Mac McClung

volinatlanta

With it apparent that Barnes missed on a Point Guard in the last 2 recruiting classes, it would have been nice to have Mac McClung. If you look at his offer list, a lot of big
time programs missed on this 3 star recruit. However, if you watch his high school tape, it is incredible. Evaluating talent is certainly huge and to completely wiff on someone
basically from Kingsport I do not understand. I would assume Fulkerson would have played with Mac at some point.

Would welcome others thoughts on this.

Reactions: RollerVol
With it apparent that Barnes missed on a Point Guard in the last 2 recruiting classes, it would have been nice to have Mac McClung. If you look at his offer list, a lot of big
time programs missed on this 3 star recruit. However, if you watch his high school tape, it is incredible. Evaluating talent is certainly huge and to completely wiff on someone
basically from Kingsport I do not understand. I would assume Fulkerson would have played with Mac at some point.

McClung has point guard size, but he is more of a two guard than a point. In the film I have seen since Akinjo has left McClung is still playing off ball.

Last edited:

What is a Matt mcLung.

He's a sub 40% shooter with a career 1:1 asst to turnover ratio. I'm not sure what exactly we missed on.

There were major question marks about his level of competition and whether he would translate.

After seeing him play collegiate for two years, I think we can say he is indeed a strong scorer but not a true point. Also, he can be inconsistent.

Wouldn't mind if we took him, but also not sad we didn't imo

Reactions: Vols All Day
While he may have been just a 3 star recruit, he was one of the most popular and well known recruits in the nation. Between being a small white guy who can dunk like that and his cousin being a famous rapper, he had many viral moments before even getting to Georgetown. He has a lengthy Wikipedia page which is evidence of how well known he’s been.

That being said, as a program we’ve kind of shoehorned ourselves into a certain kind of recruit: a kid that is extremely religious. To a man, every single player on the team is devoutly religious. Outside of basketball, it’s the one joining force on the team. Since Barnes has taken over religion and faith has played a big role in the team. For example Kyle Alexander and Bowden being baptized mid season, and every players social media displaying how important their faith is. It’s not a bad thing, as it’s made for a very mature and high character team, but limits us in the guys we can target to guys who are religious (and it shows in the guys we recruit).

I think McClung likely falls under the category of not “fitting in” with the program

Last edited:
Reactions: Volunteer_Kirby
While he may have been just a 3 star recruit, he was one of the most popular and well known recruits in the nation. Between being a small white guy who can dunk like that and his cousin being a famous rapper, he had many viral moments before even getting to Georgetown. He has a lengthy Wikipedia page which is evidence of how well known he’s been.

That being said, as a program we’ve kind of shoehorned ourselves into a certain kind of recruit: a kid that is extremely religious. To a man, every single player on the team is devoutly religious. Outside of basketball, it’s the one joining force on the team. Since Barnes has taken over religion and faith has played a big role in the team. For example Kyle Alexander and Bowden being baptized mid season, and every players social media displaying how important their faith is. It’s not a bad thing, as it’s made for a very mature and high character team, but limits us in the guys we can target to guys who are religious (and it shows in the guys we recruit).

I think McClung likely falls under the category of not “fitting in” with the program
If he didn't fit, don't bring him in. I love the way CRB and staff recruit. Kid ain't that good, small, and not a great shooter

He's a sub 40% shooter with a career 1:1 asst to turnover ratio. I'm not sure what exactly we missed on.
Didn't exactly hit it out of the park with Turner, did we? I would take his 16 points a game right now

Oh and about those turnovers, Turner averages twice as many turnovers a game as this kid does so far this year.

Reactions: G0V0LS33
Didn't exactly hit it out of the park with Turner, did we? I would take his 16 points a game right now

Oh and about those turnovers, Turner averages twice as many turnovers a game as this kid does so far this year.
Guess we're just dismissing his career FG% hovering around 38-39% and 3PT % around 34% and around 80% from the line. He's in a slump. Shooters come out of slumps. We do need him and Bowden though. When they disappear we are toast. I think it's going to be one of those years kinda like we expected coming into the season. Started off pretty well, but just think there's going to be some of those "no show" games this year, for lack of consistency in having that "go to" like Grant and Admiral that you know you're getting 15-18 points every night. Just like Villanova last year...they lost Brunson and Dante who could put the team on their back, and made the tourney, but barely...I think that's about where we're at this year...unless James takes over, and Pons/Fulk take up the slack.

Reactions: Mikevol1964
A two guard playing point. A clutch shooter who has made big shot after big shot in his Vol career. A player fighting through a shoulder injury who gives his all for UT. That’s what Turner is!
Ok but that poster said McClung isn't any good, is that true? Because if we're looking at stats it would seem he's the better of the 2... My point is this kid could have helped UT this season and the volnation justifies stuff like this by saying the kid sucks, didn't fit the system etc. The kid doesn't suck, he's a great basketball player. Turner doesn't suck, he's a great basketball player. Just not sure why some feel the need to destroy McClung to justify him not being here.

Reactions: Ray Zalinsky
we're hurting right now...Turner has shoulder issues and no one to give him some rest...both Turner and Bowden play a lot of minutes...we in deep Kimche...heck, I'll take anybody right now...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BET CINCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: CAVPUT
Guess we're just dismissing his career FG% hovering around 38-39% and 3PT % around 34% and around 80% from the line. He's in a slump. Shooters come out of slumps. We do need him and Bowden though. When they disappear we are toast. I think it's going to be one of those years kinda like we expected coming into the season. Started off pretty well, but just think there's going to be some of those "no show" games this year, for lack of consistency in having that "go to" like Grant and Admiral that you know you're getting 15-18 points every night. Just like Villanova last year...they lost Brunson and Dante who could put the team on their back, and made the tourney, but barely...I think that's about where we're at this year...unless James takes over, and Pons/Fulk take up the slack.
Ok Mac Mclung has similar numbers, if not better... Granted his sample size is 2 seasons compared to Turners 4. However is it fair to say this kid isn't good, undersized and can't play? That's how most are justifying him not being here.

Mac McClung Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

we're hurting right now...Turner has shoulder issues and no one to give him some rest...both Turner and Bowden play a lot of minutes...we in deep Kimche...heck, I'll take anybody right now...:D

Right but the point is this kid could have helped this team, is that not true?

The problem with Georgetown was the other point guard recruit Ajinko (sp?) who it now turns out was a cancer on the team. Since he has left , Mac has averaged 26 points , about 45% 3pt and 50% FG. He is also 90% plus FT. He can start on 98% of teams in the country and can play point guard. He just won his second BE player of the week. I was not sure how he would do at D1 play. He has proved everyone wrong.

Last edited:
The transition to point guard from high school is massive, I think it is the hardest position to recruit and be successful.

I do not understand the assumptions in your post here. In what capacity does he not fit in ? He is driven and a gym rat and I have heard nothing about character issues.

Great. Then we should just discount what Turner has done in his career for a YouTube baller who's had a nice week. Sure, I'm on board.

The problem with Georgetown was the other point guard recruit Ajinko (sp?) who it now turns out was a cancer on the team. Since he has left , Mac has averaged 26 points , about 45% 3pt and 50% FG. He is also 90% plus FT. He can start on 98% of teams in the country and can play point guard. He just won his second BE player of the week. I was not sure how he would di at D1 play. He has proved everyone wrong.
Good on him for taking advantage of the situation, he's had a nice couple of weeks. Let's see where Georgetown finishes the season.

Good on him for taking advantage of the situation, he's had a nice couple of weeks. Let's see where Georgetown finishes the season.
They lost 4 to 5 players and are down to about 7 to 8 scholarship players. The lack of depth is probably going hurt Georgetown as they get into conference play.

I do not understand the assumptions in your post here. In what capacity does he not fit in ? He is driven and a gym rat and I have heard nothing about character issues.

My assumption is that he wouldn’t fit in with the ultra religious (and high character) team like we are. That sort of environment doesn’t fit with every recruit

Seems the shoulder is most troublesome when he's shooting or it impacts his shooting more than passing or dribbling. Might be time to let him focus on handling and distribution of the ball. Let others assume more of the scoring load. While he might be our best shooter when healthy, he's far from that right now.

Might not be ideal, but neither is 1-11. Just hope others can keep us competitive until Vescovi arrives and is up to speed. Not many other options I can see.

VN Store

Back