Marriage and Aristotle

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
I figured that since debates regarding marriage are all the rage this week, a great opportunity to discuss one of the best views on marriage has arisen.

First, Aristotle views marriage as an institution that is solely aimed at procreation, and procreation for the good of the city. Thus, Aristotle believes the city ought to be involved in regulating marriages.

Since the aim is to produce the best offspring, Aristotle believes that the best methods to produce the best offspring must be adhered to. He declares that men are in their prime from around 37 to 50, and women from around 18 to 30; and, when they are in their prime they will produce good offspring, when they are not, they will produce ****.

Further, Aristotle believes that it takes a mother and a father to raise a child, and the only way they will properly take care of the child is if they know it is their child. Thus, men and women remain together while raising said child, but no reason to remain together remains after that.

Thus, for Aristotle, men ought not to marry until they are 37, and they ought to marry 18 year old girls. The two ought to have children for about ten years (so, probably four or five kids), then raise the children until the children are adults (around 16, 17, 18).

According to said model, men would have about 20 years to work and build up financial security before they get married and have kids at 37, and they would be done raising the kids at the latest when they are 63 or 64, and thus done with marriage at 63 or 64.

Women would get married at 18, and they would be done raising kids, and thus done with marriage, at the latest when they are 44 or 45.

The children take care of the parents, thus men and women are basically retired at 64 and 45, respectively. Further, so long as one is no longer in the "procreation period" (37-64 for men; 18-44 for women), there is no shame or dishonor in having sex with whomever you please (so long as it is consensual). Thus, men would be free to have sex with whomever they pleased from the time they were 18 until 36 and from 65 until death; women would be free to have sex with whomever they pleased from 45 until they die.

Sounds like a pretty great system to me (so long as you discount any notions of "love marriages")

This honestly has to be about the dumbest thing I've read regarding marriage.

Not sure I understand how the sex outside of the procreation period. Are they supposed to use some forms of contraceptive so they don't land outside of that period of procreation?

Not sure I understand how the sex outside of the procreation period. Are they supposed to use some forms of contraceptive so they don't land outside of that period of procreation?

Aristotle mentions both preventing pregnancy and aborting.

I don't follow his teachings or writings or whatever he did & don't care what he has to say about squat....never gave him any thought till you came along.

Reactions: 1 person
Did he advocate this for all classes of people including slaves?

I thought slaves were vital to that society. Were the slaves not good for the city?

I figured that since debates regarding marriage are all the rage this week, a great opportunity to discuss one of the best views on marriage has arisen.

First, Aristotle views marriage as an institution that is solely aimed at procreation, and procreation for the good of the city. Thus, Aristotle believes the city ought to be involved in regulating marriages.

Since the aim is to produce the best offspring, Aristotle believes that the best methods to produce the best offspring must be adhered to. He declares that men are in their prime from around 37 to 50, and women from around 18 to 30; and, when they are in their prime they will produce good offspring, when they are not, they will produce ****.

Further, Aristotle believes that it takes a mother and a father to raise a child, and the only way they will properly take care of the child is if they know it is their child. Thus, men and women remain together while raising said child, but no reason to remain together remains after that.

Thus, for Aristotle, men ought not to marry until they are 37, and they ought to marry 18 year old girls. The two ought to have children for about ten years (so, probably four or five kids), then raise the children until the children are adults (around 16, 17, 18).

According to said model, men would have about 20 years to work and build up financial security before they get married and have kids at 37, and they would be done raising the kids at the latest when they are 63 or 64, and thus done with marriage at 63 or 64.

Women would get married at 18, and they would be done raising kids, and thus done with marriage, at the latest when they are 44 or 45.

The children take care of the parents, thus men and women are basically retired at 64 and 45, respectively. Further, so long as one is no longer in the "procreation period" (37-64 for men; 18-44 for women), there is no shame or dishonor in having sex with whomever you please (so long as it is consensual). Thus, men would be free to have sex with whomever they pleased from the time they were 18 until 36 and from 65 until death; women would be free to have sex with whomever they pleased from 45 until they die.

Sounds like a pretty great system to me (so long as you discount any notions of "love marriages")

Sounds brilliant! Aristotle had interesting views on how to handle foreigners as well.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought slaves were vital to that society. Were the slaves not good for the city?

The slaves are not and cannot be good and noble, thus, there is no reason to speak of ethics and politics with regard to slaves anymore than merely mentioning that natural slaves ought to be slaves.

There are many who argue that Aristotle's arguments for what makes a natural slave are actually subtle critiques of the institution of slavery in Athens (not the only institution in Athens he critiqued, thus the reason for the persecutions of Aristotle late in his life). Aristotle argues that only natural slaves ought to be enslaved, and what it is that makes one a natural slave basically reduces to a mental illness that so severely debilitates one's rational faculty that they have barely anymore reason than a beast.

In arguing for different types of regimes, Aristotle often leaves out the existence of slavery.

Sounds brilliant! Aristotle had interesting views on how to handle foreigners as well.

Aristotle was a foreigner. I think you are speaking of barbarians; and, yes, Aristotle had some pretty interesting views on how to handle barbarians.

Seems strange that slaves were vital but not good for the city. Is Ari referring to 'good' as a judgement of character or as something beneficial?

VN Store

Back