Malzahn

unfrozencvmanvol

Nico came, he saw, he conquered.
I haven't been against the Heupel hire at all, under the circumstances I figured it was probably the best we could do. If Malzahn takes the UCF job though I'm really going to question that assumption, unless we kicked the tires and Gus told us no. Where else would we find a coach that beat Saban 3 times? Not to mention that would have likely locked up Big Kat, Dylan Brooks, Cody Brown and others.

UCF offers head football coaching job to Gus Malzahn

They have no sanctions coming down on them.
And they have no chance in making the playoffs unless they go undefeated for 5 years in a row and then they still most likely won’t get in. They will most likely keep going to 2nd and 3rd tier bowl games considering the conference they are in.

I haven't been against the Heupel hire at all, under the circumstances I figured it was probably the best we could do. If Malzahn takes the UCF job though I'm really going to question that assumption, unless we kicked the tires and Gus told us no. Where else would we find a coach that beat Saban 3 times? Not to mention that would have likely locked up Big Kat, Dylan Brooks, Cody Brown and others.

I think he was clearly at the top of the retread list, but wanted to avoid that path and perception. Hiring a squeaky clean up and comer was needed to help with the NCAA issues we are about to face. Not sure if there was consideration given to the widely held position by opposing fan bases about the AU cabin in the woods or not. It is possible with risk aversion a high priority.

Seems hat was all on Fulmer. He wasn't planning on being asked to step down, and Steele would have been made head coach, or at least interim head coach for next season.

Yep, It seems reasonable as the investigation continued to stack up infractions against Pruitt and the breakpoint between limping through next season with him and forced removal was growing closer, Boyd and Plowman directed CPF to get an emergency backup on staff. I doubt he put this deal together without their input. When they reached the point they could announce the decision as early as they did, they decided to go for the new coach route and at that point they all bought in to the new AD plan as well. Running the internal investigation to ground and getting some kind of nod from the NCAA was the variable they could not control. We shall see down the road if taking this extra time was beneficial or not. If both the internal and NCAA investigations determine that the infractions were masked from reasonable normal oversight by and limited to those already identified and removed, we may avoid punishment historically supported with over 50 violations and treated more as groups of different types of infractions. The speed of reaction to the triggering evidence provided to employees outside the guilty group will probably also be a factor. I hope we get enough detail, even if redacted, to be able to support the assumptions made when the story finally breaks. There will for sure be a wide array of assumptions out there day one.

I'm interested in seeing what Heupel can bring to Tennessee football and (obviously) he's done nothing to garner either my unwavering support or complete ire in the last three weeks, but given that Tennessee needs stability now more than anything it'll be more than a little disappointing if the walking embodiment of stability winds up at UCF instead of roaming the sidelines in Knoxville. Malzahn would have been both safe and exciting, so I'd be pretty displeased with Danny White for bringing in "his" guy instead since his potential upside is balanced perfectly by the odds of him being mediocre at best.

Yep, It seems reasonable as the investigation continued to stack up infractions against Pruitt and the breakpoint between limping through next season with him and forced removal was growing closer, Boyd and Plowman directed CPF to get an emergency backup on staff. I doubt he put this deal together without their input. When they reached the point they could announce the decision as early as they did, they decided to go for the new coach route and at that point they all bought in to the new AD plan as well. Running the internal investigation to ground and getting some kind of nod from the NCAA was the variable they could not control. We shall see down the road if taking this extra time was beneficial or not. If both the internal and NCAA investigations determine that the infractions were masked from reasonable normal oversight by and limited to those already identified and removed, we may avoid punishment historically supported with over 50 violations and treated more as groups of different types of infractions. The speed of reaction to the triggering evidence provided to employees outside the guilty group will probably also be a factor. I hope we get enough detail, even if redacted, to be able to support the assumptions made when the story finally breaks. There will for sure be a wide array of assumptions out there day one.
I think the fact that we had to fire so many people in the compliance office indicates we are going to be hit with loss of institutional control. The compliance office is supposed to be the firewall.

Gus's Achilles heel has been player development, particular at the QB position. Which is a problem. It's an open question whether Heupel will work out here or not, but I think Heupel is a better hire than Gus would've been.

Pruitt absolutely PWND Gus in the 2018 game. He was over on the sidelines calling out Gus's plays for the D. And we've seen time and time again, Gus's offenses have been stagnant against top teams for much of the past half-decade.

I think Malzahn is a good coach overall, but has a lot of weaknesses that'll prevent him from ever being great. And I think he'd make a first-rate broadcaster, more so than a first-rate coach.

I also think Gus would've been fired years earlier if not for Steele. Steele's defenses were carrying him during the latter part of his time at Auburn.

If I had to guess how Malzahn will do at UCF, I think he'll have a quick Year 1 turnaround and see diminishing returns over time.

So you're gonna question why Tennessee didn't hire a re-tread that no other Power 5 school wanted because he took the job that our coach just left to come to Knoxville?

Tennessee fans really are the best.

Gus's Achilles heel has been player development, particular at the QB position. Which is a problem. It's an open question whether Heupel will work out here or not, but I think Heupel is a better hire than Gus would've been.

Pruitt absolutely PWND Gus in the 2018 game. He was over on the sidelines calling out Gus's plays for the D. And we've seen time and time again, Gus's offenses have been stagnant against top teams for much of the past half-decade.

I think Malzahn is a good coach overall, but has a lot of weaknesses that'll prevent him from ever being great. And I think he'd make a first-rate broadcaster, more so than a first-rate coach.

I also think Gus would've been fired years earlier if not for Steele. Steele's defenses were carrying him during the latter part of his time at Auburn.

If I had to guess how Malzahn will do at UCF, I think he'll have a quick Year 1 turnaround and see diminishing returns over time.
I was all in on Gus at first too, but the more I thought about it, there seems to be a lot of Butch Jones to him. Both seem tied to one set system without much room for improv depending on players. Both have tried to stick Pro style QB into their system when it's clear and obvious dual threat are the best options in them. I think Gus would have been a safe and effective hire but likely tied to the 7-5 or 8-4 range. We could've done worse, but I actually think Heupel may have a higher ceiling due to the successes of his O year over year. It's all about that in today's game.

So you're gonna question why Tennessee didn't hire a re-tread that no other Power 5 school wanted because he took the job that our coach just left to come to Knoxville?

Tennessee fans really are the best.
No, I'm just sorry we didn't get a guy who has beaten Saban 3 times, played for a national championship, won an SEC championship, coached his team to multiple NY6 bowls, AND who I am on record wanting back when everyone else was wanting Freeze.

I’ve said Huepel was a decidedly better hire than Pruitt, Malzahn would have been a slightly better hire than Huepel. Going from Pruitt to Heupel was an upgrade, going from Pruitt to Malzahn would have been a huge upgrade.

I was all in on Gus at first too, but the more I thought about it, there seems to be a lot of Butch Jones to him. Both seem tied to one set system without much room for improv depending on players. Both have tried to stick Pro style QB into their system when it's clear and obvious dual threat are the best options in them. I think Gus would have been a safe and effective hire but likely tied to the 7-5 or 8-4 range. We could've done worse, but I actually think Heupel may have a higher ceiling due to the successes of his O year over year. It's all about that in today's game.

The one thing you can say about Malzahn is that he's an honorable person. I've never heard anything but good things about him from players, coaches, etc. Can't say the same about Butch.

But you're right on the offense ... Malzahn's short-comings were similar to Butch's. Give Malzahn a naturally athletically gifted QB who can improvise and he can win, but give him a good QB with high potential who needs some development, and you never see much improvement. Very similar short-comings on player development, both with QB and O-line.

Essentially, Harrison Bailey is probably the biggest winner of us hiring Heupel vs Malzahn.

And they have no chance in making the playoffs unless they go undefeated for 5 years in a row and then they still most likely won’t get in. They will most likely keep going to 2nd and 3rd tier bowl games considering the conference they are in.
Like the Fiesta, Peach, and Fiesta NY6 bowls they have been to in the past 7 years............:)

VN Store

Back