good, quick decisions in complex situations and plays. The "safe" stuff is too easy to defend.

No but you can give them cpr and help stabilize them.

Don’t make coaching more than it is either.

These guys aren’t heart surgeons.

The comparison of doctor to coach is ludicrous. These coaches aren’t brainiacs.

It’s called an analogy, not a true comparison.

It would be better if he simply improved his yardage from 1900 to 2600 plus and his TD's from 12 to 20+.

They have to stop protecting him. Some here want to deny that two staffs have done that... but they have. Out of 14 SEC starters, JG was 14th in total offense and 11th in passing. They simply did not think they could take higher risks with him. The OL plays into that in a significant way. But JG MUST learn to make good, quick decisions in complex situations and plays. The "safe" stuff is too easy to defend.

Pruitt said last year that he doesn’t think the QB is different from any position. If he still thinks that, he needs to have nothing to do with the offense honestly. Also, he wants those that won’t turn over the ball. That’s certainly JG.

The only way Maurer sees the field is because we are dragging the other team and he does some mop up duty or if JG gets hurt and has to sit out some games.

Were all of JG's pocket-woes his fault in 2018? No. We had undersized guys on the oline who couldn't hold blocks, and a plethora of missed assignments be even our "good" olinemen. The problem is that when the line did hold gave, JG adequate time, that he still had a propensity to make poor decisions, and ate sacks that he did not have to eat.

We all hope that he can do better because we all know that JG will be the starter in 2019 & 2020, unless he is injured

VN Store

Back