Mandatory Minimums

Another major issue is sending a guy to jail for 20 years or more because he had a beer or a joint while on probation

I agree to a point, then again I look at it as stupidity is what sends these people to jail.

A person on probation knows what he is not allowed to do to stay out of jail. The ones that irk me are the ones driving on a revolked license. The know if they get caught driving they are going to jail. Prime example of the old saying "You can't fix stupid".

Reactions: 1 person
I agree to a point, then again I look at it as stupidity is what sends these people to jail.

A person on probation knows what he is not allowed to do to stay out of jail. The ones that irk me are the ones driving on a revolked license. The know if they get caught driving they are going to jail. Prime example of the old saying "You can't fix stupid".

I have always found it ridiculous that the state will place a person on probation and revoke their license and then expect them to pay probation costs with out being able to drive to work. Lunacy.

Reactions: 2 people

I get it with driving a bit more. But what about not being allowed to consume alcohol on probation. That's absurd o

Another major issue is sending a guy to jail for 20 years or more because he had a beer or a joint while on probation

Society functions on the idea that people follow rules. While on probation the system is giving you a chance to show them that you can follow rules thus potentially being rehabilitated and capable of functioning in society. Does chugging a beer that gets you sent back to prison suck? Sure. But you couldnt follow simple instructions so you reap what you sow. How many second chances do you want to give people? Some people will never learn. Some people will never accept responsibility for their actions. Some people will never care/understand about consequences to their actions.

I get it with driving a bit more. But what about not being allowed to consume alcohol on probation. That's absurd o

I've never heard of that.

There is a chick I work with that has failed a breathalyzer. Her terms of employment were amended to state that if she ever drank alcohol again, at work OR ate home, she would be fired. This chick is such a bad alcoholic that she has taken over 3 weeks of leave without pay because she has been too drunk to make it to work. I guess she figures a few small paychecks is better than no paycheck but hell I'd quit drinking in a minute if someone told me it was going to impact my salary.

I've never heard of that.

There is a chick I work with that has failed a breathalyzer. Her terms of employment were amended to state that if she ever drank alcohol again, at work OR ate home, she would be fired. This chick is such a bad alcoholic that she has taken over 3 weeks of leave without pay because she has been too drunk to make it to work. I guess she figures a few small paychecks is better than no paycheck but hell I'd quit drinking in a minute if someone told me it was going to impact my salary.

I'm alright with a company saying that, but not the government.

I'm alright with a company saying that, but not the government.

Well the gubmint is her employer so I don't mind them setting terms of employment like any other business. It's no different than drug testing applicants which is almost totally up to the employer.

The problem would be if the government was telling private companies things like you can't have workers drinking, smoking, etc.

Well the gubmint is her employer so I don't mind them setting terms of employment like any other business. It's no different than drug testing applicants which is almost totally up to the employer.

The problem would be if the government was telling private companies things like you can't have workers drinking, smoking, etc.

I can agree with that. But I was saying government probation shouldn't have alcohol as part of the terms.

I can agree with that. But I was saying government probation shouldn't have alcohol as part of the terms.

Ah yeah you mean for prisoners. Yeah man I totally agree with that unless the person just got out for some DUI manslaughter or something. But for the regular Joe come on..you're gonna need some booze after all that toilet hooch and buttsex.

We are 5% of the world's population but have 25% of the world's prison population. That stat is simply amazing.

The crazy thing is people don't seem to think there is anything wrong with this. They push for more laws and harsher punishments.

If you are interested in this topic, I highly recommend the HBO documentary Gideon's Army, about public defenders. They touch a lot on the mandatory minimums and how it props up a false plea bargaining system, etc.

These lawyers claim they have innocent clients take pleas for 2 years because they are too scared to risk going to court and getting 25 years for something they didn't do. There is no telling how many innocent people are in jail (while the real criminals walk free).

Reactions: 4 people
So a guy that walks into the Stop and Stab with a .38 and sticks up the place should be allowed to go right back out and procure another one? You really are a lunatic.

He should. After he has served his time he should be treated as any other citizen.

Ah yeah you mean for prisoners. Yeah man I totally agree with that unless the person just got out for some DUI manslaughter or something. But for the regular Joe come on..you're gonna need some booze after all that toilet hooch and buttsex.

I find butt sex is worse when I've been drinking. I get the ****s.

We now have American citizens and Illegal Aliens wanting to legalize and decriminalize dangerous drugs, and to release thousands of criminals from federal prisons simply because they did not commit a crime of violence, just because of the expense incurred for holding them in prison.

Yet many of the same people want to continue paying millions of dead beats who are sucking the working taxpayers dry, billions of dollars through the disability, food stamp, and section 8 housing programs.

We now have American citizens and Illegal Aliens wanting to legalize and decriminalize dangerous drugs, and to release thousands of criminals from federal prisons simply because they did not commit a crime of violence, just because of the expense incurred for holding them in prison.

Yet many of the same people want to continue paying millions of dead beats who are sucking the working taxpayers dry, billions of dollars through the disability, food stamp, and section 8 housing programs.

The 2 issues are not related at all.

I have always found it ridiculous that the state will place a person on probation and revoke their license and then expect them to pay probation costs with out being able to drive to work. Lunacy.

It is all about the money. Make payments on fine, court cost, pay probation officer. If it can be paid early one can be dropped from probation.

The crazy thing is people don't seem to think there is anything wrong with this. They push for more laws and harsher punishments.

If you are interested in this topic, I highly recommend the HBO documentary Gideon's Army, about public defenders. They touch a lot on the mandatory minimums and how it props up a false plea bargaining system, etc.

These lawyers claim they have innocent clients take pleas for 2 years because they are too scared to risk going to court and getting 25 years for something they didn't do. There is no telling how many innocent people are in jail (while the real criminals walk free).

This happens more than most people realize and not just in mandatory minimum cases. Our DAG overcharges then offers a "deal" all of the time, except to people with money. Amazingly he brags about his felony conviction rate.

This happens more than most people realize and not just in mandatory minimum cases. Our DAG overcharges then offers a "deal" all of the time, except to people with money. Amazingly he brags about his felony conviction rate.

They put conviction rates on the voter information pamphlets when it's time to choose judges. Sickening.

You realize that the terms are agreed upon, right. Probation is secondary to their primary issue. Saying our prisons are full of people because they are in possession of a joint or failed drug test is self serving to your agenda.

VN Store

Back