Mac McClung

Listen, I’m sure your defense of Mac means a lot to him, but no one here is actually knocking the kid or saying bad things about him, we’re just simply using statistics to showcase that he is not a good fit at Tennessee nor is he as elite as some people try and say.

I live in Georgetown. I got to see him play for two years. He’s a fine player but he without a doubt is a ball hog. He is a volume shooter, as BTO stated. I would watch him play at GTown and he frequently looked to shoot first pass later.

I think he is a solid player for Texas Tech. They lost a ton and needed to replace some people. But Mac is still living more on his dunk highlight reels more than anything. People just want him to be more than he is which is a serviceable guard that will make some big shots but shoot you out of a game too.
What was the other guards name Mac’s freshman year? He was the guy who dribbled all over the court and took bad shots. Mac is a guy who create space at shots at will. I believe he is a team player and could fit in with a team with whatever his role was defined at.

Game 1 starter as a freshman at Georgetown. Scored double figures both years so he was a Quality starter. This year: No 1 scorer for the 14th rated team in the country who just lost by 1 to the 6th rated team in the country in which he scored 21 points.

He sucks ? You are FOS. What’s he got to do to not suck in your eyes? Be an All-American and 1st round NBA pick? He is a good , quality player who has the ability and work ethic for possible development into a better player. Obviously you have some type of bias against the kid.

Based on his role as a score-first PG who is not a great passer and isn't expected to play great D, all he needs to do to not suck, IMO, is be an above average scorer in terms of volume and efficiency. He's barely getting there with the volume and he's below average efficiency which actually means you should want less volume.

It's not that complicated...just be good at the one thing you're supposed to be good at.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Based on his role as a score-first PG who is not a great passer and isn't expected to play great D, all he needs to do to not suck, IMO, is be an above average scorer in terms of volume and efficiency. He's barely getting there with the volume and he's below average efficiency which actually means you should want less volume.

It's not that complicated...just be good at the one thing you're supposed to be good at.
Your post is filled with errors from beginning to end. It indicates you are just trolling , anti-Mac for whatever reason and clueless. I’m going to watch the ATM game now.

One thing I do like about Mac's progress is he is getting to the line more, and if he continues to expand there, he can become an efficient scorer with more volume.

His problems aren't that hard to fix. It just comes down to taking better shots, but he hasn't been able to fix that problem yet. Why?

Your post is filled with errors from beginning to end. It indicates you are just trolling , anti-Mac for whatever reason and clueless. I’m going to watch the ATM game now.

Lol @ "filled with errors"

Of course none of this is personal for me. Ask anybody in the NBA forum, I am consistently all about shooting efficiency when it comes to scorers. I'm not singling out Mac.

Let’s see how the stats wind up at the end of the year. 11 shots a game is certainly not a ball hog statistic and the stats I saw show 2.9 assists and 1.1 turnovers a game which I believe a decent A/To ratio.

A shot every 2:14 of your career is very high for someone shooting under 40%.

U understand career stats? Right?

I even stated “for his career”.

Not sure what your arguing? His % is not great. He certainly shoots a lot. His assist to turnover isn’t great, his D isn’t good.........you can’t make the numbers be something their not.......even if you simply use 7 games of this year.......vs his career.

Nothing wrong with being a average to decent D1 player. Hey that’s great most never play D1.

I said it. I stand by it. He's a talent but he can't produce. I can see scenarios where he could produce, but he makes things really difficult to build around him
I’m not debating your opinion/post, just point out to Mookie that some folks had posted negative things about this player. Personally, I only care follow the guys wearing orange and don’t have an opinion on this player

Reactions: n_huffhines
Being a Gate City alum, my facebook feed is starting to fill up with Texas Tech basketball material. He's better than I thought he was. Big game tonight, I suppose. OU is pretty tough.

My thinking on McClung has changed a bit. I still think he would likely be a square peg trying to fit into a round hole in Barnes offense but he is a shot maker. When our offense bogged down so bad against Florida we could have used someone like McClung who does try to create offense. He also shoots at a lower percentage and sometimes forces things that results in turnovers. Just saying there have been times, especially when Springer was out, that we could have used someone like him.

Reactions: Vol49er
If Tennessee had Mcclung I honestly think we would have 1 loss maybe. Scores too good

McClung, as it turns out, is exactly what this team needs, which is someone who can go out and get their own shot and has the confidence to do it. I think hindsight being 20/20, we’d all trade him for Bailey, straight up, but that wasn’t an option as Bailey was already here.

Just an unfortunate circumstance of timing for MM and Tennessee. We were very guard heavy and post needy at the time he came available. With only 13 scholarships, taking another guard just didn’t make sense, but I wish we had his ability and confidence to go get a bucket.

McClung, as it turns out, is exactly what this team needs, which is someone who can go out and get their own shot and has the confidence to do it. I think hindsight being 20/20, we’d all trade him for Bailey, straight up, but that wasn’t an option as Bailey was already here.

Just an unfortunate circumstance of timing for MM and Tennessee. We were very guard heavy and post needy at the time he came available. With only 13 scholarships, taking another guard just didn’t make sense, but I wish we had his ability and confidence to go get a bucket.
This. What he's done at Tech doesn't necessarily scream that he would be as effective at UT, but in hindsight, yes, he would bring something that Tennessee needs. I like Bailey even though he's trash sometimes, but I agree, straight up trade for McClung would be better for the Vols knowing what we know now.

A much more reasonable post and one I can likely agree with, he’s a similar style player to Bailey and a case can be made that he’d be better for this team than Bailey, as you mention though that wasn’t an option. And I damn sure wouldn’t trade him for any of our other guards.

A much more reasonable post and one I can likely agree with, he’s a similar style player to Bailey and a case can be made that he’d be better for this team than Bailey, as you mention though that wasn’t an option. And I damn sure wouldn’t trade him for any of our other guards.
Man I was saying this same thing and getting grief over it
No and no. I’m just saying in a vacuum I think McClung would have been better, in a world where we hadn’t taken Bailey. It’s just a discussion

Ok, I guess that’s what I’m saying. I think this team with McClung would have been better than this team with Bailey, but I recognize that a straight swap like that wasn’t really in the cards without cutting loose a player, which I’m against

A shot every 2:14 of your career is very high for someone shooting under 40%.

U understand career stats? Right?

I even stated “for his career”.

Not sure what your arguing? His % is not great. He certainly shoots a lot. His assist to turnover isn’t great, his D isn’t good.........you can’t make the numbers be something their not.......even if you simply use 7 games of this year.......vs his career.

Nothing wrong with being a average to decent D1 player. Hey that’s great most never play D1.
Mcclung’s shooting pct is now above 40% for the season. The last several games he has been around 50% against quality competition. Plus he has been making opportunistic big plays even on the defensive end as he did Saturday.

Man I was saying this same thing and getting grief over it
Again, you replied to my post and a conversation about McClung being better than ANY of our guards, that take is asinine. If you want to discuss Bailey for McClung that’s a completely different topic than the one you originally joined in on, I’ve already stated this.

Mac is having a good season scoring the basketball but I'm glad we don't have him because I'd rather see the ball move like it does.

Again, you replied to my post and a conversation about McClung being better than ANY of our guards, that take is asinine. If you want to discuss Bailey for McClung that’s a completely different topic than the one you originally joined in on, I’ve already stated this.
Well my initial post on the topic finished with “Nobody is supposing that we should not have taken Jaden or Keon to have room for Mac.” Just cause I pointed out flaws in the logic you used to disagree with 1985 doesn’t mean that I agreed with 85 that he would be the best guard on the roster. But you responded as if I did. But I guess we’re on the same page now, roughly. Go Vols

To me you always have room on your team for someone who knows how to score and he showed that in high school in droves. Great athlete and from our backyard with legacy ties. He definitely would have worked out better than D.J Burns or anyone in the 2017 class besides Pons.

Reactions: cncchris33
Mcclung’s shooting pct is now above 40% for the season. The last several games he has been around 50% against quality competition. Plus he has been making opportunistic big plays even on the defensive end as he did Saturday.

Edit: Last 3 games against top 11 opponents.
FG 25-53. Now at 44% for the season, 36% on 3’s for the season. Average 25 pts/game in those 3 contests.

Who’s minutes is he gonna take? I’m fine with the 5 guards were playing now provided we go inside regularly to get Fulky & Pons their looks.

VN Store

Back