Mac McClung

Great. Then we should just discount what Turner has done in his career for a YouTube baller who's had a nice week. Sure, I'm on board.
Lol a youtube baller? Are you kidding me? He's a great athlete and a great basketball player. Turner is a great athlete and a great basketball player. IMO McClung would be helping this team this year and maybe even starting over Turner given his struggles. This is the volnation logic I'm talking about that allows people to paint this fan base with a broad brush. Take off the orange glasses

My assumption is that he wouldn’t fit in with the ultra religious (and high character) team like we are. That sort of environment doesn’t fit with every recruit
That is a stretch. I’m not sure if McClung background in religion is but from what I have seen he is every coaches dream regarding work ethic and coachability.

Just because someone posts videos of him on YouTube doesn’t mean he is anything special.

He scores 16 per, 2 assists per with 2 turnovers per (this year). Last year 13 points per, 2 assists and 2 turnovers.......if your looking for some hidden gem......this guy isn’t it.

He is shooting it pretty good right now at 43%, he has had several games (this year) when he shot the ball horrible.

He really doesn’t do anything really well except shoot foul shots.

Just because someone posts videos of him on YouTube doesn’t mean he is anything special.

He scores 16 per, 2 assists per with 2 turnovers per (this year). Last year 13 points per, 2 assists and 2 turnovers.......if your looking for some hidden gem......this guy isn’t it.

He is shooting it pretty good right now at 43%, he has had several games (this year) when he shot the ball horrible.

And our current PG is averaging 12.8 points per game and 3.7 turnovers per game while shooting 28% from the field and 71% from FT. So could this guy have helped this team, this year?

A uninformed opinion from someone who has not really seen McClung play. Again you may want to watch him in a game. Look at his stats the last 3 or 4 games after the other more highly rated PG left the team. Look at his points scored to shots taken ratio.McClung would likely be leading UT in scoring if he was on the team.

Reactions: iVolSoHard
Lol a youtube baller? Are you kidding me? He's a great athlete and a great basketball player. Turner is a great athlete and a great basketball player. IMO McClung would be helping this team this year and maybe even starting over Turner given his struggles. This is the volnation logic I'm talking about that allows people to paint this fan base with a broad brush. Take off the orange glasses
I don't see where UT was ever really in the picture, so I'm not sure what the point is about this guy. He looks like a good player. There's alot of good PG's out there. We just need ours to play consistently up to their potential, and we'll be OK.
Mac McClung Recruit Interests

I don't see where UT was ever really in the picture, so I'm not sure what the point is about this guy. He looks like a good player. There's alot of good PG's out there. We just need ours to play consistently up to their potential, and we'll be OK.
The main point was that he was overlooked, which is fine I don't fault Barnes for that because it happens every year. Then some of the basketball gods around here started to chime in saying this guy was undersized ( although he is the exact same size as Turner ), this guy can't play ( even though his numbers are better than Turners ), hes just a youtube baller that isn't any good ( although he's on scholarship, starting PG at Georgetown for Patrick Ewing ). Just calling out Volnation logic and how stupid it is

McClung can play point guard at times in a game but right now he is more a shooting guard.

McClung can play point guard at times in a game but right now he is more a shooting guard.

Though he racks up good assist numbers, with how much Lamonte is a ball stopper, how he hunts for his own shot, and the ridiculous amount of turnovers he commits you could argue Lamonte is more of a shooting guard also. That is largely what he played up until this season anyway. He’s only playing PG now because of need

Ok but that poster said McClung isn't any good, is that true? Because if we're looking at stats it would seem he's the better of the 2... My point is this kid could have helped UT this season and the volnation justifies stuff like this by saying the kid sucks, didn't fit the system etc. The kid doesn't suck, he's a great basketball player. Turner doesn't suck, he's a great basketball player. Just not sure why some feel the need to destroy McClung to justify him not being here.

How is he “the better of the two”?

Seriously

Because he is currently scoring 3 points more per? Or because he is currently shooting at 43% vs 29%?

How is his ball handling?
How is his decision making?
How about his defense?

Mac has played 30 minutes or more twice in his career, Turner has had 3 games this season where he played 40 minutes or almost 40 minutes.......and is averaging almost 35 minutes......could Mac give you that if needed? Who knows.

Mac is a decent ball player, but Turner is a great defender, he is a good ball handler, he is a leader, and has been clutch many times. Turner is just in a bad slump, and some of that is certainly due to shoulder trouble

However Mac would not be the answer for Tennessee. I’m sure he is just fine for GT but Tennessee plays a much different O and with a much more intense D........he would not fit.

Reactions: VolDaddy61
How is he “the better of the two”?

Seriously

Because he is currently scoring 3 points more per? Or because he is currently shooting at 43% vs 29%?

How is his ball handling?
How is his decision making?
How about his defense?

Mac has played 30 minutes or more twice in his career, Turner has had 3 games this season where he played 40 minutes or almost 40 minutes.......and is averaging almost 35 minutes......could Mac give you that if needed? Who knows.

Mac is a decent ball player, but Turner is a great defender, he is a good ball handler, he is a leader, and has been clutch many times. Turner is just in a bad slump, and some of that is certainly due to shoulder trouble

However Mac would not be the answer for Tennessee. I’m sure he is just fine for GT but Tennessee plays a much different O and with a much more intense D........he would not fit.
How much have you watched him especially the last two weeks? He has won consecutive player of the weeks since the point guard left the team. He would not only fit in but he would be leading the team in scoring and be one of the leaders. Watch the kid play and then come back and tell us if he would not have fit in at UT.

Reactions: iVolSoHard
The main point was that he was overlooked, which is fine I don't fault Barnes for that because it happens every year. Then some of the basketball gods around here started to chime in saying this guy was undersized ( although he is the exact same size as Turner ), this guy can't play ( even though his numbers are better than Turners ), hes just a youtube baller that isn't any good ( although he's on scholarship, starting PG at Georgetown for Patrick Ewing ). Just calling out Volnation logic and how stupid it is
He is the starting shooting guard and has started at that position since the 1st game of his freshman year.

A uninformed opinion from someone who has not really seen McClung play. Again you may want to watch him in a game. Look at his stats the last 3 or 4 games after the other more highly rated PG left the team. Look at his points scored to shots taken ratio.McClung would likely be leading UT in scoring if he was on the team.

Uhhhh what?

You got to do much more than watch him play or look at his stats. “Knowing” the system he is in now vs what Tennessee runs (and what would be required of him) means much more than.......look at his stats.

I’ve seen him play, probably more than most on this site......at least 7 games worth.

Just because you can score for team X doesn’t mean you would be some “super point guard” for team Z.

Mac can score, but so can many people. He isn’t a great defender, and he really isn’t great at anything except for shooting foul shots. While he doesn’t turn the ball over a ton, his turnovers would be horrible if he had to pass the ball in Tennessee’s offense.......where it’s required.

Vs the 4 good teams GT has played Mac had two “good” games and two bad games......and in the good ones he scored......but what else did he do well?

Hey if you want a PG who can get you 16 points per game, that is cool......Tennessee could use that right now......however Tennessee has been and will be relying on their D, this year.........Mac doesn’t have that and may struggle badly in Tennessee’s motion O.

Uhhhh what?

You got to do much more than watch him play or look at his stats. “Knowing” the system he is in now vs what Tennessee runs (and what would be required of him) means much more than.......look at his stats.

I’ve seen him play, probably more than most on this site......at least 7 games worth.

Just because you can score for team X doesn’t mean you would be some “super point guard” for team Z.

Mac can score, but so can many people. He isn’t a great defender, and he really isn’t great at anything except for shooting foul shots. While he doesn’t turn the ball over a ton, his turnovers would be horrible if he had to pass the ball in Tennessee’s offense.......where it’s required.

Vs the 4 good teams GT has played Mac had two “good” games and two bad games......and in the good ones he scored......but what else did he do well?

Hey if you want a PG who can get you 16 points per game, that is cool......Tennessee could use that right now......however Tennessee has been and will be relying on their D, this year.........Mac doesn’t have that and may struggle badly in Tennessee’s motion O.
McClung is not a point guard so your arguments are flawed from the beginning. You have to put his play and production prior to Akinjo leaving aside in another bracket for the time being. It looks like a completely different team now with excellent ball movement. Read Boeheim’s recent comments about how Akinjo leaving the team has helped Georgetown.

How much have you watched him especially the last two weeks? He has won consecutive player of the weeks since the point guard left the team. He would not only fit in but he would be leading the team in scoring and be one of the leaders. Watch the kid play and then come back and tell us if he would not have fit in at UT.

You have no idea what he “would” do at Tennessee, because Tennessee has a much different offense and defense.

Even if he gave Tennessee 16 points per.....we could also assume he would have 8 assists and 8 turnovers.......with lack luster D (the type required from coach Barnes). We simply don’t know.

What I do know is, he wouldn’t even be starting for Tennessee if he were on the team........Barnes puts D first. If you can’t play “Barnes D”.......you certainly aren’t starting.

I’ve seen him play P-State, OK-State, Duke, Cuse, Xavier, Nova & Marquette......and seen highlights of many other games.

And our current PG is averaging 12.8 points per game and 3.7 turnovers per game while shooting 28% from the field and 71% from FT. So could this guy have helped this team, this year?

Did you even read my post?

Your assuming a lot, because he scores 16 points for GT.

Tennessee’s current pg has WAY more assists than does Mac (more than 3 times more per game)......but if you want to look at it that way, Mac would have 7 turnovers per game at Tennessee.

I honestly don’t know if he could help Tennessee or not. I do know Tennessee could use some extra scoring; however Tennessee would also need that “extra scorer” to play “Tennessee” defense........something that Mac doesn’t do.

we also don’t even know if he could handle the ball or make decisions for Tennessee’s offense......and he would also be defended much differently at Tennessee (if he were the starting pg for Tennessee).

You have no idea what he “would” do at Tennessee, because Tennessee has a much different offense and defense.

Even if he gave Tennessee 16 points per.....we could also assume he would have 8 assists and 8 turnovers.......with lack luster D (the type required from coach Barnes). We simply don’t know.

What I do know is, he wouldn’t even be starting for Tennessee if he were on the team........Barnes puts D first. If you can’t play “Barnes D”.......you certainly aren’t starting.

I’ve seen him play P-State, OK-State, Duke, Cuse, Xavier, Nova & Marquette......and seen highlights of many other games.
You have not watched him then since Akinjo left the team. Georgetown and McClung have completely reversed course. Not only would McClung be starting , he would be leading the team in scoring. If you have the ability to watch the 3 to 4 recent games I believe you would change your opinion. You should also record their upcoming games.

Did you even read my post?

Your assuming a lot, because he scores 16 points for GT.

Tennessee’s current pg has WAY more assists than does Mac (more than 3 times more per game)......but if you want to look at it that way, Mac would have 7 turnovers per game at Tennessee.

I honestly don’t know if he could help Tennessee or not. I do know Tennessee could use some extra scoring; however Tennessee would also need that “extra scorer” to play “Tennessee” defense........something that Mac doesn’t do.

we also don’t even know if he could handle the ball or make decisions for Tennessee’s offense......and he would also be defended much differently at Tennessee (if he were the starting pg for Tennessee).
I believe Mac can play solid defense if he was playing for a coach who is defensive minded like you state Barnes is. McClung is definitely athletic and quick enough to do so.

Ok but that poster said McClung isn't any good, is that true? Because if we're looking at stats it would seem he's the better of the 2... My point is this kid could have helped UT this season and the volnation justifies stuff like this by saying the kid sucks, didn't fit the system etc. The kid doesn't suck, he's a great basketball player. Turner doesn't suck, he's a great basketball player. Just not sure why some feel the need to destroy McClung to justify him not being here.
And it’s not as if it has to be either or. You can have both, and. This team could desperately use him. It’s not as though UT could have just had him at will. He’s at a high level school in Georgetown.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
McClung is not a point guard so your arguments are flawed from the beginning. You have to put his play and production prior to Akinjo leaving aside in another bracket for the time being. It looks like a completely different team now with excellent ball movement. Read Boeheim’s recent comments about how Akinjo leaving the team has helped Georgetown.

I wasn’t the one who came up with the comparison now was I?

And hey if you want to go by a “very” small sample size.....go ahead.

I’ll simply say it again. Mac is a good scorer, he is NOT a real good defender.......and that would be key if he were at Tennessee.

I also said he was fine for GT, which he is.......just don’t think it would work here, simply because of the O and D Tennessee runs.

I wasn’t the one who came up with the comparison now was I?

And hey if you want to go by a “very” small sample size.....go ahead.

I’ll simply say it again. Mac is a good scorer, he is NOT a real good defender.......and that would be key if he were at Tennessee.

I also said he was fine for GT, which he is.......just don’t think it would work here, simply because of the O and D Tennessee runs.
Mac would excel in any system, he is a special player. Watch him the next few games. Watch the recent Syracuse and Ok State games if you have the ability. I have no doubt you would change your opinion.

I always wished we would’ve got him . Would be really good for us right now, and might be undefeated.

Logic would dictate you choosing a player who has been a key cog in over 80+ victories in his career, and hit countless big shots, and had been absolute dog during his time on the hill. You'd give up on that for a player who's had a nice couple of weeks ?!

Reactions: JoAllan
You have not watched him then since Akinjo left the team. Georgetown and McClung have completely reversed course. Not only would McClung be starting , he would be leading the team in scoring. If you have the ability to watch the 3 to 4 recent games I believe you would change your opinion. You should also record their upcoming games.

I stated I saw the game vs Syracuse.

I just don’t think “players” are as plug and play and many people think. Sure some certainly could be. But most really aren’t. Different systems......especially one like Tennessee runs requires a certain type of player (and a certain amount of time doing it). Just look at James Daniel........27 points per (15–6) at Howard, then less than 6 points per (17-18) Tennessee. Totally different situation, but we know he could shoot and we know he could score.....it’s just much different in a different system.

On the last part I’m not sure if I even have a way to record anymore........I only do streaming stuff now days.......not sure if any of those let’s you record or not, never looked into it.

Mac would excel in any system, he is a special player. Watch him the next few games. Watch the recent Syracuse and Ok State games if you have the ability. I have no doubt you would change your opinion.

I’m sry, I just don’t see the defense that would be required at Tennessee.......to simply “plug and play.”

I’ll certainly watch as much as I can (that is aired) as I like to watch all college basketball I can.

I will say given time, he “could” be a decent player for Tennessee......if he were here. A player like he could learn the system, and improve on D, and could become a decent player for Tennessee. However I was first responding to someone saying “he does this” so basically he could do that now at Tennessee........which is FAR from truth......simply because things aren’t equal.

Reactions: VolDaddy61

VN Store

Back