Mashack has some March in him

NighthawkVol

He seems to be the guy on the team who steps up his play in March. Funny as it seems…You never know who it’ll be. He’s been money on midrange jumpers and can also get to the rim. I hope he becomes more of a focus on offense against Duke. As good as their bigs are, we’ll need some guards to step up. And maybe that’ll open things up a little for Santi.

We’ve needed a “March” player for quite some time. Glad he stepped up. Hope he continues this level of play against Duke!

I hope we look for him more. And I hope he looks for shots when available. Defenses tend to back off of him. Forcing them to respect him might open things up for JJJ, SV, and even JP.

Speaking of which, JJJ has had 2 subpar offensive games in a row. He’s due one of those big games he has every so often.

Yep Mashack won that game for us. Key as well was okay. We defended well but James got lit up by the fella Jillian when they went on a run late. Our seniors (Vescovi, James, Nkamhoua) have to play much better against Duke to have a chance. They all played poorly last night.

On paper we match up well with Duke. They don’t have a ton of guards, they are young and don’t shoot that well from perimeter. But if we keep turning the ball over they will convert and beat us by 20. Plus they will gets calls from refs because they always do.

There were large gaps of just horrible basketball against Louisiana. It looked like UT didn’t know what they were doing. And it can’t just be no Zeigler. This is a mature team and some of the plays and decisions they make are head scratching. Throw in tentative play on offensive end in a lose and go home tournament, and just hard to watch. They play afraid offensively and are not aggressive. Basically how Nkamhoua and James have been their entire careers on offensive end. Someone needs to whisper in their ear that this is it. No more games if you lose. Why don’t you play like it.

I don’t think Vescovi played that poorly. Sat most of the first half due to the 2 fouls of which neither were blatant. Team was a turnover machine with him on the bench. Didn’t force bad shots as he was the focus of the defense. Still got rebounds, assists, and played good D.

Definitely some similarities last night with the midrange to Richardson breaking out in the tourney his junior season.
Adds a consistent 3 to his arsenal and he could be filling up the box score next year! Points, assists, rebounds, steals, etc. he made some questionable passes, but he showed he can handle playing PG. Which I said he could earlier this year and I got slammed for it lol.

Yep Mashack won that game for us. Key as well was okay. We defended well but James got lit up by the fella Jillian when they went on a run late. Our seniors (Vescovi, James, Nkamhoua) have to play much better against Duke to have a chance. They all played poorly last night.

On paper we match up well with Duke. They don’t have a ton of guards, they are young and don’t shoot that well from perimeter. But if we keep turning the ball over they will convert and beat us by 20. Plus they will gets calls from refs because they always do.

There were large gaps of just horrible basketball against Louisiana. It looked like UT didn’t know what they were doing. And it can’t just be no Zeigler. This is a mature team and some of the plays and decisions they make are head scratching. Throw in tentative play on offensive end in a lose and go home tournament, and just hard to watch. They play afraid offensively and are not aggressive. Basically how Nkamhoua and James have been their entire careers on offensive end. Someone needs to whisper in their ear that this is it. No more games if you
lose. Why don’t you play like it.

Julien went on the run when JJJ was out.

We’ve needed a “March” player for quite some time. Glad he stepped up. Hope he continues this level of play against Duke!
You hit the nail on the head Mookie. We need more players with some March in 'em. Sadly, one of our other guys was ZZ. Hopefully, we've got some of those types redshirting and coming in this next class.

He seems to be the guy on the team who steps up his play in March. Funny as it seems…You never know who it’ll be. He’s been money on midrange jumpers and can also get to the rim. I hope he becomes more of a focus on offense against Duke. As good as their bigs are, we’ll need some guards to step up. And maybe that’ll open things up a little for Santi.

They covered up Santi with their best guard and help. Mashack will have lots of space in that situation. He had open looks from 15 all night.

I hope we look for him more. And I hope he looks for shots when available. Defenses tend to back off of him. Forcing them to respect him might open things up for JJJ, SV, and even JP.

Speaking of which, JJJ has had 2 subpar offensive games in a row. He’s due one of those big games he has every so often.
He tends to disappear way too often for a senior. I just don't understand JJJ and ON and their disappearing acts. One would think that if he has one of those "big" games, it's gonna come against Duke. Can't think of a better stage for him to make that occasional appearance on than vs Duke for a trip to the sweet 16.

They covered up Santi with their best guard and help. Mashack will have lots of space in that situation. He had open looks from 15 all night.
It also seems like a perfect situation for Phillips to show his stuff, too. Reportedly a freak athlete who can get to the rim whenever he likes. Maybe it's a freshman thing and he's deferring to all those upperclass players? Dunno, but at some point, the competitor in him just needs to say get out of my way and let me do this. I'd get really sick and tired of these games where you can see others just not getting it done and the games/season slipping through our proverbial fingers if I were Phillips. Then again, maybe he doesn't have that alpha in him either? That's something I'm not sure you develop. Either you have it or you don't.

It also seems like a perfect situation for Phillips to show his stuff, too. Reportedly a freak athlete who can get to the rim whenever he likes. Maybe it's a freshman thing and he's deferring to all those upperclass players? Dunno, but at some point, the competitor in him just needs to say get out of my way and let me do this. I'd get really sick and tired of these games where you can see others just not getting it done and the games/season slipping through our proverbial fingers if I were Phillips. Then again, maybe he doesn't have that alpha in him either? That's something I'm not sure you develop. Either you have it or you don't.
Maybe he’s still not 100% recovered from his injury? I don’t know, but he was playing much better before missing those games.

I am beginning to wonder if the performance of late is the norm and the "good" few games are the exception.

Well maybe that Duke "FAB FIVE" of Filipowski,Lively,Mitchell,Proctor and Whitehead will be taken to school by a group of older guys from UT,because apparently to every basketball commentator out there ,they doesn't even stand a chance against the FAB FIVE.. so hell...why even "tip it" off ya know....pfff

Phillips has a couple of things not working for him. 1- When a team packs it in, and plays Santi, Phillips doesn’t have the body strength to get inside. 2- The larger problem is he’s had minor hand, wrist and hip injuries that seem make him have a tough time holding the ball. Early in the season he was literally dunking over people. Now he can’t handle a pass, or drive in traffic without losing the ball.

They sagged off Olivier. They gave Mashack tons of room as you said. Our scouting report is pretty public knowledge at this point. Gotta make some shots they give us to force the defense to be more honest.

Phillips has a couple of things not working for him. 1- When a team packs it in, and plays Santi, Phillips doesn’t have the body strength to get inside. 2- The larger problem is he’s had minor hand, wrist and hip injuries that seem make him have a tough time holding the ball. Early in the season he was literally dunking over people. Now he can’t handle a pass, or drive in traffic without losing the ball.

I think (hope?) Phillips is going to make a big leap this off-season. He needs to get healthy and work on his body, but you can see the talent in him. You don’t score 25 points against USC by accident. That’s the type of player he can be. I refuse to believe he is a bust. I think he’s just been dealt a crap hand this season and needs to rest up.

Adds a consistent 3 to his arsenal and he could be filling up the box score next year! Points, assists, rebounds, steals, etc. he made some questionable passes, but he showed he can handle playing PG. Which I said he could earlier this year and I got slammed for it lol.
Well he had 3ast to 3to and could’ve had 1-2 more that we got lucky on, I wouldn’t say anyone watching him has thought “man, he’s a really good PG” or “PG is definitely his best position”…he’s being forced to play there out of necessity, and he’s done a solid job, but I would be fine never seeing him at point again lol.

I don’t think Vescovi played that poorly. Sat most of the first half due to the 2 fouls of which neither were blatant. Team was a turnover machine with him on the bench. Didn’t force bad shots as he was the focus of the defense. Still got rebounds, assists, and played good D.

Louisiana also played great defense on him and stuck on him like glue.

The key player that needs to turn things around, IMO, is Plavsic. This guy has been inconsistent all year long. If this guy can really start playing good ball, we now got that center threat in the paint. Either him or Aidoo but Aidoo is a little undersized and still young. Frankly Aidoo has been beating out Plavsic lately at times which shows that Plavsic really needs to step it up. Another upperclassmen that really needs to take over. He showed some flashes last night.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Well maybe that Duke "FAB FIVE" of Filipowski,Lively,Mitchell,Proctor and Whitehead will be taken to school by a group of older guys from UT,because apparently to every basketball commentator out there ,they doesn't even stand a chance against the FAB FIVE.. so hell...why even "tip it" off ya know....pfff
If, as UT fans, we're being honest with ourselves, we have to admit that it's going to take an insane game from our guys to win against Duke. They're smokin' hot and full of 5 star talent. UT, on the other hand, is a flawed bunch with guys who regularly pull no shows and we're missing our PG/leader. On paper, there's no way we should expect to win this game. Not saying we can't or won't, but it's going to take a tremendous effort and from more than 1 or 2 guys. Can't have JJJ, ON and Key pulling no shows. As for Plavi, anything we get from him is a bonus. Personally, I don't think we can beat Duke right now. Early in the season with ZZ, sure, but now, not so much. If I'm being honest, I don't think we're a sweet 16 team, but at least we didn't pull a first game choke like UVA and 'Zona did so there's that. Losing to Duke, while disgusting, isn't shameful. So Go Vols. Give it all you've got and maybe we get a miracle and make the sweet 16.

Reactions: Namorto1
Well he had 3ast to 3to and could’ve had 1-2 more that we got lucky on, I wouldn’t say anyone watching him has thought “man, he’s a really good PG” or “PG is definitely his best position”…he’s being forced to play there out of necessity, and he’s done a solid job, but I would be fine never seeing him at point again lol.
Not saying it’s his best position, but what I am saying is that people were basically saying my take was wrong. Not completely wrong.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

VN Store

Back