Mashack has some March in him

Not saying it’s his best position, but what I am saying is that people were basically saying my take was wrong. Not completely wrong.

I think he can develop into a very good combo guard. I see it like this.

He’ll mostly play the wing. But when teams really ramp up ball pressure and blowing up our screens, then he can play point for a few possessions as a pressure release valve.

ZZ is quick. But Mashack is quick, stronger and taller. He can get to the nail and collapse a defense and force them to play less greedy on our screening guards.

Reactions: TC 83
He seems to be the guy on the team who steps up his play in March. Funny as it seems…You never know who it’ll be. He’s been money on midrange jumpers and can also get to the rim. I hope he becomes more of a focus on offense against Duke. As good as their bigs are, we’ll need some guards to step up. And maybe that’ll open things up a little for Santi.

Only player on the team who can drive and create his own offense.

Mashack has been impressive.

Not that the offensive showing was anything to brag about last night but he didn't seem to have much issue trying to run the offense.

If his offense can catch up with his defense, he should be a solid contributor next year.

This team just don't have any shooters outside Vescovi to have any consistency whatsoever on offense.

He seems to be the guy on the team who steps up his play in March. Funny as it seems…You never know who it’ll be. He’s been money on midrange jumpers and can also get to the rim. I hope he becomes more of a focus on offense against Duke. As good as their bigs are, we’ll need some guards to step up. And maybe that’ll open things up a little for Santi.

Mashack could develop into the number one option offensively for this team next season along with Phillips.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Mashack is the most reliable all-around player on the team right now. I still lack faith in his shot although he certainly hit some big buckets last night.

I think JJJ and Phillips are more banged up than they're letting on. JJJ's shot looks flat and he's generally short on everything. Phillips just seems slower and far less explosive. Not making excuses, it's March, gotta sack up and play through it, but they are not 100% and that's definitely impacting the offense.

Julien went on the run when JJJ was out.
Nope. At 12:00 mark in 2nd half UT was up 18. At 10:42 and 9:47 Julien hit 2 back to back 3’s. James went to bench with 8:50 left. JJJ was in the game from 13:11 mark to 8:50. The run started when James was guarding him. Shows as much on the scorecard. Julien made his last 3 off a fast break at 7:29. James came back in game at 7:19.

If, as UT fans, we're being honest with ourselves, we have to admit that it's going to take an insane game from our guys to win against Duke. They're smokin' hot and full of 5 star talent. UT, on the other hand, is a flawed bunch with guys who regularly pull no shows and we're missing our PG/leader. On paper, there's no way we should expect to win this game. Not saying we can't or won't, but it's going to take a tremendous effort and from more than 1 or 2 guys. Can't have JJJ, ON and Key pulling no shows. As for Plavi, anything we get from him is a bonus. Personally, I don't think we can beat Duke right now. Early in the season with ZZ, sure, but now, not so much. If I'm being honest, I don't think we're a sweet 16 team, but at least we didn't pull a first game choke like UVA and 'Zona did so there's that. Losing to Duke, while disgusting, isn't shameful. So Go Vols. Give it all you've got and maybe we get a miracle and make the sweet 16.
On paper it is an even game. Eye test we look like a bubble team of late. Seniors have to play well. Vescovi, James and Nkamhoua, Key and Plavsic. A bit frustrating when you know your senior leaders can perform so much better but don’t when it matters the most. If Mashack is our best player on the court again we will get pounded. If we are passive and are just a perimeter or fade away jump shooting team we will get rolled too. Duke may very well outscore us by 20 from FT line if we are content shooting from 3 or fade aways (ie: James/Nkamhoua).

Despite how bad we have looked since ZZZ got hurt and even, at times, before, our 2 biggest losses of this year are 12 at Ky and 13 at Florida. We are not getting blown out, our defense insures we will stay in the game

Nope. At 12:00 mark in 2nd half UT was up 18. At 10:42 and 9:47 Julien hit 2 back to back 3’s. James went to bench with 8:50 left. JJJ was in the game from 13:11 mark to 8:50. The run started when James was guarding him. Shows as much on the scorecard. Julien made his last 3 off a fast break at 7:29. James came back in game at 7:19.

I’m going to assume you actually did all of this lonely detective work, and I’ll take you at your word. JJJ was apparently out for part of his run, and in for part of it. I noticed he was out on the last shot.

Last edited:
I’m going to assume you actually did all of this lonely detective work, and I’ll take you at your word. JJJ was apparently out for part of his run, and in for part of it. I noticed he was out on the last shot.
Wasn’t difficult. Took about 1 minute on utsports.com. Julien was only averaging 4 pts per game for the year and lit us up with 15.

His offense has really started to turn the corner, but the guy just continues to be one the best defenders I've seen in the college game. He was only credited with 2 steal, but I saw 4 in the first half that he directly caused to be turnovers/steals. He made #0's life miserable for 40 minutes.

Despite how bad we have looked since ZZZ got hurt and even, at times, before, our 2 biggest losses of this year are 12 at Ky and 13 at Florida. We are not getting blown out, our defense insures we will stay in the game
100%
Both games were closer than the final score indicates too.

Reactions: The Dog

VN Store

Back