LV Worst Season Start In Years

Hmmm... Both Texas and Louisville lost to unranked teams today. Our losses don't look so bad now, do they?!
The number 3, 4, and 5th ranked teams have all lost to unranked teams in the last 7 days. Wonder what the rankings will be looking like come Monday. Based on competition, Tennessee shouldn't be behind any of the three and Louisville from what I just saw is not a top ten team.

The number 3, 4, and 5th ranked teams have all lost to unranked teams in the last 7 days. Wonder what the rankings will be looking like come Monday. Based on competition, Tennessee shouldn't be behind any of the three and Louisville from what I just saw is not a top ten team.
They were gentle with us. That does present a quandary for the voters.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Supposedly the LV were picked to be 4th in the nation for the current basketball season. Instead they have lost the first two games beyond Carson Newman. Unless things turn around quickly, the LV are in for one of the worst seasons in their history. Can anyone see the reason why?
It’s early, we have several new players and it may take time to mesh?

Looking from the outside in as one who doesn't really care for LV basketball...She is not that great of a coach. It's easy to see and I don't understand why anyone is shocked. Personally.

If you don’t care about LV basketball, why are You here and why are you commenting? I realize it’s an open message board but If you you don't care, why comment?

Last edited:
Yes, a very tough start to the season, but still it's very early. We have 10 new pieces to the line up, so it will take time. What I find truly concerning is that with our new personnel we are still seeing the same historic issues, high turnovers, offensive inconsistency, defensive lapses, and too many mental mistakes. I often wonder what's the identity of our team. Are we a offensive juggernaut, a defensive monster, are we run and gun or half court wizards? I would really like to see somebody on this team step up and get into someone's face on the court during a game and take over the leadership of this team. We need a tough vocal player to hold everyone else accountable. I love our coaches (and team), but I do think we might want to take another look at our offensive and defensive systems.

I think it’s honestly time to start thinking about the possibility of not making the ncaa tournament

As critical as I've been of Kellie as head coach, even I didn't think the wheels would fall off this quickly...

Yes, a very tough start to the season, but still it's very early. We have 10 new pieces to the line up, so it will take time. What I find truly concerning is that with our new personnel we are still seeing the same historic issues, high turnovers, offensive inconsistency, defensive lapses, and too many mental mistakes. I often wonder what's the identity of our team. Are we a offensive juggernaut, a defensive monster, are we run and gun or half court wizards? I would really like to see somebody on this team step up and get into someone's face on the court during a game and take over the leadership of this team. We need a tough vocal player to hold everyone else accountable. I love our coaches (and team), but I do think we might want to take another look at our offensive and defensive systems.
So you are saying undisciplined?

Reactions: #1LVLS MAN 4 LIFE
As critical as I've been of Kellie as head coach, even I didn't think the wheels would fall off this quickly...

Before Thanksgiving with Stanford, UCONN and SEC still to come. Have to win the games you’re supposed to win and compete against the UConns and Stanford to give yourself a chance. My fear is, the team will be defeated before they play UConn and Stanford.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
The issues you mentioned are not a player's responsibility. They are a coach's responsibility. I hope you viewed the SC-Stanford game today (11-20-2022). If you did, you saw two good coaches in action. I give Kellie this year to show that she is an good coach. If not, the issues you mention, (high turnovers, inconsistencies, defensive lapses, etc.), will continue. BTW, the UCLA coach is a good coach.

Does arguably your best player being out with injury count ? Yes, we have plenty of talent to overcome the loss of one player, but we also have new to program players this year that have yet to gel, and yes there are a lot of things to clean up. They will be fine when Horston gets back and well and they get a few games under their belt - and CJH is still the answer at coach. Sorry to have a positive spin on LV boards - I know I am in the minority.
Fair point. But uconn is down a previous NPOY, one of the best freshmen in the country, their starting center, AND that kid Ducharm is nowhere near 100%, and they destroyed top 10 NC State.

Horston played 28 minutes. She may not be 100%, and while this team is not loaded with talent (I disagree with people who say we are), the transfers and newbies had hall summer and 2 months or so of official practice before the season started. THIS is what we are showing? In the past I'd at least say we'd beat some teams just because we have more talent. I don't think that's true any more. Does UCLA have more talent than we do? I'm not sure - legit question.

Jackson and Horston top 5. Pissot #11. Hollingshead was 37. I don't think we have another player on the roster who was in the top 40. That's NOT a talented team. Powell is way better than her HS ranking, and before today's game I'd say Key is as well - but she can't be a no-show like this.

We got whalloped in Q's 1 and 3. That tells me 2 things. Crappy preparation for the game, and crappy half time adjustments. Kelli (and Holly) both lack Pat's intense aura that could get more out of players who were offensively challenged. She got them to play elite defense and that won us a lot of games.

This team does not have elite defense. And the offense is a mess. UCLA had 21 assists. Tennessee had 7. SEVEN. Thank God for the FT shooting or we would have lost by 30.

I think the thing that is hardest on fans, or maybe it's just me, is that the expectations were so high. I bought into it. Preseason #4. NC contender. 1-seed in Creme's preseason bracket. Granted we have played a tough schedule. I can forgive the losses to Indiana and OSU - those games at least felt somewhat close. This game was a blowout. Against an unranked team. Sure UCLA will probably vault into the top 25 at 20 or so, but are they that good? No idea.

Still, a frustrating loss, sad defense and mystifying offense. I'm obviously disappointed and bummed so sorry if I sound like Debby Downer... This too shall pass LOL.

crappy half time adjustments
This is very concerning bc last year 3rd q was often very good for us and we thought one of Kellie's strengths was halftime adjustments. Q1 has been all over the place forever.

Feels like alot of things that worked last year aren't working anymore, leaving KJH a little shellshocked. She seemed confident and relaxed coming into her biggest challenge as a coach so far in her career. Unfortunately that's changed now and she seems dogged, yet determined. I'm sure there will be alot of taking stock among the coaches and they'll work as hard as they can to fix what's fixable. We'll see what they're able to do.

Hey if they turn it around and pull things together it will make a great story!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So you are saying undisciplined?
I am sure discipline is a a part of it, but I think more accountability is what's needed. Example: if someone is not holding up their responsibility by not getting back on defense over and over, somebody other than a coach needs to address this during a game, preferably a teammate.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
The issues you mentioned are not a player's responsibility. They are a coach's responsibility. I hope you viewed the SC-Stanford game today (11-20-2022). If you did, you saw two good coaches in action. I give Kellie this year to show that she is an good coach. If not, the issues you mention, (high turnovers, inconsistencies, defensive lapses, etc.), will continue. BTW, the UCLA coach is a good coach.
All things being considered Coach Harper and her staff have done a fairly good job keeping the program viable, bringing in talent, and avoiding distractions. But to your point, the coaching will come under more scrutiny as the year goes on. To be fair, Coach Harper just does not have the resume of Dawn or Tara, but this year will be a year where the conversation will be more centered around coaching based on the talent we have. I am not on team Kelly must go, I'm on team I want Kelly to be successful.

Supposedly the LV were picked to be 4th in the nation for the current basketball season. Instead they have lost the first two games beyond Carson Newman. Unless things turn around quickly, the LV are in for one of the worst seasons in their history. Can anyone see the reason why?
Worst coach in years

Reactions: volmanNC
I think it’s honestly time to start thinking about the possibility of not making the ncaa tournament
I would say that there is probably only about a 95% probability we will make NCAA tournament. Only 5 games into season. We will lose more games than we thought before the season started but reality is that as bad as things seem now we will likely easily make the tournament.

Reactions: volnationnj
Texas media - "Aaliyah Moore had 19 points and eight rebounds while drawing multiple charges to lead Texas (1-3), which lost for the third time this week and is off to the program’s worst start in nearly a quarter-century."

VN Store

Back