Mac McClung

31% from 3, takes more shots than anyone on our team, and has a worse a:to ratio than any of our guards other than Keon...I’m not dogging him as a player at all, but I don’t see him being a good fit on this roster.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Would trade him for vescovi

No, thanks. Look at these stats below for reference. So many people just look at the total number of points scored and that’s it.

He was chucking shot after shot last night, so of course a few fell in. He is the Russell Westbrook of college ball. He’s going to hog the ball, shoot a bunch of shots, have a low FG%, and play zero defense.

I would not trade him for any of the guards on our team.

McClung shot 5 of 16 overall and 2 for 8 from 3 against Kansas.31% shooting. Not exactly a stellar stat line especially for a guy that doesn’t defend or rebound. I think I am good with who we got.

Agree with several here. Being from the same area, I’m rooting for Mac and keeping an eye on his games. With that said I don’t get the desire some people have for him here other than him being from nearby. He does not fit in with what Barnes want and we have a great group of guards. There isn’t one of them I would trade for Mac right now.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Maybe stick around to see him shoot TTU to a loss?
Max lead the team in scoring. Maybe his shooting early on kept them in the game? Many different ways to view the plays during a game to evaluate why a team lost or won on a given night. To say his shooting pct for the game lost the game is disingenuous. Two guys on the team scored 2/3 of the points. Maybe the other players did not step up and contribute?

The think McClung is a pretty good player and when he is on he can be a difference maker. In years past he could have been a key contributor to a Vols bball team. The issue I have, and I think some of the other posters, is the insinuation made by some and I think the OP is one of them iirc, that McClung was a big miss and UT and Barnes messed up by not recruiting him. I just don’t see him as a player getting a lot of minutes on this years team. If you are going to say he lit up Kansas and is the reason TTU we’re in the game in the first half then you can also say his poor shooting is the reason they lost a close game in the second half.

LMAO, he's shooting 38% (31% from 3), getting fewer than 3 APG, and doesn't play D. He's a "scorer" who has only made 10 shots total in his last 4 games

He sucks

Last edited:
A Huff sighting in the UT BB thread ? What do u think of Keon and Springer ? One and done ?

I haven't been able to watch them yet. I've got 2 games sitting on my DVR. Hopefully not one and done. This draft is supposed to be stacked so that may help

Reactions: The Dog
With it apparent that Barnes missed on a Point Guard in the last 2 recruiting classes, it would have been nice to have Mac McClung. If you look at his offer list, a lot of big
time programs missed on this 3 star recruit. However, if you watch his high school tape, it is incredible. Evaluating talent is certainly huge and to completely wiff on someone
basically from Kingsport I do not understand. I would assume Fulkerson would have played with Mac at some point.

Would welcome others thoughts on this.
fire Barnes.

Reactions: jasonvols2.2
Max lead the team in scoring. Maybe his shooting early on kept them in the game? Many different ways to view the plays during a game to evaluate why a team lost or won on a given night. To say his shooting pct for the game lost the game is disingenuous. Two guys on the team scored 2/3 of the points. Maybe the other players did not step up and contribute?
I’m sure your opinion isn’t biased at all

I’m sure your opinion isn’t biased at all
I didn’t learn about him until his senior year since I do not pay attention to local sports like I used too. I like to see him do well and make it in the NBA but he is at a disadvantage because of size and that he has not played point much. He is listed at 6’2 but that is very generous in my opinion. He will have to develop quickly as a point guard maybe in an NBA developmental league if he ever makes it to the NBA.

Back to your statement that Mac lost the game last night for his team. Do you have bias against him?

I didn’t learn about him until his senior year since I do not pay attention to local sports like I used too. I like to see him do well and make it in the NBA but he is at a disadvantage because of size and that he has not played point much. He will have to develop quickly as a point guard maybe in an NBA developmental league.
I love the kid and root for him, just didn't think he was a good fit for the Vols. If he makes the NBA, I will be a huge fan, if not, I will root for him to ball out at Texas Tech

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I didn’t learn about him until his senior year since I do not pay attention to local sports like I used too. I like to see him do well and make it in the NBA but he is at a disadvantage because of size and that he has not played point much. He is listed at 6’2 but that is very generous in my opinion. He will have to develop quickly as a point guard maybe in an NBA developmental league if he ever makes it to the NBA.

Back to your statement that Mac lost the game last night for his team. Do you have bias against him?
Not at all, I have already said I’m not dogging him, but Tennessee doesn’t have a need for a volume 30% shooter that apparently can shoot you in OR out of games.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Not at all, I have already said I’m not dogging him, but Tennessee doesn’t have a need for a volume 30% shooter that apparently can shoot you in OR out of games.
Your are probably right. I know very little about UT basketball but from what I have picked up on is they have a lot of talent and guards in the 6’4 to 6’7 range which is probably what prevents McClung from being a sure bet for the NBA since he is closer to 6’1.

That is simply BS. If he sucked neither Georgetown or Texas Tech would have taken him.

Teams take players based on talent and potential. I judge them by the results. I can see why teams want him. I wanted him out of HS. The talent is there but the kid has no idea how to use his talent to make his team better. I've seen enough to reasonably conclude he's not gonna fix this in college.

VN Store

Back