Maurer? Portal bound?

JG has about the same completion % as Dobbs. His completion % is better than Tee Martins, Tyler Bray and Erik Ainge (barely). Try harder.
What pct of Jg’s completions were checkdowns? It was like a basketball player shooting uncontested layups. Of course it was higher because of that. The bowl game is the perfect example of how accurate a passer JG is.

Pull up a chair and let me tell you about Randy Sanders, Sterling Hinton, Joey Matthews, the 1st year and a half of Jonathan Crompton, Nick Stephens, BJ Coleman, AJ Suggs and Matt Simms.
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately I cannot remember years after the fact their play probably because they were not good. I remember Ainge, Bray and some of Simms because he had an awkward throwing motion.

Nice work. Wish there was an easy way to see the percentage of passes deflected. Seems like Maurer had as many interceptions dropped as he had caught.
A db getting his hand on the ball doesn’t necessarily mean it was a dropped int. And you may not want to see the results of that stat anyway. JG had at least 7 ints dropped this season. And once you take fact into consideration 2 of Maurers 5 ints bounced off HIS receivers chest.

JG has about the same completion % as Dobbs. His completion % is better than Tee Martins, Tyler Bray and Erik Ainge (barely). Try harder.

Because jg checks down and throw to short receiver most of the time, his stats are built up by throwing short passes some just barely past los and the receiver gains yardage which counts for jg as passing yardage. When you get to the red zone these passes do not work, thus jg completion % is much lower in the red zone. I would like to know jg completion % in the red zone or even downfield passes. These kind of good stats look good on paper but doesn't result in many points scored. If jg is starter next year, a lot of passes to jennings and callaway will be int. especially jennings. Very few times has jg hit anyone downfield in stride. Usually thrown short or way over their head.

I know you hate actual stats, so here is an interesting one:

Jarrett Guarantano throws an interception 2.025% of the times he throws a pass. Your favorite QB throws an interception 6.667% per attempt. Accuracy, decision making and recklessness were why he was 2nd string. Other than that, he was the better choice.
I think Maurer is potentially more talented but he's without a doubt more reckless and turnover prone of the two

Pruitt didn't recruit JG.

One thing Maurer and HB have in common is that both showed in HS that they can get the ball out quickly.

IMHO, Pruitt is recruiting the kind of QB that he finds the hardest to defend.

Again.... he didn't recruit JG. I very much doubt he would have.

Well this coming yr Pruitt will have 5 qb on the roster he has recruited. 2 out of the 5 are duel threat, the other 3 or pure pocket passers. So maybe he wants both??

Last edited:
Please tell me one aspect of Brian Maurer's game that marks him as a superstar. He is inaccurate, takes careless risks with his body. You ignore any real stats for your purpose. If I was comparing Jarrett Guarantano to Trevor Lawrence, then the argument would be strange; but since Trevor Lawrence doesn't play for UT, I really don't see how the comparison between their stats is intelligent. It is a known fact that you despise JG, so a logical discussion is impossible, thus this is all I will discuss with you.
Most the BM supporters did not believe he was a superstar. We just thought he would be better than JG which is a very low benchmark.

A db getting his hand on the ball doesn’t necessarily mean it was a dropped int. And you may not want to see the results of that stat anyway. JG had at least 7 ints dropped this season. And once you take fact into consideration 2 of Maurers 5 ints bounced off HIS receivers chest.
Good research.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I think Maurer is potentially more talented but he's without a doubt more reckless and turnover prone of the two
Maybe so, but one should expect major difference in reads and judgement for true freshman vs. 4th-yr guy.

Edit: i was talking about this past season.

Last edited:
Because jg checks down and throw to short receiver most of the time, his stats are built up by throwing short passes some just barely past los and the receiver gains yardage which counts for jg as passing yardage. When you get to the red zone these passes do not work, thus jg completion % is much lower in the red zone. I would like to know jg completion % in the red zone or even downfield passes. These kind of good stats look good on paper but doesn't result in many points scored. If jg is starter next year, a lot of passes to jennings and callaway will be int. especially jennings. Very few times has jg hit anyone downfield in stride. Usually thrown short or way over their head.
His completion % drops 18% from the opponents 40 and in...39% in the red zone

Wonder if that’s because he wasn’t good enough to stay on the field?
Did you forget the injury? Plus Pruitt had a very short hook for BM and Stout which he did not have for JG who was making similar mistakes. Jg received more leeway probably because he was in his 4th year of the program.

VN Store

Back