Malzahn

I really don't understand the infatuation with Malzahn without regard to Heupel or whether he was a good hire or not. Malzahn's ceiling is pretty much established. So the strategy would have been what? Hope that he could get UT back to 2nd tier then just live with it or then fire him?

I'm not saying Malzahn is a bad coach. I'm not saying getting to 2nd tier wouldn't be an improvement right now. I'm just questioning the wisdom of paying him what he would demand knowing where his ceiling is.
Dude, we likely could have gotten him cheap as his buyout from Auburn was astronomical and guaranteed. Ceiling? He won the SEC and played in the BCS championship gaming losing by 3. Are you fugging kidding me?
Improvement? Holy **** yes it would be an improvement. Not to mention he did this while being in the same division with the most dominant program in modern history.

Holy freaking shat, wtf is wrong with you people???! Do you realize the state of things at UT?

UCF is freaking high-fiving that White and Heupel are gone. They just hit the lottery and we paid for the ticket.

I'm on board with the JH hire but I feel like UFC is getting the goldmine with GM hire and we got the shaft.

He's a good fit for UCF. They already have the players he needs for his style of Offense. Sad part is well have to listen to the Heupel/Malzahn comparison for years to come... He'll prb win 9-10 games ;there year 1 and the same people that say UT and UCF arent' apples to apples will say see see see...

He's a good fit for UCF. They already have the players he needs for his style of Offense. Sad part is well have to listen to the Heupel/Malzahn comparison for years to come... He'll prb win 9-10 games ;there year 1 and the same people that say UT and UCF arent' apples to apples will say see see see...

And the same ones that say they are apple to apples will say they aren't.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Dude, we likely could have gotten him cheap as his buyout from Auburn was astronomical and guaranteed. Ceiling? He won the SEC and played in the BCS championship gaming losing by 3. Are you fugging kidding me?
Improvement? Holy **** yes it would be an improvement. Not to mention he did this while being in the same division with the most dominant program in modern history.

Holy freaking shat, wtf is wrong with you people???! Do you realize the state of things at UT?

UCF is freaking high-fiving that White and Heupel are gone. They just hit the lottery and we paid for the ticket.

This 100%

Gus wasn't coming here.
He will do great at UCF and either become a lifer or move on to another P5 school.
who knows?
I think we will be fine long term if we let Danny White manage this AD as he has done. All sports prosper and the athletic department gets healthy again.
I am finally looking forward to watching us be the Game of the Week for the first time since Dobbs graduated.

I haven't been against the Heupel hire at all, under the circumstances I figured it was probably the best we could do. If Malzahn takes the UCF job though I'm really going to question that assumption, unless we kicked the tires and Gus told us no. Where else would we find a coach that beat Saban 3 times? Not to mention that would have likely locked up Big Kat, Dylan Brooks, Cody Brown and others.

UCF offers head football coaching job to Gus Malzahn
UCF is a better job than TN. No pressure, recruit your own state, nice weather, national championship every year, etc.

UCF is a better job than TN. No pressure, recruit your own state, nice weather, national championship every year, etc.
76y8.gif

Reactions: OllVol and Lurker
I’ve said Huepel was a decidedly better hire than Pruitt, Malzahn would have been a slightly better hire than Huepel. Going from Pruitt to Heupel was an upgrade, going from Pruitt to Malzahn would have been a huge upgrade.
I completely disagree. Heupel’s offense is much better than Gus. Malzahn has been a good coach but Idk that he’s a better fit than Heupel.

Reactions: 9876543vol
So JH is a moron?
I think it's a better job for Malzahn. He has made his money. Stress level would be less compared to being at Auburn. UCF has a system in place he is familiar with. He knows the AD. It's a good fit for him. I don't seeing him wanting to come to TN to do a ground up rebiuld with all the stressors involved. On the other hand, Heupel.. If he can create stability and is remotely successful, he will be widely sought after.

Last edited:
I think it's a better job for Malzahn. He has made his money. Stress level would be less compared to being at Auburn. UCF has a system in place he is familiar with. He knows the AD. It's a good fit for him. I don't seeing him wanting to come to TN to do a ground up rebiuld with all the stressors involved. On the other hand, Heupel.. If he can create stability and is remotely successful, he will be widely soft after.

Freudian?

Reactions: alvinkamara
If he can create stability and is remotely successful, he will be widely soft after.
I was "widely soft after" I sat on my azz for a solid year eating fast food and drinkin beer

Reactions: Doberman

The reality that Tennessee fans cannot see through their big orange glasses is that the Tennessee job has become a coaching grave yard while Alabama is the launching pad. Tennessee is where coaching careers die.

And they have no chance in making the playoffs unless they go undefeated for 5 years in a row and then they still most likely won’t get in. They will most likely keep going to 2nd and 3rd tier bowl games considering the conference they are in.

Which is much better than UT can expect for the near future

I really don't understand the infatuation with Malzahn without regard to Heupel or whether he was a good hire or not. Malzahn's ceiling is pretty much established. So the strategy would have been what? Hope that he could get UT back to 2nd tier then just live with it or then fire him?

I'm not saying Malzahn is a bad coach. I'm not saying getting to 2nd tier wouldn't be an improvement right now. I'm just questioning the wisdom of paying him what he would demand knowing where his ceiling is.

I think Malzahn would have offered a stabilizing influence being a known commodity. Wasn't in my top 5 but it would have made sense.

Could have made things competitive with FL and GA at least and set the table for the next guy.

As it stands, Heupel looks more like a panic hire by White after getting shot down a few times.

And UCF looks like they may have upgraded their situation.

That will be the perception anyway. It's up to Heupel to change that on the field this Fall.

VN Store

Back