Martin and Howland top 2

People talk about Martin's mental toughness, and in the next breath talk about him leaving a top 10 attendance program because he is butthurt about an online petition?

Do you people realize this is real life? Do you realize how weak of an argument that is?

I would say if the boosters not letting him use the private planes for recruiting story is true, then it's a bit more than just being "butthurt about an online petition".

It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Top ten attendance three years in a row for a bubble team.

This year they did that with the worst regular season of the three. Blaming the fans is beyond dumb. If you need evidence that it is stupid, just look at the ringleaders of talking that nonsense. Mickey Dearstone and Wes Rucker.

This is one of the most passionate fan bases in the country. Cuonzo Martin should feel honored that he got this opportunity because his resume didn't warrant it. He was given this job out of circumstance. He was underachieving and fans were critical. BFD.

Nomination for best post of the year.

Reactions: 1 person
We complained about Chavis and said that no major program would want him in charge of their defense. Well, we got what we wanted. He left! He suceeded at LSU and we ended up with Sal.

We complained about Fulmer and we got what we wanted. Then we got what we didn't want. KIffin as his replacement.

We complained about Martin and wanted Pearl as his replacement. We didn't get Pearl as his replacement but we may get Martin to leave, afterall...

Acutally UT did want Kiffin - and as for Chavis, Monte came in the package first.

I'm guessing the "petition" doesn't have as much to do with it as the disrespect from some of the higher up people. If the plane thing is true, I'm not sure I would stay. He is tough, but I'm not sure he takes being disrespected lightly either. Being tough and being a doormat are two different things.

what is the plane thing?

Martin is the hot name right now but I'm not sure why anyone would take him over Howland. Dude is a superb coach with Final Four experience. I like Zo but he's not as good a coach as Howland IMO.

And there you go with the personal shots, can't help it can you? Yet you stated you never do such, comical.

I don't take personal shots. That's you bro.

I forgot you don't like when it's implied that you are a Martin defender. I'll try to refrain.

If you think what I said was a personal shot I'm not sure what to tell you. You'd think someone with as much message board experience as you would have thicker skin.

Martin is the hot name right now but I'm not sure why anyone would take him over Howland. Dude is a superb coach with Final Four experience. I like Zo but he's not as good a coach as Howland IMO.

Because Howland's rep took a nosedive the last 3 years or so at UCLA.

Ha Ha Pearl with a show cause got a job before Howland -- gotta be a good reason for that.

I don't take personal shots. That's you bro.

I forgot you don't like when it's implied that you are a Martin defender. I'll try to refrain.

If you think what I said was a personal shot I'm not sure what to tell you. You'd think someone with as much message board experience as you would have thicker skin.

Pot meet kettle

Martin won't leave because of the fans or a petition. Those may be factors, but only small ones. How does his family like Knoxville? Do they want to live in Milwaukee? What is Martin's relationship with Hart and the UT admin and what are his thoughts on the Marquette admin? Why did Buzz Williams leave a basketball school where he has had success for the crappy VATech program?

Martin is going to get paid either way. It's not easy moving a family with 3 young kids unless of course they don't like it here. Maybe Milwaukee is a better fit but maybe not. Maybe he likes his team here next year than what he would have at Marquette. Maybe, like Bruce, he thinks the fan craziness is an indication of expectations, and doesn't mind coaching at a football first school because he has more resources and exposure here.

All sorts of factors to consider. A man like Martin isn't leaving over message boards and a stupid petition. We will know soon enough.

Pot meet kettle

How so? I wasn't meaning that as a shot. Just speaking the truth. I didn't say there's anything wrong with being on a board. I'm on here.

I like BTO. He seems like a decent guy who loves UT basketball. We disagree on a lot of things and I kinda like the sparring.

Last edited:
what is the plane thing?

I have no idea if it's true, no inside info, you can find the thread from yesterday.

The gist of it is that the coaches have been flying commercial for recruiting the last few months because they have been denied access to usual private planes by the planes owners.

There's a lot of factors on both sides of the equation, but I would be a little surprised if Martin took this job for two reasons. One, the uncertainty of conference realignment going forward, and the breakup of the old Big East has lessened the appeal of the position to an extent. Two, Marquette doesn't have an AD at the moment. It would be hard to take a job without knowing who your boss will be. I'm not saying Martin won't leave Tennessee period, but I'm not sure he's willing to take as big of a gamble as this might be.

I have no idea if it's true, no inside info, you can find the thread from yesterday.

The gist of it is that the coaches have been flying commercial for recruiting the last few months because they have been denied access to usual private planes by the planes owners.

To put it bluntly, higher profile boosters basically stopped supporting Martin.

If true, it's not a good sign.

VN Store

Back