Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
This job requires either a big name who will attract top recruits like flies to honey or a grinder who has built up a program from nothing. The big names are less likely to take on a job with sanctions looming.

A grinder who builds up programs, especially those in smaller towns like Ames (sorry, for football it's true), Conway, SC, and Lynchburg, VA might see competing in the SEC for SEC money as a good thing.

Campbell would certainly be a grinder who could do very well (even if it took a minute) here in Knoxville.

Reactions: BIGORANGEBUBBA
I thought Vol fans think highly of Tennessee? If it’s one of the top jobs, it should facilitate a higher ceiling than at Iowa St.

And you should come to grips with even a home run hire not averaging too much more than 8 wins/year. Peak years more, 10 or 11, with down years 6 or 7.

Excluding Saban and Dabo, the only class above Campbell are the Smart, Riley, Day types. P5 guys that have gone to multiple NY6 games and multiple top 10 teams in the last 5 years. And given what those inherited and where they’re at, Campbell being a FG kicker away from having Iowa St in playoff contention is more impressive.

We need a builder. We need a more with less to catch up to Bama and UGa. That’s Campbell.

My concern with him is losing games he shouldn’t, but I think the recruiting bump at Tennessee (top-25 rather than top 50) would give his culture and style of play enough of a buffer. And the combination would thrive in games that we “shouldn’t” win
Go away back to your lame conference you Big 12 loser.

It’s not that we’re too good for Freeze, it’s just that common sense dictates that when you’re staring down the barrel of a serious NCAA investigation, you don’t hire a guy who’s last coaching stop ended with 15 Level 1 violations.
It's amazing to me that everyone is so worried about an organization that likely won't even exist five years from now.

Just ridiculous. And he’s not going to be hired here, get over it.
Sorry, forgot to ask your permission to express my opinion.

Also, your assessment of my assertion as ridiculous is based on what? Your opinion? My assertion is based on his track record of success at schools with far, far lesser resources than ours.

IT would be real nice if Fulmer would call this man and see if he would be interested in taking the UT job after this year..he would be a hell of a hire bar none....still young...Iowa state wins the Big 12 if they beat WV to.
Campbell would be on my list...but prob like 6-8 on the list.

Campbell would be on my list...but prob like 6-8 on the list.
I agree, I have a strong feeling that is who it is. would not be my first choice but we could do worse I suppose, provided that there is nothing In the violations projections and what that entails that causes it to go an alternate route.

The only thing that declining an interview by the Jets indicates, is that Campbell's IQ is north of 80.

Vanderbilt is a better job than the Jets at the moment.
article says we pay our coaches 3.5. if true were set to drop some coin this time

Yeah! Like Saban, Dabo, Urban, Bobby Bowden, Paterno, or Bear Bryant! Call one of those guys, screw Campbell!!
Is this real life??

A massive faction of our fan base seems to forget where we’ve been the last 15 years as a program, our administration’s record of ineptitude, and now what we’re now facing in terms of NCAA sanctions.

If White is able to pull a HC who is “better than” Campbell, it’s due to his prowess as an AD, not the status of our program.

A massive faction of our fan base seems to forget where we’ve been the last 15 years as a program, the ineptitude of our administration, let alone what we’re now facing in terms of sanctions.

If White is able to pull a HC who is “better than” Campbell, it’s due to his prowess as an AD, not the status of our program.

If we made White the second highest paid AD in the country, and he brings in an up-and-coming coordinator with no experience in program-building as a HC, then the calls for his head will start the same day.

If we made White the second highest paid AD in the country, and he brings in an up-and-coming coordinator with no experience in program-building as a HC, then the calls for his head will start the same day.

Totally agree. And, I think it would be a massive mistake for him to do that.

That said, I think there are a range of HC’s out there who would consider us, and Campbell is closer to the top of that list than the bottom. I’m referencing the swathe of delusional posts that talk about Campbell (and other accomplished HC’s mentioned) as though they’re up and coming coordinators.

That attitude is the reason why no decent coach will sniff us. So yes, we'll get the coordinator that everyone will hate thus proving what everyone already thinks about us.

That attitude is the reason why no decent coach will sniff us. So yes, we'll get the coordinator that everyone will hate thus proving what everyone already thinks about us.

So no decent head coach will sniff us, because fans who just sat though 3 years of a coordinator trying to learn to HC on the job, don't want to watch it for another 3 years?

Reactions: bullet20
I hope your football coach search goes well. I am 99.99% sure Coach Campbell is not interested in the head coach position. He has about 40 players out of his 2 deep back next year. Of course that leaves 00.01% doubt in my mind so as was said in the movie Dumb and Dumber, "there is a chance."

I hope your football coach search goes well. I am 99.99% sure Coach Campbell is not interested in the head coach position. He has about 40 players out of his 2 deep back next year. Of course that leaves 00.01% doubt in my mind so as was said in the movie Dumb and Dumber, "there is a chance."
So a long term contract that is going to pay him about 1.7 times his current yearly salary will not sway him?

Why did he leave Toledo?
Obviously, with Iowa St being a top 10 team a few plays from the playoffs, the jump isn’t as big to Tennessee as it was to Iowa St. But coaches leave good 2 deeps, particularly for nearly 2x the salary

He may not leave for the UT job, but at some point he's going to get tired of the 9-win ceiling that Iowa State recruiting affords him.

VN Store

Back