Marrone-Steele-Chaney

Someone out there PLEASE explain the fascination with Marrone! I do not understand it in the least. The dude has sucked in the NFL and was 25-25 at Syracuse, where is the love coming from?! This guy would be a complete disaster.
Imagine you are the CEO of a tech business and you're looking to hire someone to lead one of your divisions. Would you be interested in someone who had 5 years of experience at Twitter and 2 years at Facebook even if that person didn't perform well enough at those companies to climb the professional ladder? That's kind of how I view Marrone. He didn't kill it in the NFL but he undoubtedly learned a lot through his experience there and developed some valuable relationships. And he's had some bright spots... including winning his division in 2017. I don't know why the Jaguars went 1-15 this year because I don't watch the NFL but he's never had a season like this one in his 11 years as a HC so I wouldn't read much into it.

As for Syracuse, they've only had 3 seasons in the past 20 years where they've won at least 8 games and Marrone was the HC for 2 of them... it's an incredibly tough place to win. A win percentage of .500 there ain't bad.

I'm not for or against hiring him but I can see where some people like the idea.

Last edited:
I think I'd prefer the CEO style head coach that is good at managing the team and lets the coordinators and assistants coach. Of course he'd have to be a good in-game coach as well. I think that's more the Saban style. Yeah he get's involved every now and then during practices, but relies on the coaches to do the work. You can't handle all the HC duties and be a coordinator, assistant, position, special teams, and s&c coach (Pruitt). The HC has to delegate. Pruitt is still green and makes all the rookie leadership mistakes. That's where Fulmer should've been coaching Pruitt.

Reactions: jmcarr33
Here is my question and I have not bothered to research the answer. It looks like TN will have one QB who stays in the pocket mostly (Bailey) and 2 QB's that are truly runner/mobile (Salter, Hooker). What team/offense has Chaney run that utilized the running/mobile QB to its full extent? I guess question 2 would be why would a new HC keep Chaney?

Uh oh. I used the same “adult staff” comment describing this potential group and people thought they would roast me for It.

HC and DC wise it would be a major upgrade from what we have or had since CLK. (Not saying CLK was an adult)

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
The fascination is that his name has been floated and he was a candidate previously.

Lots of guys "suck" in the NFL. Saban and Spurrier sucked in the NFL. Sherman was good in the NFL... and sucked at TAM.

The failure with Jones is that few looked at the numbers behind the numbers. His record at Cincy was distorted because he played so many bad teams and good programs in down years. He was 4-8 at Cincy in the only year when most of his opponents finished with winning records.

The same goes for Marrone at Syracuse. He took over an absolutely awful program. They were 10-37 in the 4 years prior to him taking over. They were 17-31 in the 4 years after him. During that 12 year span they had 3 winning seasons... his second and 4th seasons plus the year after he left. Looking at program trajectory his team was 8-5 in his last season at Syracuse.... his team went from losing and frequently being uncompetitive to being competitive in every game they played even when badly overmatched from a talent standpoint.

In his 4 years, a train wreck of a program lost 3 games to non-bowl qualifiers.

I'm NOT saying he's my pick or even a good pick. I am saying that he likely would not be a "complete disaster" and that there are things that make him a "good", not great, candidate.

Also... his time in those two particular NFL franchises could uniquely prepare him for a dysfunctional football program and athletic department.

One significant note. In the two years prior to his arrival, Syracuse scored 16.4 ppg and 18.1 ppg. In his last year, they scored 30 ppg. If Pruitt were making that kind of progress we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I appreciate the information. I would agree, after a little more investigation, that "complete disaster" was an overstatement. I do, however, believe he is not, nor should not, be the replacement for Pruitt.

I think this would be what you call a mature staff that could attract mature, quality players. Players that have a workman like attitude and approach to training/practice/gameplay. I don't see gimmicks or tricks with this staff. No turnover chains or dunk buckets.

I wouldn't say it would be a "home run" but I think (on paper) it would be the best staff we've hired since the Fulmer era. We would beat who we are supposed to beat and compete against UGA & UF, and against most popular non conference opponents.

The negative would be that a staff like this would need time to build a winning program, and time is a luxury not available in college football these days, especially from the Vol nation. However, if this staff stays away from bonehead decisions and ugly losses, they may earn time, unlike Pruitt.

Someone out there PLEASE explain the fascination with Marrone! I do not understand it in the least. The dude has sucked in the NFL and was 25-25 at Syracuse, where is the love coming from?! This guy would be a complete disaster.

Marrone is not my first (or even second) choice but here's what those who support his candidacy would claim:

At Syracuse, he inherited a program that went 10-37 under the prior coach. After he left, the next coach went 14-23. Obviously 25-25 isn't great but it far exceeds those coaches that preceded and followed him

In the NFL, coaches have to cook with the ingredients they are given. We hired a coach that won 25% of his NFL games (Lane Kiffin) and he turned out to be a good college coach. Heck, Nick Saban couldn't win half of his NFL games nor Spurrier. The 5 coaches that preceded him in Buffalo were a combined 74-118. 15-17 was not great but it exceeded Buffalo's 5 previous hires by a wide margin. The preceeding 3 coaches in Jacksonville were 18-65. 23-43 is not good (22-28 before the obvious Trevor Lawrence tank job this year) but that record plus an AFC championship game appearance far exeeds the prior 3 coaches in Jacksonville. No one is saying his NFL record is good but some context is needed.

I would not want to hire him but he would be far more accomplished than our past 4 hires.

Reactions: volmoon
There's none! 1-15 this year.

SIAP...been thinking about all the rumors out there. I've heard the idea of all of this being pre-orchestrated, but putting everything together based on rumors and innuendo, what do you think about this happening?

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

Is there any history with the 3 of them?
Yes they all coached some of these top recruits grandads back in the day with Fulmer!! Add the new S&C assistant to the list of former Fulmer people!
Anyone see a pattern here?

Reactions: onevol74
We can't hire someone just because of that though. Minus Pruitt, the last three hires were all head coaches in some capacity and look what happened there.
If I’m not mistaken, the first of those 3 was pulling double duty as head coach AND athletic director.
GBO!!

Imagine you are the CEO of a tech business and you're looking to hire someone to lead one of your divisions. Would you be interested in someone who had 5 years of experience at Twitter and 2 years at Facebook even if that person didn't perform well enough at those companies to climb the professional ladder? That's kind of how I view Marrone. He didn't kill it in the NFL but he undoubtedly learned a lot through his experience there and developed some valuable relationships. And he's had some bright spots... including winning his division in 2017. I don't know why the Jaguars went 1-15 this year because I don't watch the NFL but he's never had a season like this one in his 11 years as a HC so I wouldn't read much into it.

As for Syracuse, they've only had 3 seasons in the past 20 years where they've won at least 8 games and Marrone was the HC for 2 of them... it's an incredibly tough place to win. A win percentage of .500 there ain't bad.

I'm not for or against hiring him but I can see where some people like the idea.

I get what you’re saying but if we were to go that route wouldn’t Bill O’Brien be a much better hire? He is considered a very good QB coach and took a Penn State football program that was dealing with the fallout of the Sandusky scandal to back to back winning seasons.

SIAP...been thinking about all the rumors out there. I've heard the idea of all of this being pre-orchestrated, but putting everything together based on rumors and innuendo, what do you think about this happening?

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

Is there any history with the 3 of them?
I think it'll bring around the same or slightly better results compared to what we have now. Until the administration grows a set and hires a winner, it'll be the same old "3 years to get his guys" trial and error BS that we've seen for a decade now. Tennessee will not win again unless it coughs up the dough for a winner.

FWIW, I realize people want to be be hopeful and optimistic about the future. As for me, I'm fresh out of both of those things, and simply here for the freak show.

VN Store

Back