Matthew Butler doesn't look like a freshman

Butler was criminally underrated, IMO. Stats aren't everything but he put up better numbers his senior year (44 TFL, 26 sacks & 36 QB hurries) than some higher-rated guys recorded in 3 years.

I like Eric Crosby & Kivon Bennett a lot, but I'd be surprised if Butler doesn't end up being the best of the bunch.

Reactions: 5 people
He sure looks the part. Hope he can come in a contribute heavily, even be special at DT as a freshman. We're very thin there and it'd be great to have him play at a very high level from the get-go.

Reactions: 2 people
Butler was criminally underrated, IMO. Stats aren't everything but he put up better numbers his senior year (44 TFL, 26 sacks & 36 QB hurries) than some higher-rated guys recorded in 3 years.

I like Eric Crosby & Kivon Bennett a lot, but I'd be surprised if Butler doesn't end up being the best of the bunch.

He definitely looks the part

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

I think it's time people figure this recruiting rankings business is a racket. Its based on kids going to their camps and paying them fees. Just look at the NFL and how many 2 and 3 star guys are dominating.

I don't care about high school stats. I simply watch the TAPE. And Matthew Butler simply jumps off the tape as a player. I would have rated him as a 5 star prospect. 4 star at the very least. The fact he was just a 3 star is laughable.

Reactions: 13 people
I think it's time people figure this recruiting rankings business is a racket. Its based on kids going to their camps and paying them fees. Just look at the NFL and how many 2 and 3 star guys are dominating.
That's bc there are more 2 and 3 star players each year

Reactions: 4 people

26 sacks. That's crazy even for high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
recruiting analysts are pretty straight forward, it is very difficult to rank natural will, leadership, comeptitiveness, and desire. Further, some kids bodies just simply keep growing, or maturing.

There seems to be a strong correlation between natural athleticism, perceived talent level, and maturity (grades), which rankings show to be predictors of future success.

More often than not, elite 4 and 5 star kids will help you win championships. Thats a fact. Sometimes scheme will help, OSU. But, more sites, more analysts, more camps, more chances for watered down rankings. Also, with mote folks doing it possibility that they might get it right.

I don't care about high school stats. I simply watch the TAPE. And Matthew Butler simply jumps off the tape as a player. I would have rated him as a 5 star prospect. 4 star at the very least. The fact he was just a 3 star is laughable.
Lol, where do you get these tapes? You watch highlight videos, just like the rest of us. Highlight videos make even an average player look like a superstar. Real talent evaluators look at things they do wrong. That's why they have scouts, so they can go look at the good and the bad. I can 100% confirm scouts are more interested in the bad than the good when visiting kids.

Reactions: 7 people
Damn! He looks the part.
I hope he can play at end. Need more there than at tackle.

Lol, where do you get these tapes? You watch highlight videos, just like the rest of us. Highlight videos make even an average player look like a superstar. Real talent evaluators look at things they do wrong. That's why they have scouts, so they can go look at the good and the bad. I can 100% confirm scouts are more interested in the bad than the good when visiting kids.

How often are you in contact with "Real Talent Evaluators."

I just love when a player checks all the boxes of things they do wrong or "bad."

SMH

Moves, a players success lies in the moves he develops and how fast he makes them

I'm predicting a monster year for him.
22 TFL with 14.5 sacks. Will catch up to Barnett's sack total by end of junior year. Future top 5 pick. I think this kid will be a HOF.

Wut?

Reactions: 5 people

So your saying that he didn't play the game and go to camps like the rest of them did?

Go look at the class rankings from the last 10 years and you will see a correlation with wins. The fact that you don't know this doesn't shock me though.

Put him and Bain's photo on back of Jumbotron and other teams will not get off the bus! Game over.

VN Store

Back