LV Volleyball

Too many damn sevice errors all match long. Our middles are weak and got eaten alive. We did fight and clawed our way almost back, then shot ourselves in both feet come crunch time. The talent gap between us and Florida was very evident.

Florida had some beefy type girls you normally don't see on a volleyball team. To their credit they can play.

Florida had some beefy type girls you normally don't see on a volleyball team. To their credit they can play.
Maybe losing the Knoxville girl that transferred to the Florida school hurt more than expected...

I'm sure Lily Felts is missed but the big hole in our middle is where Ava Bell was a real force until she had to retire from playing. We miss Ava a lot!

Why do SEC volleyball teams play the same opponent twice--back to back? Do any other conferences do this--and if so, why?

I've tried hard to remember why this came about and, if memory serves, it was done as a cost saving tool to limit the number of trips per season that volleyball teams make each year. As a non-revenue sport, with a facility that doesn't suffer from over-use, playing two session here this year and two sessions there next year makes sense.

On the other hand, I may be totally wrong. So there's that.

Reactions: orange beard
I've tried hard to remember why this came about and, if memory serves, it was done as a cost saving tool to limit the number of trips per season that volleyball teams make each year. As a non-revenue sport, with a facility that doesn't suffer from over-use, playing two session here this year and two sessions there next year makes sense.

On the other hand, I may be totally wrong. So there's that.
Best i can remember that is the case!

All that makes sense economically. It seems the scheduling concept of back-to-back games on weekends was induced by COVID‘s stranglehold on normalcy in 2020—just to get a doable competitive schedule in place. I think the idea has stuck for practicality’s sake. At least, that has been my take on it, too.

Why do SEC volleyball teams play the same opponent twice--back to back? Do any other conferences do this--and if so, why?

It started during Covid to reduce travel/exposure and ultimately save money. Some coaches liked it and voted to keep it the same this year. I expect it to go back to the old schedule next year.

The biggest negative isn’t even the back-to-back against the same opponent, it’s the Saturday games. Nobody is getting a crowd at all on Saturdays. The Big Ten has long done Saturday matches, but it’s been a massive flop for crowds in the SEC.

VN Store

Back