Maturity and a winning culture

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Maybe he's just saying all the right things, but I liked reading these quotes from Brandon Johnson. I get the feeling that he (and hopefully the team) is starting to have a sense of maturity and really understand what it takes on the practice field every day in order to be successful -- every rep counts, attitude and effort matter, and lead by example.

“You just really have to be conscious of how you may carry yourself. Like you said, you are being watched at all times, so you have to be conscious of how you carry yourself and what kind of effort you’re giving. You can’t really tell anybody to do anything that you aren’t doing yourself, so that’s one thing. You kind of have to lead by example as well as being a motivator.”

Also, from reading this, it sounds like some guys could be practicing on both sides of the ball?

“I’m confident we’ll all be ready by the time the game rolls around. Like I said, everybody has the right mindset. It’s kind of like a next man up mindset. People have learned to be adaptable to play different positions – offense, defense – so I’m confident we’ll be more than ready come the 26th.”

----------

A few other quotes from him that stood out to me:

>He said even after all the players missing due to quarantines, the team morale is high because everyone was ready for things that may happen.

“I’d say the team morale has been high. I don’t think it’s really hurt what we have going. We kind of knew what we were getting into during this pandemic and we kind of knew that at certain periods of time different people may be out for X reasons. So, I feel like everybody was ready for it. I think the team morale is high because I just think everybody was ready for things that may happen.”

>He's really high on our freshmen, and says JG is a great leader and has everyone's respect.

“As far as the freshmen go, all the freshmen look really good. The future is super bright for all the freshmen. As far as pushing us, they’re pushing us to compete on a high level every day. Also, they’re challenging our leadership because with freshmen comes a certain level of leadership.

“As far as Jarrett (Guarantano), he’s become such a great leader amongst the team. He has the respect of everybody on the team and I just can’t wait to see what he does this season.”

>He thinks Taylor and Thompson are looking like some of the top DBs in the country.

“It’s crazy to see their growth. Those are just really smart players. They’re pointing out different things and you just love to see their growth because right now the way they’re looking, they’re looking like some of the top DBs in the country. It’s been cool to go up against those guys every day and just to watch their improvement up close. It’s been really cool to see.”

Last edited:
Twenty years of preseason rah-rah leading to disappointment have made me very skeptical.

As George W Bush would say "I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'"

Seeing more and more about guys playing positions on both sides of the ball. Couple that with the two or three games today that are postponed due to COVID and I think that is a very smart move by Pruitt and staff.

Reactions: VolinMC and Freak
Seeing more and more about guys playing positions on both sides of the ball. Couple that with the two or three games today that are postponed due to COVID and I think that is a very smart move by Pruitt and staff.
I don’t think Pruitt has a choice. This is going to be a very unusual season.

Maybe he's just saying all the right things, but I liked reading these quotes from Brandon Johnson. I get the feeling that he (and hopefully the team) is starting to have a sense of maturity and really understand what it takes on the practice field every day in order to be successful -- every rep counts, attitude and effort matter, and lead by example.

“You just really have to be conscious of how you may carry yourself. Like you said, you are being watched at all times, so you have to be conscious of how you carry yourself and what kind of effort you’re giving. You can’t really tell anybody to do anything that you aren’t doing yourself, so that’s one thing. You kind of have to lead by example as well as being a motivator.”

Also, from reading this, it sounds like some guys could be practicing on both sides of the ball?

“I’m confident we’ll all be ready by the time the game rolls around. Like I said, everybody has the right mindset. It’s kind of like a next man up mindset. People have learned to be adaptable to play different positions – offense, defense – so I’m confident we’ll be more than ready come the 26th.”

----------

>He said even after all the players missing due to quarantines, the team morale is high because everyone was ready for things that may happen.

“I’d say the team morale has been high. I don’t think it’s really hurt what we have going. We kind of knew what we were getting into during this pandemic and we kind of knew that at certain periods of time different people may be out for X reasons. So, I feel like everybody was ready for it. I think the team morale is high because I just think everybody was ready for things that may happen.”

>He's really high on our freshmen, and says JG is a great leader and has everyone's respect.

“As far as the freshmen go, all the freshmen look really good. The future is super bright for all the freshmen. As far as pushing us, they’re pushing us to compete on a high level every day. Also, they’re challenging our leadership because with freshmen comes a certain level of leadership.

“As far as Jarrett (Guarantano), he’s become such a great leader amongst the team. He has the respect of everybody on the team and I just can’t wait to see what he does this season.”

>He thinks Taylor and Thompson are looking like some of the top DBs in the country.

“It’s crazy to see their growth. Those are just really smart players. They’re pointing out different things and you just love to see their growth because right now the way they’re looking, they’re looking like some of the top DBs in the country. It’s been cool to go up against those guys every day and just to watch their improvement up close. It’s been really cool to see.”
Could not agree more, well put for a freak! I'm most excited for Taylor and Thompson. If those 2 play lights out they could be a big problem for the young unproven WRs at GA, AL and Fl. I've said it a bunch but I could see us having a top5 passing defense this year mainly because of those 2 guys. I think Alontae has a big year this year, an All-SEC type season.

Twenty years of preseason rah-rah leading to disappointment have made me very skeptical.

As George W Bush would say "I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'"
Same.

A bird in the hand, is worth 2 Bush is holding.

I want my players to work their butts off, improve as individuals and as units, to recognize that has happened, and to then speak confidently, exactly like Brandon did.

Last edited:

----------

Thank you.

It's all on JG now

If Pruitt and Chaney are depending on JG to beat anyone Vols and fans are really screwed!

If any one doubts me just go watch the Georgia State, BYU or Indiana games. He made far too many mistakes. The QB for this team must play mistake free for this team to win.

If Pruitt and Chaney are depending on JG to beat anyone Vols and fans are really screwed!

If any one doubts me just go watch the Georgia State, BYU or Indiana games. He made far too many mistakes. The QB for this team must play mistake free for this team to win.
I simply don’t understand the ‘people can’t improve’ logic. Makes no sense to me. Been watching sports for too many decades. Seen it happen too many times. I won’t be surprised if he has a career year.

All I can say is "we will see".

When you start talking about players playing both sides of the ball during a 10 game SEC schedule I worry about players getting beat up and wore out. Not just normal wore out, but the kind that can have lasting negative effects into 2021.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

"Mistake free"? Name the last football player ever who did THAT. But keep ON beating the dead horse.:rolleyes:

----------

Don't want to throw water on your parade, but isn't this the guy that is often thought to have been playing college ball for 4-7 years?. If he has been playing anywhere close to this long that makes him, lets see - - - about 23-25 years old. For most guys this is nearing an adult level of maturity. I would hope being able to be exposed to a college level education for this long, (and maintaining grades good enough to stay the course) he could converse with a better than average maturity level for most college age football players.

"Mistake free"? Name the last football player ever who did THAT. But keep ON beating the dead horse.:rolleyes:
The best part about that sentiment is that it’s exactly what the morons bashing him require. JG will actually have to play mistake-free in order to not draw the ire of the villagers with pitchforks. It’ll be super fun to watch them get really technical too... “he keeps missing the checks at the line when the safety walks up, he needs to do blah blah blah...” Should be fun. I personally will take Brandon at his word, he’s been a high quality student-athlete since he arrived and I’ve no reason to doubt him or denigrate his opinion.

I simply don’t understand the ‘people can’t improve’ logic. Makes no sense to me. Been watching sports for too many decades. Seen it happen too many times. I won’t be surprised if he has a career year.

The single most significant indicator of future performance is past performance. I’m not saying he won’t have a great season but’s it very unlikely. It’s more likely we see more of the same from him.

JG has shown in the past that he struggles making quick decisions and that’s not something that you can teach. However, it does improve with experience but considering where he started and his current deficiencies which are numerous he has limited potential. Imho, if the Vols have another QB ready it’s time to move on from JG. If they don’t it will certainly be a struggle again this season.

The best part about that sentiment is that it’s exactly what the morons bashing him require. JG will actually have to play mistake-free in order to not draw the ire of the villagers with pitchforks. It’ll be super fun to watch them get really technical too... “he keeps missing the checks at the line when the safety walks up, he needs to do blah blah blah...” Should be fun. I personally will take Brandon at his word, he’s been a high quality student-athlete since he arrived and I’ve no reason to doubt him or denigrate his opinion.

Pruitt calls it “clean football” and no one is perfect but JG has game changing mistakes, such as, the pic six against Indiana. Those are the mistakes that he simply can’t make for this team to have success.

Reactions: Alto1
Pruitt calls it “clean football” and no one is perfect but JG has game changing mistakes, such as, the pic six against Indiana. Those are the mistakes that he simply can’t make for this team to have success.
Ok. A game we won, but ok. I agree generically that pick 6 owns you. I have said it for years: pick 6 owns you. Ask EA and CC. Anything else to add oh wise one? Just pick 6 is a problem? Thanks for that.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. Love it. Thank you, needed that chuckle.

Reactions: TennTom

VN Store

Back