Marrone-Steele-Chaney

I appreciate the information. I would agree, after a little more investigation, that "complete disaster" was an overstatement. I do, however, believe he is not, nor should not, be the replacement for Pruitt.
The only thing I am relatively sure of is that Pruitt isn't the answer. I like him. I wish he were. I like that he's a very good teacher of the game. But his decision making and especially regarding personnel has been suspect. I appreciate a certain amount of spine... but he's too stubborn for his own good.

Marrone could be the perfect fit. I just don't know.

I will say this though. I think the "perfect fit" will be someone who has a relationship with Fulmer like Cut had with him. A guy that Fulmer respects/fears enough to leave him alone. Fulmer seems to have a nature instinct to micromanage when he sees a subordinate in trouble.

The fascination is that his name has been floated and he was a candidate previously.

Lots of guys "suck" in the NFL. Saban and Spurrier sucked in the NFL. Sherman was good in the NFL... and sucked at TAM.

The failure with Jones is that few looked at the numbers behind the numbers. His record at Cincy was distorted because he played so many bad teams and good programs in down years. He was 4-8 at Cincy in the only year when most of his opponents finished with winning records.

The same goes for Marrone at Syracuse. He took over an absolutely awful program. They were 10-37 in the 4 years prior to him taking over. They were 17-31 in the 4 years after him. During that 12 year span they had 3 winning seasons... his second and 4th seasons plus the year after he left. Looking at program trajectory his team was 8-5 in his last season at Syracuse.... his team went from losing and frequently being uncompetitive to being competitive in every game they played even when badly overmatched from a talent standpoint.

In his 4 years, a train wreck of a program lost 3 games to non-bowl qualifiers.

I'm NOT saying he's my pick or even a good pick. I am saying that he likely would not be a "complete disaster" and that there are things that make him a "good", not great, candidate.

Also... his time in those two particular NFL franchises could uniquely prepare him for a dysfunctional football program and athletic department.

One significant note. In the two years prior to his arrival, Syracuse scored 16.4 ppg and 18.1 ppg. In his last year, they scored 30 ppg. If Pruitt were making that kind of progress we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Good points. I wouldn’t be opposed to it. Think we could do much worse.

Reactions: orangerush
The only thing I am relatively sure of is that Pruitt isn't the answer. I like him. I wish he were. I like that he's a very good teacher of the game. But his decision making and especially regarding personnel has been suspect. I appreciate a certain amount of spine... but he's too stubborn for his own good.

Marrone could be the perfect fit. I just don't know.

I will say this though. I think the "perfect fit" will be someone who has a relationship with Fulmer like Cut had with him. A guy that Fulmer respects/fears enough to leave him alone. Fulmer seems to have a nature instinct to micromanage when he sees a subordinate in trouble.
Agreed. I feel Fulmer, at this point, is a major hindrance. I think he saw in Pruitt someone he could mentor and mold into a successful coach. The problem, though, is Fulmer is past his prime and isn't the best teacher for the modern game of college football. Pruitt came into this, I truly believe, with good intentions but doesn't have the experience or charisma needed to run UT. He's a decent man--people calling him dumb are ignorant in their own right--but he's just not at the right moment in his life to be the HC at a major school like UT.

Someone out there PLEASE explain the fascination with Marrone! I do not understand it in the least. The dude has sucked in the NFL and was 25-25 at Syracuse, where is the love coming from?! This guy would be a complete disaster.
I think it's more of a fascination with anyone but Pruitt. It's widely recognized that he can't do the job, and probably fair to question whether he even wants to do the job. We have shown, as an organization, zero level of competence to not screw up the next hiring process, as each one has gotten more outrageous than the one before. So, it really doesn't matter to some people who we hire, so long as it is preceded with firing Pruitt, who we know isn't up to the task. Marrone did something right somewhere to warrant an NFL head coaching job. If the best we can do is hire a former NFL HC, and do it quietly and without incident, then so be it. We can, and have done worse, I'm certain. My own apathy has become such, that I just wish we'd get this show over and done with, whatever the result. I don't even really care, anymore.

Agreed. I feel Fulmer, at this point, is a major hindrance. I think he saw in Pruitt someone he could mentor and mold into a successful coach. The problem, though, is Fulmer is past his prime and isn't the best teacher for the modern game of college football. Pruitt came into this, I truly believe, with good intentions but doesn't have the experience or charisma needed to run UT. He's a decent man--people calling him dumb are ignorant in their own right--but he's just not at the right moment in his life to be the HC at a major school like UT.
I can't quite say that. When Fulmer had Cut... things went great at UT. When Fulmer had someone who he micromanaged, things went south pretty quick. I think Fulmer with the right HC could maybe produce some of that magic we want to see.

Fulmer does some things well... particularly the political things.

SIAP...been thinking about all the rumors out there. I've heard the idea of all of this being pre-orchestrated, but putting everything together based on rumors and innuendo, what do you think about this happening?

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

Is there any history with the 3 of them?
Please no. Can we hire someone/anyone that has a history of winning?

Reactions: Tnfan41 and patrick
SIAP...been thinking about all the rumors out there. I've heard the idea of all of this being pre-orchestrated, but putting everything together based on rumors and innuendo, what do you think about this happening?

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

Yes, and it’s not good.

HC- Marrone
DC- Steele
OC- Chaney

AW HELL NO

Marrone is a good coach. I watched his Jags teams play at Nissan Stadium, and they were loaded with Practice team talent.
I think he is a good coach, but I am not cheerleading his hire either.
I just don't know. This hole is deep and our shovels and ladders are broken.

Reactions: Ten_Titans
Maybe a CEO type that is smart enough to let his Coordinators do their job and come up with a game plan that fits the talent and have enough sense to know how to help implement such a plan on game day then control the game might be what we need now.

Bill O'Brien was a better college coach and better NFL coach. He's going to Alabama as their OC. It would be super Tennessee to hire a much worse fired NFL coach for head coach than Alabama does as a coordinator.

Reactions: Tnfan41
UT has done worse and could do much worse than Marrone. His best showing as HC was in 2017 when he lost to the Patriots in the AFC championship game by 4 pts. Let’s be honest it is not easy to win in Jacksonville. IIRC the franchise has made the playoffs once in the last 13 years. Not sure how to judge his time at Syracuse. Marrone would not be my first choice however he would be a solid option if multiple coaches told us no.

I don’t think he would be a great coach here but he did take Jacksonville to the verge of being in the Super Bowl a few years ago with Blake Bortles as his QB. That’s pretty impressive to me.

VN Store

Back