Mac McClung

McClung was the leading scorer on a team this year that was on many occasions ranked higher this year than UT. I’m not sure what the current rankings are. That sums it up throughly that he would of made UT a better team this year.

Defense led the way for both teams and the offense wasn't very good in either case. If we're trading Bailey for him, it's a wash. If we're trading anybody else for him, there will be defensive and/or ball movement consequences.

Defense led the way for both teams and the offense wasn't very good in either case. If we're trading Bailey for him, it's a wash. If we're trading anybody else for him, there will be defensive and/or ball movement consequences.
Cmon. Nobody outside of Knoxville that follows college basketball would believe that for a second

Cmon. Nobody outside of Knoxville that follows college basketball would believe that for a second

My whole thing is the basketball community overrates top scorers who aren't efficient and and don't bring much else to the table. You're basically saying to me that most disagree with me about McClung vs. Bailey, which is something I readily acknowledge. Those people are overrating flashy but inefficient scoring

My whole thing is the basketball community overrates top scorers who aren't efficient and and don't bring much else to the table. You're basically saying to me that most disagree with me about McClung vs. Bailey, which is something I readily acknowledge. Those people are overrating flashy but inefficient scoring
I agree people do. Mac himself is probably slightly overrated nationally. But he's better than Bailey. Just this last year he put up more points on better shooting (overall and from 3) in a tougher conference with more defensive attention focused on him

Reactions: b_gann
Okay, did I miss something? Is McClung in the portal? If so, are we still in play with Powell's commit?

Okay, did I miss something? Is McClung in the portal? If so, are we still in play with Powell's commit?
McClung is not in the portal but his coach just left for Texas. Everyone is posting hypothetical’s. McClung already has one no-wait transfer. If he goes anywhere now I assume he would sit out a year.

Reactions: CAVPUT
I agree people do. Mac himself is probably slightly overrated nationally. But he's better than Bailey. Just this last year he put up more points on better shooting (overall and from 3) in a tougher conference with more defensive attention focused on him

Baily had slightly better shooting efficiency (TS%), he's a better rebounder, and has a better defensive body

He wouldn't have though? You're missing the point. McClung wasn't some consistent scorer who shot well. He has 13 games of shooting 38% or worse and 16 games of shooting 42% or better. That's extremely inconsistent. Just like the rest of UT's roster this past season.
20 of 29 games in double figures with 10 games at 20 points plus. Who at UT matched those totals this year? Compare UT’s top scorer with those stats.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
20 of 29 games in double figures with 10 games at 20 points plus. Who at UT matched those totals this year? Compare UT’s top scorer with those stats.
You seem to be missing that he took more shots than anyone at UT also...James Daniel went from 22ppg to 6ppg when he came to Tennessee, his FGA dropped down by 75% as well.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
He wouldn't have though? You're missing the point. McClung wasn't some consistent scorer who shot well. He has 13 games of shooting 38% or worse and 16 games of shooting 42% or better. That's extremely inconsistent. Just like the rest of UT's roster this past season.

McClung averaged 17 ppg vs the Big 12, was the conference newcomer of the year and named first team All Big 12 team. I'll say again, it's crazy to think he wouldn't have provided a massive lift in scoring on a team that had no true scoring threats in multiple games. He would have been a better player than probably 75 percent of the roster. He was named to an All-Conference team in two good basketball leagues in his career to date. He was excellent at producing points, even when he was missing shots he was very often getting to the free throw line. He had 3 really terrible shooting games all year, two of them were in wins vs Abilene Christian and A&M Corpus Christi. He also went 0-7 vs Oklahoma. Take away the 3-25 he shot against those three teams (two virtually meaningless games) and his FG percentage is close to 45 percent on the season.

Vs P5 opponents who made the NCAA T he scored 30/17 vs West Virginia, 21/11 vs Kansas, 22/16/7 vs Texas, 24/7 vs Baylor, 21/17 vs Ok St, 16/6 vs Oklahoma, 22 vs LSU, 9 vs Arkansas, he also scored 16 vs Houston and 16 vs Utah State as two non P5 teams than made the NCAAT. He averaged 15.6ppg vs teams that made the Final 4.

Reactions: white65 and VOLED
You seem to be missing that he took more shots than anyone at UT also...James Daniel went from 22ppg to 6ppg when he came to Tennessee, his FGA dropped down by 75% as well.
So what? He is still scoring the points and points are ultimately what wins or loses games. You don’t determine the winner on which team was most efficient or had the best A/TO margin or any other category. You determine the winner by points scored. You post stated he was not a consistent scorer and I just proved your statement is BS.

So what? He is still scoring the points and points are ultimately what wins or loses games. You don’t determine the winner on which team was most efficient or had the best A/TO margin or any other category. You determine the winner by points scored.’
So by your definition Kevin Punter is the best Vol since Allan Houston, right?

It's the same point over and over like we don't get that he scores some points.

There aren't very many "scorers" that couldn't do 15 off 12 shots and 5 FT's. I would say we have a few guys who could do that

So by your definition Kevin Punter is the best Vol since Allan Houston, right?
IDK who Kevin Punter is. The start of this recent debate is you stated McClung does not score consistently as one of the reasons he would not have helped UT. That statement is false. McClung needs to improve his game for sure but he must definitely would have made UT a better team this year. More depth and more scoring period.

So what? He is still scoring the points and points are ultimately what wins or loses games. You don’t determine the winner on which team was most efficient or had the best A/TO margin or any other category. You determine the winner by points scored. You post stated he was not a consistent scorer and I just proved your statement is BS.

Team points win games. If you take a shot it means somebody else didn't take it. You would understand the argument if he was scoring 15 off 25 shots, but it's the same argument in principle when it's 15 off 12 shots and 5 ft's. Hypothetically, if he's scoring 1.1 point per shot and our team averages 1.1 pps, how much would he be helping?

Team points win games. If you take a shot it means somebody else didn't take it. You would understand the argument if he was scoring 15 off 25 shots, but it's the same argument in principle when it's 15 off 12 shots and 5 ft's. Hypothetically, if he's scoring 1.1 point per shot and our team averages 1.1 pps, how much would he be helping?
Those and other stats are a consideration but ultimately take a back seat to points scored. Plus McClung was the primary focus of each opponents defense. I doubt any one UT player received as much defensive focus as McClung did this year. McClung needs to play more No. 1 for continued success. He has the athleticism and BB IQ to be a major factor long term at that position. I hope his next coach gives him that opportunity because he hasn’t been given that opportunity very much so far. He can take people off the dribble and find open people or score or go to the line all day long as a No. 1.

IDK who Kevin Punter is. The start of this recent debate is you stated McClung does not score consistently as one of the reasons he would not have helped UT. That statement is false. McClung needs to improve his game for sure but he must definitely would have made UT a better team this year. More depth and more scoring period.

Lol what?

How long have you been watching Tennessee hoops?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Doesn’t know who Kevin Punter is but thinks Barnes’ should take his advice and try and get Mac McClung. Okay, yeah that lines up.
No doubt he would be an asset and improve the team but as I stated previously he needs to improve his all-around game. He is a 3 year double digit scorer at the D1 level. To claim he would not be an asset would prove a persons ignorance about basketball.

VN Store

Back