Making a Murderer (w/ Spoilers)

This was the correct decision. The way he was treated by his first lawyer and his investigator was deplorable

Here is the entire ruling if anyone is interested. I don't see how he can be retried given that his "confessions" are now useless. I assume they'll appeal this ruling, because otherwise they have no chance to get a new conviction.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3011723-Dassey-Decision.html

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't this be the basis for getting Steve Avery's conviction overturned, or at least a new trial? Much of what was used against him came from Brendan's "confession".

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't this be the basis for getting Steve Avery's conviction overturned, or at least a new trial? Much of what was used against him came from Brendan's "confession".

No. Dassey's confession was not used against Avery. If you'll recall, the State operated under 2 different theories of the crime: in Avery's trial he acted alone; in Dassey's trial there were two killers.

No. Dassey's confession was not used against Avery. If you'll recall, the State operated under 2 different theories of the crime: in Avery's trial he acted alone; in Dassey's trial there were two killers.

Thanks for the refresher. The whole thing still pisses me off. It's a tour de force of law enforcement ineptness and crooked politics.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the refresher. The whole thing still pisses me off. It's a tour de force of law enforcement ineptness and crooked politics.

That was something, I believe, Avery's attorney was unhappy about. Before the trial the prosecution held press conferences going into gory detail what they "alleged" Avery and Dassey did. It was on tv, newspapers, ect. Contributed in turning the public opinion against Avery. Then when the prosecution didn't use Dassey in the trial the defense didn't have an opportunity to refute any of the smear campaign the defense put out in public.

Dasseys attorney reminded me exactly of William H Macy's character on Fargo. Oh gosh gee willikers this is a heckuva case dontcha know. We should probably plead since yer guilty n all. Who knows how many people are sitting in jail due to incompetent public defenders.

Dasseys attorney reminded me exactly of William H Macy's character on Fargo. Oh gosh gee willikers this is a heckuva case dontcha know. We should probably plead since yer guilty n all. Who knows how many people are sitting in jail due to incompetent public defenders.

That guy is a judge now.

One of the most interesting lines from the ruling I linked:

"In the first few days after being assigned the case, Kachinsky spent an hour talking to his client and 10 hours talking to the media."

Reactions: 2 people
That guy is a judge now.

One of the most interesting lines from the ruling I linked:

"In the first few days after being assigned the case, Kachinsky spent an hour talking to his client and 10 hours talking to the media."

Oh you could tell he was loving the attention. He had zero intention of ever defending that kid. He was just going to treat him like any other indigent with a misdemeanor charge. You're guilty so let's broker a deal and go home.

The current Wisconsin AG held a press conference today and said that the State is weighing its options on whether to proceed and how to do so. He also said that he has been in touch with the Halbach family to get their input on how to move forward.

I often wonder how the Haibach family feels about all this. Are they upset to have all this dug up again, or interested in determining a truth. Do they have any doubts Avery killed her, or are they still convinced now like they were then?

I can't imagine how I'd feel in such a situation.

I often wonder how the Haibach family feels about all this. Are they upset to have all this dug up again, or interested in determining a truth. Do they have any doubts Avery killed her, or are they still convinced now like they were then?

I can't imagine how I'd feel in such a situation.

There were several things that bugged me about the TV documentary. But the one thing that really disgusted me was the negative way they portrayed Halbach's brother. As if anyone would behave differently in his position.

There were several things that bugged me about the TV documentary. But the one thing that really disgusted me was the negative way they portrayed Halbach's brother. As if anyone would behave differently in his position.

I had a problem with this as well; was low brow and unnecessary.

I would hope all of us would behave differently. A conviction means nothing if it ain't the right persons. I feel for him and i don't know what it's like to be in his shoes but there is a lesson to be learned here.

I would hope all of us would behave differently. A conviction means nothing if it ain't the right persons. I feel for him and i don't know what it's like to be in his shoes but there is a lesson to be learned here.

While you're correct, you have to keep in mind that all he knew was that the kid confessed. He didn't have the benefit of seeing what we've seen. It will be interesting to find out how the Halbachs respond to this latest ruling.

So he'll finally get to watch Monday Night Raw again sometime soon?

VN Store

Back