Maurer? Portal bound?

Mauer needs a redshirt year to focus on building up his body mass. With Bailey in the wings that plan doesn’t work well for him.

Reactions: JacketVol
Maurer is listed in the 190’s on a 6’3 frame. JG is 6’4 and looks about the same frame. BTW Burrow’s is 6’4 and looks about the same frame as JG.
Maurer 6'3" 193 lb
Guarantano 6'4" 200 lb
Burrow 6'4" 216 lb

Id call 23 lbs on a QB a significant difference. Especially when Maurer and Burrow both take a lot of hits.

Over reaction Tuesday? Where does the words “Make the best decision for the family” say I’m transferring? Sounds to me like he’s a college athlete that talks to other college athletes/recruits and he’s sending a message of support to someone.
When you have your own family in the tweet? You’re begging for conclusions to be drawn.

When you have your own family in the tweet? You’re begging for conclusions to be drawn.
There was no one tagged. No mention of HIS family and there’s a tweet from his grandmother suggesting it’s being misunderstood. So not sure where you get that. Instead of jumping to conclusions why not take it at face value and the context suggests he was sending a message to someone else.

Lots of drama and hinting around. If BM wants to be here, get to work and try to WIN the job. If he’s on the fence or not confident he can with the job, just leave. Harrison Bailey is coming.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Oct. 15: Senior wide receiver Jauan Jennings — the team’s unquestioned leader — said before Tuesday’s practice that Maurer’s athleticism reminds him of former Vols and current Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Joshua Dobbs. “Yeah, yeah, definitely,” Jennings said when asked it Maurer’s play excites him. “He kind of reminds me of Dobbs. Just seeing him in the open field, man, it’s electric. He definitely brings juice to the sideline.”
Air Maurer: Freshman QB reminding Vols of young Josh Dobbs

That's what I like about Maurer; he's an exciting (sometimes scarily so), energizing player with an excellent arm whose decision-making isn't nearly where it needs to be. Then I see JG make some fundamentally boneheaded mistakes and think back to this article from early in the season, and I wonder if isn't Weinke who's largely responsible for the wildly inconsistent & nerve-wracking QB play we saw this year...but that's a different conversation, of course.

In HS, Maurer's INT rate steadily declined over 3 years to 2.8% his senior season, even though his supporting cast was crappy (2-8 record). He can certainly be reckless but if he can be reined in and better coached, he has the physical tools to be an extremely effective QB.

I'd compare Maurer to Vol PG Vescovi, another freshman prone to making mistakes but also a fearless baller who, with more experience, will end up being a standout for us.

Maurer 6'3" 193 lb
Guarantano 6'4" 200 lb
Burrow 6'4" 216 lb

Id call 23 lbs on a QB a significant difference. Especially when Maurer and Burrow both take a lot of hits.
weights are not correctly reported in many cases. Burrow, JG and Maurer all look similar in stature on the field. Laurence has a slim build at 6’6 220 and I bet his weight is closer to 210. They are all big enough to be successful.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
s571VMI.jpg

VN Store

Back