Matthew Pyke 2014 OL/ Long Snapper 6'3 297

here you go hard to see on my phone. LOL

When coaches say we need to see you in camp first they are really saying we hope to get these kids we have offered but if they don’t come we may want you. Go to the camps of teams that offer you first. They have showed they want you and it will give you a chance to evaluate their staff. If you have an open spot then you can go to the school you loved growing up. Once one school that you would be happy at has offered, you as the athlete can take control and tell everyone else if you want me in camp you must offer. LOL at a SEC coach needs to see you in person to evaluate you.

Reactions: 1 person
When coaches say we need to see you in camp first they are really saying we hope to get these kids we have offered but if you they don’t come we may want you. Go to the camps of teams that offer you first. They have showed they want you and it will give you a chance to evaluate their staff. If you have an open spot them you can to the school you loved growing up. Once one school that you would be happy at has offered, you as the athlete can take control and tell everyone else if you want me in camp you must offer. LOL at a SEC coach needs to see you in person to evaluate you.

Goo post from a perspective most of us don't have. Tx for the input

Lineman earn offers at camps all the time. Lol at any HS kid telling an SEC coach what to do.

As with all positions, recruits can get an offer at camp. ALOT of kids get an offer without ever coming to camp or showing up on campus at all. We have offered 25+ guys on the OL for this class thus far.

Really? Say "lol" to a SEC coach wanting you to come to their camp..you don't burn bridges with any coaches in the SEC cause you never no where they will be next year. I think TN will on Pyke pretty hard now. It wasn't a hour after he tweeted candy was there and the coaches contacted him to let him know they will be there Friday.

here you go hard to see on my phone. LOL

When coaches say we need to see you in camp first they are really saying we hope to get these kids we have offered but if they don’t come we may want you. Go to the camps of teams that offer you first. They have showed they want you and it will give you a chance to evaluate their staff. If you have an open spot then you can go to the school you loved growing up. Once one school that you would be happy at has offered, you as the athlete can take control and tell everyone else if you want me in camp you must offer. LOL at a SEC coach needs to see you in person to evaluate you.

I simply disagree.

There are many reasons a coach wants to offer a player at camp.

1. See actual size and frame, vs. reported size.
2. See firsthand leadership/intensity/attitude.
3. See players go against players who they know are top quality, vs some random number on the highlight video.
4. Judge overall quality. Most players send out highlight videos and leave out the full games.

The fact is, the player is not entitled to anything. The coaches offer a scholarship based on their assessment of whether the player is capable is contributing at their program. They have every right to be as selective as they want to be.

If a player thinks he is entitled to receive an offer without a camp appearance, best of luck. He won't go to a top program unless he is already a 4* or better. Shoot... even Bama is telling Cornwell he has to throw in front of him to get a scholarship offer.

Reactions: 7 people
I simply disagree.

There are many reasons a coach wants to offer a player at camp.

1. See actual size and frame, vs. reported size.
2. See firsthand leadership/intensity/attitude.
3. See players go against players who they know are top quality, vs some random number on the highlight video.
4. Judge overall quality. Most players send out highlight videos and leave out the full games.

The fact is, the player is not entitled to anything. The coaches offer a scholarship based on their assessment of whether the player is capable is contributing at their program. They have every right to be as selective as they want to be.

If a player thinks he is entitled to receive an offer without a camp appearance, best of luck. He won't go to a top program unless he is already a 4* or better. Shoot... even Bama is telling Cornwell he has to throw in front of him to get a scholarship offer.

What he said

Reactions: 2 people
I say he gets an offer on Friday. Still comes to camp and commits soon after or at camp.

Bc they don't think he is good enough (doesn't look like they would be the only staff to have this opinion). Or maybe would like to offer him a preferred walk-on spot. Just two guesses.

If they didn't think he was good enough....why would thy drive from Nashville to Knoxville to see him? The same with Miss State...seems like a lot of driving for someone your not sure is good enough. Doesn't make much since for them to waste the money of a limited recruiting budget to meet a kid they have seen the film on and still think isn't good enough. Don't ya think?

If they didn't think he was good enough....why would thy drive from Nashville to Knoxville to see him? The same with Miss State...seems like a lot of driving for someone your not sure is good enough. Doesn't make much since for them to waste the money of a limited recruiting budget to meet a kid they have seen the film on and still think isn't good enough. Don't ya think?

While I like when we take local kids, especially on the OL/DL there are a lot of reasons the staff could "visit" a kid and not offer him.

1. They could have been recruiting others in the area and just stopped in.

2. They will "recruit" the kid even if they don't plan to take them as they are in rebuild relationship mode with a lot of high schools/coaches in TN.

3. As someone else stated, they could be keeping a reasonable relationship with the kid with plans to offer a walk on spot at some point if he does not have the offer he is looking for.

4. Keeping relationship going with a visit in case we miss on some other targets and decide to offer the kid real late in the process.

I would like to see the kid get an offer sooner than later. Rumors were he already showed out well at a camp not long ago. He and Reagan both I would like to see offer and accept before the season. JMO

This guy knows voodoo, he can revive paper!! Must get

But for real. Seems to be a hard nosed tough player. Seems like he is waiting on us

@MatthewPyke53: I've revived over 600 pieces of mail from school all over the country but I got my first one from the new coaching staff at Tennessee today.

Reactions: 3 people
Lineman almost always have to camp to get offers from big schools unless they are obvious highlight freaks that can fit any system. Always has and will be this way. Not every good olineman fits every system

With both Pyke and Reagan, their film and the rave reviews they've received so far remove any doubt as to whether they're good enough. So, IMO, since we need to build a fence around Tennessee, it doesn't make any sense to play the "wait until camp to offer the linemen" game with either of them.

With both Pyke and Reagan, their film and the rave reviews they've received so far remove any doubt as to whether they're good enough. So, IMO, since we need to build a fence around Tennessee, it doesn't make any sense to play the "wait until camp to offer the linemen" game with either of them.

It does make sense if you know anything about the recruiting process

VN Store

Back