Maurer should be the starting QB for the remainder of the season.

The team responded to Maurer. Sure he made mistakes....of course he would. The energy was there and that’s been missing all season with JG. When JG came back in, it was like watching a balloon deflate. I don’t agree with the decision to put JG back in. Give Maurer the shot and let him hold on to it for a game.

All I needed to see was Mauer in his first appearance vs UTC to know that he has the potential to be a solid qb. He shows it again today. He wasn’t going to rescue this team or game today no matter what. He’s got more in his toolbox than JG by a lot, though. Doesn’t take a football guru to see it.

Strangely, JG has regressed from last year to this year. I just don't understand why he can't seem to get better. Perhaps he is thinking tooooo much! He can't just do the plays naturally. He is never going to be a good decision maker and keep the offense on track. He just doesn't have what it takes.

I can't believe just how BAD we are at QB. I bet if you listed ALL the QBs in the SEC, none from Tenn would be in the top 30. Just look at Trask, he is MUCH better than any QB on our roster and he was not a starter at Florida! USCw is on their 3rd QB and still beat a top ranked team.

I just don't understand our issues? Pruitt's stubbornness may be his downfall (just like Phil Foolmer).

Reactions: Rockyjr
The team responded to Maurer. Sure he made mistakes....of course he would. The energy was there and that’s been missing all season with JG. When JG came back in, it was like watching a balloon deflate. I don’t agree with the decision to put JG back in. Give Maurer the shot and let him hold on to it for a game.

Yeah, Maurer was making some mistakes, but the team seemed to play better with him out there, and he led them to the only points we got. I felt a lot better with him out there than I did with JG.

Maurer is a freshman and can only improve. JG is garbage and somehow gets worse every game. This season is going to be an absolute disaster regardless, so why not let the freshman get some experience and improve?

Because when he puts up a total of 9 points over the next three games you'll be saying the 3rd stringer can't be any worse.

Yes. Should've been starting since the Chattanooga game. Its blatantly obvious. They need to go ahead and start preparing him for next season. Use the rest of this season as practice. Who knows, might actually win a game lol.

Strangely, JG has regressed from last year to this year. I just don't understand why he can't seem to get better. .
The previous OC's protected him. They didn't stretch him. That's why he had such "good" statistics but no production. A good completion % but only 1900 yds and 12 TD's. They've spent a year trying to build his confidence and decision making. They invested in him. IMO, Pruitt bet his job on the hope that Chaney, Weinke, and Martin could turn JG's physical talent into a good QB.

It seems that JG just doesn't "think" like a QB. He suffers from confidence issues which have infected the whole O. Someone mentioned they look out of sync. They do. They look like a team that doesn't have internal trust and doesn't have a leader at the QB position.

JG is apparently a practice warrior. He's great when there's no pressure but melts when there is.

I don't know if Maurer is the answer or Shrout. I'm just 99.999999% convinced that JG will never be the answer.

Because when he puts up a total of 9 points over the next three games you'll be saying the 3rd stringer can't be any worse.

I don't expect Maurer to win the next few games. I just want him to get experience. There's nothing to lose by starting him, because this season is going to be a disaster regardless of who the QB is. The only argument against it that makes sense is that getting absolutely destroyed by the likes of Georgia and Alabama wouldn't be good for his confidence or development, but I don't really agree with that. We're going to get annihilated no matter who the QB is. Sometimes the best way to teach someone to swim is to throw them in the water.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2 and TNV
It would be interesting to see this board make all the football decisions during the season to see how things play out

I don't expect Maurer to win the next few games. I just want him to get experience. There's nothing to lose by starting him, because this season is going to be a disaster regardless of who the QB is. The only argument against it that makes sense is that getting absolutely destroyed by the likes of Georgia and Alabama wouldn't be good for his confidence or development, but I don't really agree with that. We're going to get annihilated no matter who the QB is. Sometimes the best way to teach someone to swim is to throw them in the water.
Hey, watch the kid, it will only make him want it more.....he's a fighter I'm telling you....he fights for the whole team...just watch his attitude....the kid eats dirt

Didn't read through all the garbage.

Just here to point out that he went 4/11 for 44 yards and a pick.

and went 0/2 vs UTC.

And this is the guy you want to start?

I'm so thankful coaches don't listen to their idiot fans.

Reactions: lexkyvol
I’m sorry bc I’m sure JG is a decent human being but he’s a hot piece of trash at QB. I get it you stick with the veteran in the swamp to try and minimize mistakes. This kid is a damn team killer, a turnover machine, sucks the damn energy out of the whole team. Maurer may absolutely suck, he maybe hot garbage but he’s young and he has 1000x the enthusiasm as JG.

The single biggest issue I have with this staff is trotting this kid out there week after week and acting like we’re trying to get better.

Because Maurer was even worse.

Nevertheless, I'm at the point where I'm ready to go with Maurer. He's a true Freshmen and he's underestimating the size and speed of SEC defenders. He'll adjust eventually. Might take him some time.

I don't think JG is ever going to be a good leader. He's a better "passer" than anyone else on the team, but the offense feels totally out of sync with him in there. There's no energy or communication. At this point, I'm almost just willing to live with the fact that Maurer is probably going to throw 2-3 picks for the next few games in exchange for the fact that he might be able to move the offense and score some TDs occasionally.

In 2020, we have a wide open QB competition with Maurer, Bailey, Hill, and Shrout.
SOMEBODY SAID IT! this love affair with maurer because he got a little foot speed is ridiculous!

Shrout imho needs to be the starter!

Reactions: VolTexas
Didn't read through all the garbage.

Just here to point out that he went 4/11 for 44 yards and a pick.

and went 0/2 vs UTC.

And this is the guy you want to start?

I'm so thankful coaches don't listen to their idiot fans.
right! im all for shrout if anyone other than jg

VN Store

Back