Maurer or Shrout?

Give them both some snaps next week against Chattanooga. The best year Randy Sanders had here as OC, he had 2 freshman QBs that he rotated. It always seemed like the guy off the bench played better than the starter (maybe less nervous or pressure). We had the same situation another year when our starter (Colquitt) and back up (Helton) got injured In the first couple games and to rely on 2 freshmen. Fans like Brandon Stewart who reminded many of Heath Shuler, but the coaches kept rotating him with the other fellow who struggled more, but got better as the season went on and finally won the job outright- of course that other fellow was Peyton Manning.

Well Pruitt doesn’t know either because he literally said neither guy has won the backup job so......

Reactions: LittleVol and 08Vol
Pruitt will be doing Eeny Meeny Miny Moe when choosing Shrout or Maurer.

I hear lots of people talking about how maurer is a perfect fit for us, but wouldn't Shrout be the next man up? Either way, one of them needs to start next week. I bet both would be better than JG.
Whoever can recognize a reciever is open up the seams then I choose him. We had two TDs wiped off the board because JG

You guys are expecting P&C to pick a QB and they can't even settle on 5 offensive lineman.

That, incidentally, is something that needs to stop right the f now. How are these guys supposed to gel, settle in, get lathered up, and a feel for what the player across from them is doing when they are rotating in. Stupid, just plain stupid.

I'll take whoever can actually hit an open receiver and step up in the pocket.

The wr in the end zone was an easy td if J.G. hit him in stride but the ball was behind him and the defender was able to bat it away.

These plays are happening a lot. His timing is just off. We need to atleast try a new qb.

OP, you should know this. There are many QB experts on VN. Most are so good that they can tell who the best QB is, without seeing them ever play.

It's an amazing talent.

Some of us hear what folks like Jerry Colquitt have to say about JG rather than listen to Erik Ainge indulge in his fantasy about Guarantano being one of the best quarterbacks in the country.

The wr in the end zone was an easy td if J.G. hit him in stride but the ball was behind him and the defender was able to bat it away.

These plays are happening a lot. His timing is just off. We need to atleast try a new qb.
Idk if you were watching the ESPN broadcast but they were pointing out that he was throwing late on every pass. I was happy to see some fight In the team and improvement in the OL.

Idk if you were watching the ESPN broadcast but they were pointing it out he was throwing late on every pass. I was happy to see some fight I'm the team and improvement in the OL.

To me it looks like we are fine at rb, fine at wr, getting better at online (hell we rushed 200 yards) but the qb play is killing us.

This is causing the d to get winded as we are not getting long drives to keep them rested.

We get 3 or 4 long drives whether we score or not and our d is still fresh, not gassed.

I also think Chaney has his hands severely tied with J.G. cause he can’t read the whole field fast enough.

I don’t think our coaches are as much the problem as our QB play.

To me it looks like we are fine at rb, fine at wr, getting better at online (hell we rushed 200 yards) but the qb play is killing us.

This is causing the d to get winded as we are not getting long drives to keep them rested.

We get 3 or 4 long drives whether we score or not and our d is still fresh, not gassed.

I also think Chaney has his hands severely tied with J.G. cause he can’t read the whole field fast enough.

I agree. I say we put the young QBs in and see what happens. I'm a little disappointed in the DBs this year. I was hoping they could at least hold their own and play man so we could stack the box but that was before Thompson was in trouble. It can only go up from where we are.

Hammer meet nail.
Spot on and my thoughts exactly.

I hear lots of people talking about how maurer is a perfect fit for us, but wouldn't Shrout be the next man up? Either way, one of them needs to start next week. I bet both would be better than JG.
Maurer appeared to have really good instincts in the O&W game. Even last year Pruitt when asked about the QB's said that Shrout might have been the best of the three (Chryst, JG, and him) at "anticipating" throws.

Tough call. I just hope Pruitt doesn't sink his own career at UT by "waiting" to see if JG ever "gets it". Jones' got fired hoping that JG would finally make that "leap" where the game slowed down for him. How many times did the announcers in the game say "he was late"? There were a bunch of points left on the field because JG simply can't read a D and make a decision quickly.

Any damn body but JG. If not for Jennings two TDs would’ve been interceptions. I hate to be hard on a kid that wants to play for Tennessee but he’s the worst Qb in the last 10 years. I don’t have any idea wtf he was seeing on that INT. Checks down when he has receivers running wide ass open down the field including one that would’ve been an easy TD tonight.

I’m at a loss for WTF the staff sees in this kid to make them start him at this point.

I think JT Shrout will wind up the starter in 2020 when Jarrett Guantanamo enters the transfer portal.

Evidently they are both terrible of JG would not be playing because he is terrible as well. JG decision making is still freshman like and no reason to ever see that changing. So him being the best option either tells us that the other guys are awful or the coaches have no clue. I think it is both.

Some of us hear what folks like Jerry Colquitt have to say about JG rather than listen to Erik Ainge indulge in his fantasy about Guarantano being one of the best quarterbacks in the country.

Yeah, that's why your expertise on the subject shouldn't be questioned.

Well crap. It’s gonna be a long season.
B’ball starting anytime soon?

GO VOLS!!!!!!

VN Store

Back