LV Volleyball

Honestly, without taking anything from A&M, I thought we looked tired today. Having played Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday the spring from our legs just wasn't there especially later in the match. Then losing Ava pretty much did us in. I hate to lose, especially to A&M but stuff happens sometimes.

Time to regroup and carry on! We're still a very good team with a lot of opportunities in front of us.

Losing Bell hurt.....the transfer middle from Wisconsin is not good at all....I'm starting to see why she didn't really play there....If I'm Eve I'd try Perinar after Bell and Mahaffey.....Tennessee is still really good but like you said tired legs today....don't remember them being blocked so much.....I also hope next season the coaches don't do back to back games with the same opponent

Reactions: StrangeVol
Losing Bell hurt.....the transfer middle from Wisconsin is not good at all....I'm starting to see why she didn't really play there....If I'm Eve I'd try Perinar after Bell and Mahaffey.....Tennessee is still really good but like you said tired legs today....don't remember them being blocked so much.....I also hope next season the coaches don't do back to back games with the same opponent

That wasn’t a coaches’ decision, that is the SEC schedule that the league voted for. All weekend matches are back to back against the same opponent. Rackham voted against that format, from what she has hinted at in interviews.

That wasn’t a coaches’ decision, that is the SEC schedule that the league voted for. All weekend matches are back to back against the same opponent. Rackham voted against that format, from what she has hinted at in interviews.

Ahh gotcha....well hopefully the schedule goes back to like it used to be

I think they were reading something from our setter, or perhaps the outside hitters, that allowed them to get into blocking position early and time their jumps to match our hitters. They killed us with blocking which, until today, was not their strength.

They also wore us out when we were blocking their outside hitters by using our alignment against us. Our blockers do not hug the pins on either side which leaves a tight lane down the sideline open. Hit it if you can.

What A&M was doing was attacking that lane not necessarily to get a kill directly but to win the point by getting a deflected block out of bounds. By hitting down the line to the outside of our pin blocker you can get a lot of partial blocks that end up out of bounds. They did that to us all day today.

A&M's coach is a pretty sharp cookie and figured out how to take advantage of our defensive positioning. Good on her.

I think they were reading something from our setter, or perhaps the outside hitters, that allowed them to get into blocking position early and time their jumps to match our hitters. They killed us with blocking which, until today, was not their strength.

They also wore us out when we were blocking their outside hitters by using our alignment against us. Our blockers do not hug the pins on either side which leaves a tight lane down the sideline open. Hit it if you can.

What A&M was doing was attacking that lane not necessarily to get a kill directly but to win the point by getting a deflected block out of bounds. By hitting down the line to the outside of our pin blocker you can get a lot of partial blocks that end up out of bounds. They did that to us all day today.

A&M's coach is a pretty sharp cookie and figured out how to take advantage of our defensive positioning. Good on her.

Yep......Kansas volleyball hasn't been the same since she left

340762_20210709_VB_Photo_Shoot_AF_005.jpg

Ava Bell Named SEC Offensive Player of the Week - University of Tennessee Athletics

The matches this weekend will tell us a lot about the strength of our team. SC is a strong team playing at home. The potential for five-set nail-biters(that I both love and hate) is crystal clear.

Go Lady Vols!!!

That was a pretty strange match in my book. We started out well and took set #1 in a close contest that I expected to see. In set
#2 we started off okay but then the bottom fell out and we got spanked. South Carolina got us on our heels and we pretty much stayed in scramble mode throughout the set. Set #3 started out as a continuation of set #2 and we floundered until we were down by 8 points and the set was slipping rapidly down the tubes. Then, we got our act together and came roaring back to take sets #3 and #4 and the match. An ugly but good win in the end.

What struck me was how much guts and determination the girls found to get up off the floor and come roaring back. You could see the energy and confidence from our side. That proved something important not only to those watching but to the team as well. I think they believe now that while they may be down, they're never out and that is so important going forward.

Well done Lady Vols!!!

I also can't imagine that the South Carolina team is waking up this morning and not wondering "what the **** happened?" "We were leading and having our way with the Lady Vols and BOOM...we lose? How did that happen????????" :):);)

That was a pretty strange match in my book. We started out well and took set #1 in a close contest that I expected to see. In set
#2 we started off okay but then the bottom fell out and we got spanked. South Carolina got us on our heels and we pretty much stayed in scramble mode throughout the set. Set #3 started out as a continuation of set #2 and we floundered until we were down by 8 points and the set was slipping rapidly down the tubes. Then, we got our act together and came roaring back to take sets #3 and #4 and the match. An ugly but good win in the end.

What struck me was how much guts and determination the girls found to get up off the floor and come roaring back. You could see the energy and confidence from our side. That proved something important not only to those watching but to the team as well. I think they believe now that while they may be down, they're never out and that is so important going forward.

Well done Lady Vols!!!

I also can't imagine that the South Carolina team is waking up this morning and not wondering "what the **** happened?" "We were leading and having our way with the Lady Vols and BOOM...we lose? How did that happen????????" :):);)

I agree. And South Carolina is going to be mad!

USC athletics should be fairly sick and tired of the Big Orange as the LV volleyballers added more to the weekend onslaught with a 3-0 sweep today in Columbia a little while after the Vol football team took care of business on the gridiron in Knoxville. Here’s hoping that the soccer team can make it an unblemished weekend tomorrow against Chicken U.

Just got to watch today’s match, and wow, what a finish! Lily Felts was on fire today. She was in South Carolina’s head that last set. 6-0 run to finish it was impressive.

Very convincing win today in a game that meant something. Really looking forward to that Kentucky matchup in a couple weeks….

Time for some payback against Georgia. A one-match trip to Athens should add another W to ur record: Volleyball Preview: Georgia - University of Tennessee Athletics

Hope you are right. Georgia’s only win in conference came last week against A&M who actually gave us our only conference loss. (A&M did take the second match against Georgia in 5 sets the next night.) The conference is looking about as competitive as it has been in quite some time. Go 🍊LV VB!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back