Mac McClung

Can’t believe some people on here did not want him. I guarantee you he would have won Tennessee 2-3 more games this year. The games when literally nobody on the team could get a basket, he would’ve . Mcclung is a baller .
In TTU’s last 3 losses McClung averaged 7ppg on 35%fg shooting, why didn’t he win them those games?

Reactions: tbwhhs
My position on McClung (which I'm sure all of you are waiting with bated breath to hear):

He's a volume shooter who wouldn't have fit particularly well into the type of system Rick Barnes runs. That's not an indictment on Barnes' system, nor is it a ton of praise for McClung. He shoots a ton of shots, and that's one reason he scores as much as he does. He's not efficient, though.

He averaged over 12 FG attempts a game the last 2 seasons, including averaging almost 3 more FG attempts a game than TTU's 2nd-leading scorer, who had better overall shooting %s across the board than McClung.

McClung simply would not have averaged 12 FG attempts a game here. Not with guys like Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, and Keon already on the roster. He would've scored, but he still wouldn't have been efficient, and his per game numbers would've reflected that.

Not to mention he had almost as many games shooting below 40% from the floor (13) as games shooting 42% or better (16) this season. How is that any better than a lot of players on UT's roster this season?

If he averaged let's say 9 or 10 FGA a game at UT, his scoring average would've been around 10-12 PPG, not much different than Springer or Keon. And you'd have to factor in that he'd be taking away shots from them and others, so their PPG would've gone down, too.

Overall, McClung might've been a SLIGHT net positive for UT this season, but I don't see him adding more than 2 or 3 wins to this team. Wouldn't have made a huge difference in March, IMO. In postseason play (Big 12 Tournament and NCAAT), McClung averaged 10.7 points and shot 36.7% from the floor. He did make 44% of his threes, but he only attempted 9 total in those 3 games.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Can’t believe some people on here did not want him. I guarantee you he would have won Tennessee 2-3 more games this year. The games when literally nobody on the team could get a basket, he would’ve . Mcclung is a baller .

We didn’t need a player at that position. We had already taken Victor Bailey the year before. It really wasn’t that difficult why we didn’t pursue him.

When you’ve got a guy just like him already who shoots 83% from the line and don’t really have a need? Yea probably.
So have two guys like that doesn’t help the team and there is not a need? That’s some seriously flawed logic on your part. That’s like saying your team has Larry Bird who scores and rebounds so you don’t need Kevin Mchale. Jordan/Pippin is another example.

Reactions: VOLED
So have two guys like that doesn’t help the team and there is not a need? That’s some seriously flawed logic on your part. That’s like saying your team has Larry Bird who scores and rebounds so you don’t need Kevin Mchale. Jordan/Pippin is another example.

So McClung is like Jordan?! Lol ok.

He’s a volume shooter, not elite level player...as I’ve said if we didn’t have Bailey then sure, but we did, very similar players.

So McClung is like Jordan?! Lol ok.

He’s a volume shooter, not elite level player...as I’ve said if we didn’t have Bailey then sure, but we did, very similar players.
Where did I state he was like Jordan? He would complement the player you were referring to already at Tn. like the examples I mentioned. Your logic is flawed. BTW, Bird and Jordan were both volume shooters as most high scoring NBA players. Again your logic fails.

McClung is not elite. Does it take an elite player to better a team especially one that is lacking scoring punch? Of course not!

Last edited:
Where did I state he was like Jordan? He would complement the player you were referring to already at Tn. like the examples I mentioned. Your logic is flawed. BTW, Bird and Jordan were both volume shooters as most high scoring NBA players. Again your logic fails.

McClung is not elite. Does it take an elite player to better a team especially one that is lacking scoring punch? Of course not!

McClung wouldn’t have filled a need on last years team, that squad needed a PG and productive post...we already had a volume streaky shooter, thanks anyway.

McClung wouldn’t have filled a need on last years team, that squad needed a PG and productive post...we already had a volume streaky shooter, thanks anyway.

The team needed points. McClung had a lot better chance of providing a scoring punch on a given night than most of the roster. Saying this team didn't need someone who could score regardless of position, is crazy talk.

The team needed points. McClung had a lot better chance of providing a scoring punch on a given night than most of the roster. Saying this team didn't need someone who could score regardless of position, is crazy talk.
He wouldn't have though? You're missing the point. McClung wasn't some consistent scorer who shot well. He has 13 games of shooting 38% or worse and 16 games of shooting 42% or better. That's extremely inconsistent. Just like the rest of UT's roster this past season.

Reactions: n_huffhines
How many players were in UT’s rotation? How do you know that McClung wouldn’t have been the starter or a solid contributor in the rotation? He has started every year (Fr, Soph and JR). How do you know that he would not have played both the 1 and 2 under Barnes. The number 1 is going to be his role if he plays pro ball because he is too small for the 2 position. That’s what the NBA scouts told him about a year ago when he tested the draft for a couple of months.

How many players were in UT’s rotation? How do you know that McClung wouldn’t have been the starter or a solid contributor in the rotation? He has started every year (Fr, Soph and JR). How do you know that he would not have played both the 1 and 2 under Barnes. The number 1 is going to be his role if he plays pro ball because he is too small for the 2 position. That’s what the NBA scouts told him about a year ago when he tested the draft for a couple of months.
Well then he sucks as a 1 if that's what he's trying to be lol he's a ball hog and barely gets any assists. Not a great assist/TO ratio either

Well then he sucks as a 1 if that's what he's trying to be lol he's a ball hog and barely gets any assists. Not a great assist/TO ratio either
He can take people of the dribble and pass well , he has just not been used in that role much. He has been told that by the NBA and if he and his next coach are smart they should feature him more in that role next year. He is just too small for the number 2 in today’s game. Listed at 6’2 but I bet he is about 6’1.

I think the team could have used a player with his mentality that “wants the ball” with game on line but I don’t think his overall style and skill set would have fit well with the roster which is why we didn’t push hard. Him and Springer would have clashed with each other and I’d take Springer taking those minutes. I could see a guy like Mac fitting next yrs team with Chandler and Powell more as we could be running a lot more and freeing up space.

But Pippen and McHale defended and rebounded and Pippen was a good passer while McHale was a very efficient scorer. You need those redundancies. A redundancy of inefficient scorers is not very helpful.

Last edited:
But Pippen and McHale defended and rebounded and Pippen was a good passer while McHale was a very efficient scorer. You need those redundancies. A redundancy of inefficient scorers is not very helpful.
So your saying McClung and his counterpart at UT bring only scoring intangibles to the team and nothing else.

Rephrase- “Scoring options only”.

Bailey = McClung + 2" and better rebounding, and if we need guys like this to score, we're probably in big trouble.

If McClung is on my team I want him for instant bench offense but that's not how anybody uses him.

Bailey = McClung + 2" and better rebounding, and if we need guys like this to score, we're probably in big trouble.

If McClung is on my team I want him for instant bench offense but that's not how anybody uses him.
McClung was the leading scorer on a team this year that was on many occasions ranked higher this year than UT. I’m not sure what the current rankings are. That sums it up throughly that he would of made UT a better team this year.

VN Store

Back