Mac McClung

I for one, am puzzled that Beard will take a player that has the lack of defense that Mac does. But good luck to the kid in the Big12.

I think Bruce would've had that guy doing awesome stuff

I've seen the kid play in person multiple times. I live in Georgetown. He's a solid player, but he plays zero defense and the level of competition he played against this year wasn't anything special. I like his potential, but I don't think he is ALL-SEC or anything of that sort.

BP usually has 5 or 6 shooting 3's and if one is off he sits and if he's hot he's fed. Auburn has had a lot of trendy shooters and have been pretty successful with that formula. It's not a recipe for winning a deep tournament although they did win SECT recently.

I totally understand that. Just saying if Matt is going to hit 6 3’s on Tennessee....he’s going to be “shooting” 19 3’s.

I’m kind of kidding. Going by his %’s.....it would be that; however we know shooters can get hot and I have no way of knowing what he would do.

Kid is lighting it up against Kansas.
Still disappointed he wasn’t recruited here. Kid is instant offense.

Reactions: hep
McClung is super handsy and has one foul, yet Kansas is getting called for ticky-tack garbage left and right. He's still very good, obviously, but now he's just jacking up every shot without much consideration and they're not falling at quite the clip they were earlier.

I'd feel badly about this home cooking if it weren't for, you know, the Allen Fieldhouse "advantage" existing every year.

Reactions: pimo1
The kid can score

However when you shoot as much as he does......I would hope anyone could score.

He doesn’t play great D

He would be a terrible fit at Tennessee. Tennessee looks for D first, and Tennessee is “usually” best when their unselfish and play great D.

This kid scores, shoots a freakin ton, and is lack luster (against good teams) on D.

Reminds me of a kid who I went to school with. Refused to play defense. Said he didn’t need to play defense when he could out score anyone.

I'm good with the team we have. why folks always looking in the next guy's yard instead of taking care of their own lawns?
He’s from just over the state line outside of Kingsport. You don’t like, don’t click on the thread.

He’s from just over the state line outside of Kingsport. You don’t like, don’t click on the thread.
He is not a good fit for UT, I don't care where he's from. He's not beating Bailey, Springer, Keon and Vescovi out for many minutes if he was here, plus Barnes won't play u much, if u don't play really good defense. I think he plays a little bit of defense or TTU would't play him a lot. Still, I'm happy with what UT has and he seems to be doing well at Tech, so it worked out for everybody

Last edited:
Reminds me of a kid who I went to school with. Refused to play defense. Said he didn’t need to play defense when he could out score anyone.
McClung is not like that. He is a little guy(6’1) and I believe that works to his disadvantage guarding taller #2’s. He is getting better at defense and actually is pretty good at anticipating and making steals off the ball. His biggest asset is he is coachable and if he has weaknesses he will get better. His 2 years at Georgetown was a waste. Bad team chemistry and off court issues resulting in several players dismissed and to be honest Ewing does not impress me at all as a HC. I watched a lot of Georgetown games the last two years.

Reactions: BreatheUT
McClung shot 5 of 16 overall and 2 for 8 from 3 against Kansas.31% shooting. Not exactly a stellar stat line especially for a guy that doesn’t defend or rebound. I think I am good with who we got.
Interesting. I had heard he was "lighting it up against Kansas".

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back