Malzahn

Malzahn never wanted to come here anyway .. move on ... did he get swept up any other Power 5 school .. let me answer that for ya .. NNNNOOOOOO !!

But I was told in this thread that UCF is a better job. You fan boys need to collaborate and get on the same page.

But I was told in this thread that UCF is a better job. You fan boys need to collaborate and get on the same page.
im on my own page ..fact is Pruitt beat Malzohn at Auburn .. and Malzahn settled for UCF .. afraid to take on a Power 5 job ....

I kind of already did in a previous thread on your coaching search (search my posts).

The posts I've seen in this thread post Malzahn in the shiniest light imaginable. In reality his incompetence and failure runs very deep. Did you guys know that Colby Smith, the 2021 OT that we just signed away from you guys after Pruitt was fired, is the first HS OT since 2017 or 2018 to sign with Auburn? Malzahn has absolutely decimated the OL situation at Auburn. And this is an "offensive minded" HC. Imagine that for a second.

Then I see things like: "he almost won a National Championship in 2013". That was 8 years ago, in his very first season, with Chizik's players (most notably the OL left over by Jeff Grimes who is now the OC at Baylor). Auburn also blew one of the biggest leads you'll see in "Championship Game" history in that game. The very next season Auburn was 8-5. Two years after almost winning the Championship, Auburn was 7-6 under Malzahn. How is that even possible? In reality, the Championship appearance in his very first season was a total fluke. You'll find with Malzahn that his best talent is tripping his way into "greatness", and then due to incompetence he not only can't build on any success, but he actually manages to completely tank it somehow.

Then I see: "he's beaten Saban three times!". Stuff like that means nothing once you consider how much he lost to everyone else that would be considered a "rival". And these weren't competitive games, they were blowouts. Beating Saban three times should mean that you have the capacity to compete with everyone - with Malzahn you'll find that he can somehow challenge Saban reasonably, but then subsequently he's 2-5 in Bowl games with losses to UCF and Minnesota - two teams playing with half the talent that Auburn fields, who basically dominated us. He's beaten Saban three times, but he lost to Will Muschamp this season - in year 8 he's losing to a coach at South Carolina who would go on to get fired. He also lost to Pruitt, and really, you guys were making a game out of it this year as well before Guarantano gift-wrapped us the game with that pick-6 in the redzone. Check his record against Georgia and LSU as well.

He has zero idea how to develop or utilize quarterbacks and his offense was a total novelty that has been figured out. He hasn't been able to evolve or adapt. All of the quarterbacks who had success at Auburn under him: Chris Todd, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, Jarrett Stidham were transfers who were developed elsewhere or had prior coaching by someone else in a different system. Malzahn's HS signees at the position have been complete flops with zero development - and he's recruited "highly regarded" quarterbacks. Consider this: 2020 Auburn had a 5-star QB (Nix), two NFL-caliber receivers (Seth Williams & Schwartz), an absolute freak talent at RB (Tank Bigsby) and yet it produced the season that you just witnessed. A loss to South Carolina and a 27-6 beatdown to Georgia playing with a WALK-ON QB who was like 4th string on their depth chart.
I wasn't challenging you. I sincerely wanted your perspective. Thanks for that.

I've never been a Malzahn fan. But from a long suffering UT fan... congratulations for at least having an AD that understands that you watch for direction and don't wait until a coach hits rock bottom before making a move. If UT's AD had that kind of wisdom then Jones would have been fired after his 3rd year and we probably aren't in the mess we're in. Hard for me to understand how they did not see how badly he underperformed the talent on those rosters.

I completely disagree. Heupel’s offense is much better than Gus. Malzahn has been a good coach but Idk that he’s a better fit than Heupel.

Calling it now, Malzahn’s offense will crush it in the American Athletic Conference in the same way Frost and Huepel did.

8 years in the SEC west, .670 winning % in the toughest division in toughest conference in all of college football, makes him a decidedly better hire than Huepel. But again, I think Huepel is much better than Pruitt. I’m not dissing Huepel here, I’m just saying if it were my team and program, I would more prefer Malzahn than Huepel.

Why??? GM was a 7 win coach and JP beat him on his home field. GM is overrated! Auburn didn’t want him so why would we?

Ok Fulmer. Look at Malzahans record. And what does JO beating him at his own field have to do with anything? Malzahan would have been as close to a home run hire as we could have hoped for.

Reactions: VolFlAlum and Jaws
Why was he fired?
Auburn fan here said it was because his O stopped fooling anyone, his recruiting wasn't filling needs, and he only won with someone else's talent... to include his successful QB's who transferred in. I don't think they thought he was great at developing players and were frustrated that while he did beat Bama... he made a habit of losing to other good opponents and too often to teams with less talent.|

Pretty much the resume of the guy UT does NOT need.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Ok Fulmer. Look at Malzahans record. And what does JO beating him at his own field have to do with anything? Malzahan would have been as close to a home run hire as we could have hoped for.
Very glad that neither you nor Fulmer were responsible for making this hire then.

Again, I think the risk reward was a lot more intelligent than you and others. To hire Malzahn you would have had to guarantee a much higher term and pay him at least $6-7 million per year since that's where he would think his value was if an SEC school offered him. So if he failed to win and ran the roster down hill as Auburn fans seemed to think he was doing there... UT would have been stuck with him.

Heupel may fail. But he will cost UT half the money and will be easier to separate after the NCAA stuff is cleared if he isn't improving the program.

If you are White and believe there's a good chance that whoever you hire will not survive much past the NCAA penalties... you don't want to pay a premium. And who knows? Heupel might just surprise people. White knows he can coach offense and apparently assured that he hire a DC that gives him a better chance of winning.

IMHO, both are acting smarter than many of you are giving them credit for.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I think he was clearly at the top of the retread list, but wanted to avoid that path and perception. Hiring a squeaky clean up and comer was needed to help with the NCAA issues we are about to face. Not sure if there was consideration given to the widely held position by opposing fan bases about the AU cabin in the woods or not. It is possible with risk aversion a high priority.
Wait - so now we not only could not have hired a coach who is free of restrictions from the NCAA and has had no infractions in over three years, we could not have hired any coach who has any semblance of a track record of success? Exactly what would the NCAA have been able to find fault with about Malzahn being hired here? I have seen some mindless posts on here but this takes the cake.

Something comes to mind involving kettles and pots. A fan boy is a fan boy no matter who they are a fan of.

I’m no particular fan of Malzahn’s, so you may want to get your facts straight before you start yakking.

Fulmer must've been playing chess when he hired Steele to bar Malzahn from Tennessee.

Actually... I believe Fulmer was, again, asked to step down but had fully intended to roll with his buddy Steele as Interim.

VN Store

Back