Maurer listed as the starter for Bama

I don't really care either way but most on here don't understand how in today's concussion climate that once you get 3 or 4 of those teams really back off of you. He took a shot vs Ga, likely concussed as well as ribs, and nearly broke his neck a week later. He's pretty beat up for a kid that's skin and bones. That and he throws it to the other team a bunch and Alabama is pretty good at causing turnovers, we'll have to play mistake free to win and I'm pretty sure we're going down there to win Saturday. :)

No offense,Pulaski, but we can play mistake free Sat. and we still ain't gonna win. Regardless of who starts at qb.

Many are also not giving the MD transfer any chance of starting next year. Don't count him out of the equation. Bailey will probably need a rs year.

I don't really care either way but most on here don't understand how in today's concussion climate that once you get 3 or 4 of those teams really back off of you. He took a shot vs Ga, likely concussed as well as ribs, and nearly broke his neck a week later. He's pretty beat up for a kid that's skin and bones. That and he throws it to the other team a bunch and Alabama is pretty good at causing turnovers, we'll have to play mistake free to win and I'm pretty sure we're going down there to win Saturday. :)
Please don't take this the wrong way but you're not a Doctor nor are you on the UT medical staff so there is no possible way for you to diagnose this. Please don't assume and start rumors about a kids health

Reactions: GBOx2
What are you people saying? Don’t play him because he may get hurt? This is football and we play to win not play to not get hurt. My goodness people we can win this. Anything can happen but we have to play our best and compete to win. What kind of message will be send if we play a game just to get by.

Go Vols!

Yep, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! Norm said so. And he's doing pretty good at AZ State. I have no idea how a guy can be retired from coaching as long as he was, switch from NFL to college, and succeed as well as he has.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you're not a Doctor nor are you on the UT medical staff so there is no possible way for you to diagnose this. Please don't assume and start rumors about a kids health
These are not rumors as it happened right in front of everyone on live TV. The point of that post had nothing to do with me being a doctor and everything about BM not being able to physically handle playing in the SEC yet. Nobody is starting any rumors about his health but it's obvious that he's gone down with injuries both games he's gotten to start. He either has a glass jaw or is not ready physically, which is it?

No offense,Pulaski, but we can play mistake free Sat. and we still ain't gonna win. Regardless of who starts at qb.

Many are also not giving the MD transfer any chance of starting next year. Don't count him out of the equation. Bailey will probably need a rs year.
Why would Bailey need a redshirt year but Maurer doesn't? Bailey is much more developed physically than our 2 Fr QBs right now as a HS Sr.

Some posters like us are just smarter than the guys going off of "moxie" and "energy" instead of results.

We like data and performance. Not warm and fuzzy feelings. Outside of one quarter BM has been bad.

Jg has shown the ability to perform in the SEC and actually have success passing the ball for a whole game. He also had the second best performance by a returning qb in the SEC for the whole season last year. He has shown he can get it done.

BM hasn't shown he can have a complete half even. In two years he could be better. Right now its not close.
Gotta start using this line of thinking when anyone on this board dath disagree with me. 😉
tenor.gif

These are not rumors as it happened right in front of everyone on live TV. The point of that post had nothing to do with me being a doctor and everything about BM not being able to physically handle playing in the SEC yet. Nobody is starting any rumors about his health but it's obvious that he's gone down with injuries both games he's gotten to start. He either has a glass jaw or is not ready physically, which is it?
Neither.

That's a deceptive debate technique called a fallacy of limited alternatives. You do it quite a bit... and did you ever answer why it was necessary to play BM? You have all of this dislike for Maurer... and can't acknowledge that he's only playing because JG is ineffective and probably fatally limited by his decision making?

So, if we start Maurer, we'll probably comes in second place. If we start JG, we'll probably come in third.
If UT starts Maurer they could lose because he makes too many mistakes. If UT starts JG they're very likely to lose because he won't make plays downfield because he sees too much risk and can't pull the trigger.

One... you might lose but still have an opportunity to coach a guy up. The other... you probably just lose.

Again, he was never diagnosed with a concussion after this incident you're speaking of. So that leads to you assuming he did have a concussion

Reactions: GBOx2
That's a deceptive debate technique called a fallacy of limited alternatives. You do it quite a bit... and did you ever answer why it was necessary to play BM? You have all of this dislike for Maurer... and can't acknowledge that he's only playing because JG is ineffective and probably fatally limited by his decision making?
I don't dislike Maurer, I feel like he's simply not ready physically and is not producing any better than JG, they are 2 different QBs with similar results. I tend to go with the bigger, stronger more experienced player over undersized undeveloped wet behind the ears freshman.

The reality that JG is gone after this year is slowly setting in for them
You are "Stepping Up" with this prediction, when do you predict the announcement will take place? Do you know where he is going? You may be 100% correct; however, with such a bold prediction there should be bold proof. If you are correct, I hope I am among the first to congratulate you on your knowledge and foresight, if not, there will be plenty that will remind you- daily....just saying.

Again, he was never diagnosed with a concussion after this incident you're speaking of. So that leads to you assuming he did have a concussion
Does it matter what the injury was? He got laid out and had to go into the circus tent, when he came out he did not have his helmet. The argument is if he is strong enough to handle the rigors of playing QB in the SEC, I can assume what I want about injuries as our staff seems to keep them a big mystery similar to how the commies and Saban work.

Does it matter what the injury was? He got laid out and had to go into the circus tent, when he came out he did not have his helmet. The argument is if he is strong enough to handle the rigors of playing QB in the SEC, I can assume what I want about injuries as our staff seems to keep them a big mystery similar to how the commies and Saban work.
He's going to be fine and I believe he's plenty strong enough. He's just got to be smarter in protecting himself. He's learning and will continue to improve, his skill set is greater than JGs.

I don't dislike Maurer,
You say that then to describe him you use terms of contempt like "glass jaw". You don't have to like him... but you increase the likelihood that bias plays into your opinions if you don't admit it to yourself.

I feel like he's simply not ready physically and is not producing any better than JG, they are 2 different QBs with similar results.
And you again base that on an unfounded bias. He's listed at 193 and that number goes back to the spring or earlier. There's a good chance he's gained at least a little. But you have a narrative you're pushing because you don't want him to be the starter... so you see him as too thin. I don't know how much he weighs. I do tend to trust coaches on stuff like that.

I tend to go with the bigger, stronger more experienced player over undersized undeveloped wet behind the ears freshman.
The problem with that is that your "bigger, stronger more experienced player" has been ineffective due to decision making issues since he stepped on to the field. It seems to be something in his make up. They thought they had him fixed but didn't.

You still haven't said why you think he was replaced since you have such a strong opinion about Maurer not being ready. I don't think Maurer is ready either. Most Fr aren't. Many are forced into duty and have to develop on the job. But here we are. The coaches have soured on JG as the starter. They feel that Maurer who may well be 20 lbs smaller than Shrout... is the better next option.

I don't dislike Maurer, I feel like he's simply not ready physically and is not producing any better than JG, they are 2 different QBs with similar results. I tend to go with the bigger, stronger more experienced player over undersized undeveloped wet behind the ears freshman.
If both are producing similar results you go with the guy coming back next year. That wet behind the ears FR has room to grow. You ve got what you ve got with JG. A 4th year guy you re having to coach around.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
You are "Stepping Up" with this prediction, when do you predict the announcement will take place? Do you know where he is going? You may be 100% correct; however, with such a bold prediction there should be bold proof. If you are correct, I hope I am among the first to congratulate you on your knowledge and foresight, if not, there will be plenty that will remind you- daily....just saying.
He has already graduated. He has already been supplanted by one freshman QB and will fall further down the depth chart next year if HB still signs with UT. Where will he go? I don't know or care. When will he go? Probably after the fall semester but it can happen anytime before fall camp. Pruitt dangled the carrot in front of him long enough to keep him around this season.

Reactions: I40flyer
If both are producing similar results you go with the guy coming back next year. That wet behind the ears FR has room to grow. You ve got what you ve got with JG. A 4th year guy you re having to coach around.
That's your opinion, I just see it differently.

That's your opinion, I just see it differently.
Its not really my opinion or invention.

Most coaches in varying sports practice the idea. Its why elite programs like Bama have FR on the field every year after recruiting better than every school every year.
In most cases its not because the FR is head and shoulders above a Jr. Its because there isn't a lot of difference between them other than one has a lot more time and room to improve.

VN Store

Back