Matthew Butler doesn't look like a freshman

Not really. The difference the last 2 years has been marginal. We've essentially been the same. The big gap in recruiting was our 2015 class versus their 2015 class.

Yes, really. I didn't say their classes were light years better, just better. Simple math per 247....

2016- Fla #12, UT #15
2017- Fla #10, UT #17

And the primary reason their 2015 class was rated so much lower than ours is because we signed 9 more players than they did in that class.

Yep. Direct correlation between majority of top 10 and top 25 teams and where they finish in recruiting rankings. Can't be denied. Fulmer said...."Jimmys and Joes, not Xs and Os".

Bingo. Some dont want to admit that but its the truth.

I'm predicting a monster year for him.
22 TFL with 14.5 sacks. Will catch up to Barnett's sack total by end of junior year. Future top 5 pick. I think this kid will be a HOF.

I checked the screen name three times, and it wasn't him. :eek:hmy:

Reactions: 2 people
We may have found our next Barnett.

He is indeed a physical specimen. If he has the passion, drive, and relentless nature to match that physique we could indeed be looking at the next Vol legend. Only time will tell.

jN9vKW0.gif

Reactions: 2 people
If you add up all the 5* and 4* together it's about the same number as the 3 *'s. So there is some legitimacy to the fact that there's as many 3*s as higher ranked guys in the NFL. The other thing that always catches my attention is how many NFL players are from small schools. You'd think the majority of the NFL players would come from top 20 powerhouses colleges...but that's not the case at all. One other thing important to note...when a kid come into a school as a highly touted player (4 or 5 star), they often are afforded a lot more opportunities to be successful than the unheralded recruit. So it's crazy so many lower ranked players go on to the NFL.

Not exactly but sort of - at least with the top 3-stars

I looked at 2016 rivals and 2017 rivals because they have a nice screening tool and use a graduated rating system. These are the numbers for 2017 but the numbers for each ranking were very similar for 2016.

6.1 = 36 (5-star)
6.0 = 41 (High 4-star)
5.9 = 107 (Mid 4-star)
5.8 = 211 (Low 4-star)
subtotal = 395 4/5-stars on Rivals
5.7 = 269 (High 3-star)
5.6 = 413 (Mid 3-star)
5.5 = 646 (Low 3-star)
subtotal = 1,328 3-stars on Rivals
5.4 = 1019 (High 2-star)
5.3 = 558 (Mid 2-star)
5.2 = 672 (Low 2-star)
subtotal = 2249 2-stars on Rivals

There are 65 Power 5 schools and they are theoretically limited to signing 25 recruits per year = 1,625/year. Total 3, 4, & 5 stars available = 1,723.

The star ranking system out of high school is comparing high school kids to high school kids and trying to project how long it will take for that kid to have an impact at the FBS level. Five stars are ahead of their high school peers but to your point, many of those lower rated high school peers will catch up to and even pass many of those former high school 5 stars, mostly because many of those lower rated kids (Cam Sutton, Corey Vereen, etc.) have 5-star hearts. :)

Reactions: 1 person
even if this kid and a few others can provide some quality reps/few series while starters rest, it will be huge... I don't see an O line stopping this kid if his coach tells him "hey, we need you to go full bore for a series or two"....

Not exactly but sort of - at least with the top 3-stars

I looked at 2016 rivals and 2017 rivals because they have a nice screening tool and use a graduated rating system. These are the numbers for 2017 but the numbers for each ranking were very similar for 2016.

6.1 = 36 (5-star)
6.0 = 41 (High 4-star)
5.9 = 107 (Mid 4-star)
5.8 = 211 (Low 4-star)
subtotal = 395 4/5-stars on Rivals
5.7 = 269 (High 3-star)
5.6 = 413 (Mid 3-star)
5.5 = 646 (Low 3-star)
subtotal = 1,328 3-stars on Rivals
5.4 = 1019 (High 2-star)
5.3 = 558 (Mid 2-star)
5.2 = 672 (Low 2-star)
subtotal = 2249 2-stars on Rivals

There are 65 Power 5 schools and they are theoretically limited to signing 25 recruits per year = 1,625/year. Total 3, 4, & 5 stars available = 1,723.

The star ranking system out of high school is comparing high school kids to high school kids and trying to project how long it will take for that kid to have an impact at the FBS level. Five stars are ahead of their high school peers but to your point, many of those lower rated high school peers will catch up to and even pass many of those former high school 5 stars, mostly because many of those lower rated kids (Cam Sutton, Corey Vereen, etc.) have 5-star hearts. :)

So, per your numbers here, the breakdown is ....

36 5stars + 359 4stars= 395 4 and 5 star recruits
vs
1,328 3stars

1,328 is slightly greater than 395, therefore, Chattavol420's assertion that "if you add up the 4 and 5 stars it's about the same number as the 3 stars" is not remotely true.

Good work btw, appreciate the info.

Coach might need to plug Butler into the DE rotation this year.

Be curious to see where he plays. Heard Doug Mathews said this morning that both Butler and Bennett could be true freshmen who could help at DT. However, at 6'4 275, Mathew is kind of a tweener and we're very thin at DE.....so your point looks to be a good one to bring up.

Be curious to see where he plays. Heard Doug Mathews said this morning that both Butler and Bennett could be true freshmen who could help at DT. However, at 6'4 275, Mathew is kind of a tweener and we're very thin at DE.....so your point looks to be a good one to bring up.

Yep. I kinda get the feeling they want Butler at DT down the road, but early on they may have to keep him at DE. We're gonna need either him or Deandre Johnson to be able to play meaningful snaps this year.

VN Store

Back