Maurer or Shrout?

IMO if shrout was going to win QB2 he would have by now. I think Maurer has the most upside.
I'm thinking the same thing. The fact Maurer is younger and there has been NO clear front runner for backup, is a pretty good indicator that Maurer probably has more potential. But who knows?!

Reactions: AM64
The only time fans have seen either of these QBs was during the Spring game which was less than they would have seen in a Spring practice session. Speculation with out facts is ridiculous.

JG has had a few bad games, who wouldn’t having put through the spin cycle of coaches, and dealing a new offense.

I don’t think we have any one better, and what experience he does have seems an advantage. If we just got him as a transfer fans would be more patient. I think he will improve in the next few weeks. Unfortunately the season is slipping away.

Starting to believe the theory that JG continues to start for this very reason: CJP is afraid that if Maurer or Shrout is a world-beater, he loses Bailey's commitment.

Either way, let's give Maurer or Shrout a shot.

Reactions: Alto1
To me it looks like we are fine at rb, fine at wr, getting better at online (hell we rushed 200 yards) but the qb play is killing us.

This is causing the d to get winded as we are not getting long drives to keep them rested.

We get 3 or 4 long drives whether we score or not and our d is still fresh, not gassed.

I also think Chaney has his hands severely tied with J.G. cause he can’t read the whole field fast enough.

I don’t think our coaches are as much the problem as our QB play.
I agree that the quarterback play needs to improve. But the alignment issues that we had against Georgia State were absolutely not a quarterback issue. Two defensive ends lining up on the same side and being a defensive tackle short on plays with the defensive coordinator and head coach standing right in front of the third man on the sidelines are not Jarrett guarantano's fault. One might ask, why is a four-year quarterback going backwards now? I know he's had a new offensive coordinator every year that he's been at Tennessee and so it's been hard to develop. But, his pass timing and lack of in-game management were not something that we were told we're issues going into the season. In fact, Pruitt was praising him during fall camp and said that he was his man. Something is obviously wrong there.

Starting to believe the theory that JG continues to start for this very reason: CJP is afraid that if Maurer or Shrout is a world-beater, he loses Bailey's commitment.

Either way, let's give Maurer or Shrout a shot.
If he keeps the status quo, that will be someone else's problem to worry about.

Reactions: AM64 and Alto1
Well Pruitt doesn’t know either because he literally said neither guy has won the backup job so......
Didn't remember him ever saying that, but if he did then that's just dumb. What happens if JG gets hurt in a big game? I guess Pruitt would flip a coin, and neither of the backups would be mentally prepared to step in.

VN Store

Back