Mac McClung

So you admit the 3 teams Georgetown played recently are not subpar? I did not state they were too 20 teams. Thank you , my point of you trying to distort facts is justified.

You have to make the argument on 3 games because that is when the baseline changes. We will see how it turns out. I think we are going to see more of the same for Georgetown and Mac if the lack of depth doesn't catch up to them later in the season.

So your statement is Mac would have to score 35 against Nova and hold the opposing guard to 30 % shooting for you to think he would excel at UT? That is a laughable take. You are losing credibility with each post you make. If I was you, I would limit my opinions to sports like badminton or maybe the game of checkers.

Later part....no not at all. I’m not the one trying to make the guy into something he isn’t. But if some people want to make him out to be so good he could fit in and play anywhere, while looking at 3 games......by all means, get back to me when he does his O well vs Nova.....also while displaying some D that would work here at Tennessee. I’m not the one trying to make him into anything. He is a good player for GT, he could be a decent to good player for a lot of teams......given time.

But in NO way does that mean he could simply switch teams and do what he is currently doing on a different team......especially one that emphasizes defense.

Later part....no not at all. I’m not the one trying to make the guy into something he isn’t. But if some people want to make him out to be so good he could fit in and play anywhere, while looking at 3 games......by all means, get back to me when he does his O well vs Nova.....also while displaying some D that would work here at Tennessee. I’m not the one trying to make him into anything. He is a good player for GT, he could be a decent to good player for a lot of teams......given time.

But in NO way does that mean he could simply switch teams and do what he is currently doing on a different team......especially one that emphasizes defense.
He would start at Tn because he is a prolific scorer. You can’t keep a guy like him on the bench.

He would start at Tn because he is a prolific scorer. You can’t keep a guy like him on the bench.

I guess we just have different definitions of what a “prolific scorer” is.

I would think 13.9 points per game is a “good” scorer.....but for me I wouldn’t say it’s “prolific” by any stretch of the imagination.

Now maybe he is on a continental upswing, so maybe he will turn into a “prolific” scorer......but we don’t know yet. Right now it is what it is..........also when/if he “becomes a prolific scorer still doesn’t mean a lot, when it comes to him and a different school.

Daniel was certainly WAY more of a prolific scorer than Mac has been, but when he came to Tennessee he became the 7th man and averaged 5 and a half points per game........again what you “may” become at one school doesn’t mean anything as to what you “would” be at a different school.

Ag
I guess we just have different definitions of what a “prolific scorer” is.

I would think 13.9 points per game is a “good” scorer.....but for me I wouldn’t say it’s “prolific” by any stretch of the imagination.

Now maybe he is on a continental upswing, so maybe he will turn into a “prolific” scorer......but we don’t know yet. Right now it is what it is..........also when/if he “becomes a prolific scorer still doesn’t mean a lot, when it comes to him and a different school.

Daniel was certainly WAY more of a prolific scorer than Mac has been, but when he came to Tennessee he became the 7th man and averaged 5 and a half points per game........again what you “may” become at one school doesn’t mean anything as to what you “would” be at a different school.
Again you fail to understand the situation at Georgetown. Mac was not getting the ball in a position consistently enough to maximize his value. Since the cancer was removed from the team , Mac has averaged 26ppg while shooting approximately 50% from both the field and 3 point range. He broke Iverson’s scoring state record. He scored 47 in the state championship game setting a VHSL record. He is without a doubt a prolific scorer. He can take the 3 , drive past a defender in the dribble and either get a good shot at the rim or get fouled.

Reactions: iVolSoHard
While he may have been just a 3 star recruit, he was one of the most popular and well known recruits in the nation. Between being a small white guy who can dunk like that and his cousin being a famous rapper, he had many viral moments before even getting to Georgetown. He has a lengthy Wikipedia page which is evidence of how well known he’s been.

That being said, as a program we’ve kind of shoehorned ourselves into a certain kind of recruit: a kid that is extremely religious. To a man, every single player on the team is devoutly religious. Outside of basketball, it’s the one joining force on the team. Since Barnes has taken over religion and faith has played a big role in the team. For example Kyle Alexander and Bowden being baptized mid season, and every players social media displaying how important their faith is. It’s not a bad thing, as it’s made for a very mature and high character team, but limits us in the guys we can target to guys who are religious (and it shows in the guys we recruit).

I think McClung likely falls under the category of not “fitting in” with the program
No doubt Barnes leadership has payed off in success on the court, but more importantly, success in leading young men to be part of the solution to what ails the world.

Ag
Again you fail to understand the situation at Georgetown. Mac was not getting the ball in a position consistently enough to maximize his value. Since the cancer was removed from the team , Mac has averaged 26ppg while shooting approximately 50% from both the field and 3 point range. He broke Iverson’s scoring state record. He scored 47 in the state championship game setting a VHSL record. He is without a doubt a prolific scorer. He can take the 3 , drive past a defender in the dribble and either get a good shot at the rim or get fouled.

Oh my goodness.

No you simply fail to understand you are wrong.......dead wrong.

He MIGHT become the all time leading scorer in NCAA history.......,heck I don’t know. But for now he isn’t........for now he is 13.9.......who is hopefully on an upswing that continues.......but none of us know if it will or what will happen.

Not to mention none of us know what or how he would do at Tennessee.....no one knows.

you say he would......you say he is and would be. Prolific scorer and that alone would have him on the floor.

Well it doesn’t work that way. Heck I’ve shown you some examples of it not working that way.......therefore if it doesn’t always work that way........you don’t know.

my goodness some people do not understand the difference between fact and their own opinion.........your opinion “he is a prolific scorer”.......Therefore he would be at Tennessee.........that is not a fact. However the real fact is not every “prolific scorer” can change schools and keep getting it done.......not to mention he isn’t a prolific scorer.........consistently........right now.

Oh my goodness.

No you simply fail to understand you are wrong.......dead wrong.

He MIGHT become the all time leading scorer in NCAA history.......,heck I don’t know. But for now he isn’t........for now he is 13.9.......who is hopefully on an upswing that continues.......but none of us know if it will or what will happen.

Not to mention none of us know what or how he would do at Tennessee.....no one knows.

you say he would......you say he is and would be. Prolific scorer and that alone would have him on the floor.

Well it doesn’t work that way. Heck I’ve shown you some examples of it not working that way.......therefore if it doesn’t always work that way........you don’t know.

my goodness some people do not understand the difference between fact and their own opinion.........your opinion “he is a prolific scorer”.......Therefore he would be at Tennessee.........that is not a fact. However the real fact is not every “prolific scorer” can change schools and keep getting it done.......not to mention he isn’t a prolific scorer.........consistently........right now.
You really have not showed me anything except to continue to ignore facts about Mac’s obvious talent. We are at a stalemate. I’ll check back in a few weeks and we can debate some more.

Reactions: cardvolfan
You really have not showed me anything except to continue to ignore facts about Mac’s obvious talent. We are at a stalemate. I’ll check back in a few weeks and we can debate some more.

Daniel: prolific scorer, switched to Tennessee became 7th man scoring 5 1/2 points per game.

Blacksheir: the number 1 transfer, switched to Florida and now all stats are lower or even as last year.

If you want I can prob quickly come up with 5-10 more examples.

Just saying it doesn’t “always” work that way.

Also said he was a good player and a good scorer......just no one knows what he would do at Tennessee.

Daniel: prolific scorer, switched to Tennessee became 7th man scoring 5 1/2 points per game.

Blacksheir: the number 1 transfer, switched to Florida and now all stats are lower or even as last year.

If you want I can prob quickly come up with 5-10 more examples.

Just saying it doesn’t “always” work that way.

Also said he was a good player and a good scorer......just no one knows what he would do at Tennessee.
There is one major problem with your argument. They are not Mac McClung.

With it apparent that Barnes missed on a Point Guard in the last 2 recruiting classes, it would have been nice to have Mac McClung. If you look at his offer list, a lot of big
time programs missed on this 3 star recruit. However, if you watch his high school tape, it is incredible. Evaluating talent is certainly huge and to completely wiff on someone
basically from Kingsport I do not understand. I would assume Fulkerson would have played with Mac at some point.

Would welcome others thoughts on this.

He was a YouTube star because he’s short, white and could dunk well. He’s had some decent games at GTown but we had Bone, Lamonte, and have since signed Josiah as our future PG.

He was a YouTube star because he’s short, white and could dunk well. He’s had some decent games at GTown but we had Bone, Lamonte, and have since signed Josiah as our future PG.
Everyone is assuming that McClung would be a point guard at any program. He is not a point guard.

Everyone is assuming that McClung would be a point guard at any program. He is not a point guard.

So if you’re asking us if we’d rather have McClung at the 2 than Bowden, the answer is hell no. Bowden has struggled the last few games but when both are on I’d take Bowden. James has also played the 2 a bit this year. I’d take him over McClung too.

Our issue isn’t guards, even though that’s 100% why we lost against Memphis. Our issue is inside the post. When Pons gets in foul trouble we have zero post presence or ability to defend the rim. If our 7 footer would’ve been deemed eligible I think we’d be undefeated right now. Changes how Memphis and Florida State both attacked us.

So if you’re asking us if we’d rather have McClung at the 2 than Bowden, the answer is hell no. Bowden has struggled the last few games but when both are on I’d take Bowden. James has also played the 2 a bit this year. I’d take him over McClung too.

Our issue isn’t guards, even though that’s 100% why we lost against Memphis. Our issue is inside the post. When Pons gets in foul trouble we have zero post presence or ability to defend the rim. If our 7 footer would’ve been deemed eligible I think we’d be undefeated right now. Changes how Memphis and Florida State both attacked us.
How much have you watched McClung and what are Bowsen’s stats? I guess the only thing that will solve the debate is if GT plays UT in the tournament come March.

Did UT have a chance to sign McClung ? ....and why ? Tennessee kid ? Some connection to the kid ? ....or was UT high on his list ? I really don't know. If we didn't, this whole discussion is moot.

Reactions: njvols
Mac could definitely help with some scoring for our second string. He would probably be our 1st or 2nd off the bench and give our guards some much needed breaks. He’d probably still avenge double figures.

With it apparent that Barnes missed on a Point Guard in the last 2 recruiting classes, it would have been nice to have Mac McClung. If you look at his offer list, a lot of big
time programs missed on this 3 star recruit. However, if you watch his high school tape, it is incredible. Evaluating talent is certainly huge and to completely wiff on someone
basically from Kingsport I do not understand. I would assume Fulkerson would have played with Mac at some point.

Would welcome others thoughts on this.
He was from Virginia, so by the same logic, Virginia tech, Virginia and many others also missed on a three star in their backyard. I wish we had him, he has shown he has the talent to contribute on this level, but no coach is going to bat 1000 on recruiting.

Reactions: njvols
This is a bizarre thread. Kid who is a good player for another team who wasn't on UT's radar during the recruiting process gets 4 pages. For every Grant, Admiral, Bone, Bowden, Lamonte 3*'s, you also have Kwe Parker, Ray Kasongo, Derrek Walker, Zack Kent's who just don't pan out. Given the opportunity, I'd rather take my chances with Josiah James, Jaden Springer, Keon Johnson, Corey Walker's of the world...can't take them all...and some times you get them wrong.

Reactions: Vols All Day
He was from Virginia, so by the same logic, Virginia tech, Virginia and many others also missed on a three star in their backyard. I wish we had him, he has shown he has the talent to contribute on this level, but no coach is going to bat 1000 on recruiting.
Correct...it happens everywhere. Ja Morant, #2 pick in NBA draft in 2019, who played for Murray State, is from a small town less than an hour away from Columbia SC...I'm guessing USC would like a "do over" w/ him.

Mac’s sister played soccer for UT! RB met him and took pictures with him! He was on UT’s radar. I’ve know him all his life his family is impeccable! He’s a baller, a winner! Everyone has always doubted him. He would be making a huge difference for UT right now! They would’ve beat Memphis if he was in the court I guarantee it!

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
There is one major problem with your argument. They are not Mac McClung.

That statement is the very reason we don’t have a legitimate argument.

Even the best player in the country......we wouldn’t know exactly how he would preform on a totally different team.....in a totally different system.

But for real, as long as Tennessee doesn’t see them in the tourney, I hope he can score 30 or 40 per game. I want anyone and everyone (not connected to Tennessee in some manner as an opponent) to succeed.

I understand he has succeeded, and I think he will continue to do so, but maybe he not like your thinking. I also think he is right where he needs to be.........somewhere he fits in, and has been given the opportunity.

Hell, so his grandfather played football at UT and his sister played soccer here. Definitely, a connection, don't know if RB recruited him or not, but hindsight is always 20/20. Hope he continues to ball out for Georgetown, but we are reaching on this thread, imo.

VN Store

Back