LV Turnovers

Lady Vols had 24 turnovers in the game. This is the second game with 24 turnovers and 2 others in the season with 27. There is no improvement either. Incidentally, the men of Coach Barnes had only 9 turnovers which is back to less than 10 turnovers per game as he desires. The LV must have some stupidity too...with seconds left in the game you do not foul on a 3 point shot and with 3.6 seconds left and a two point lead you absolutely do not foul period. Thank goodness for the UT baseball team as we have one team that is preforming better than anticipated.

Yep, they do...it is in posts that label them terms like this one!
Uncool

In my uninformed opinion, the players do indeed have the yips. The turnover curse has become its own self-fulfilling prophecy, and it seems to constantly be in the players' heads now. That leads to them being tentative and hesitant at times, overthinking things. Also leads to subconscious panic under pressure leading to the hot potato syndrome. Players don't want the ball and fear being the goat...and their good, natural instincts get pushed down while the "bad" instincts come out. I've seen it happen with coaches, too...they get tunnel vision and can't see the obvious (while the assistant coach who feels little pressure is able to process things better). Players with a lot of ability can have a hard time adapting their elite skill sets to less talented teammates, and they struggle to rein in their play, get overly cautious to counterproductive results, or decide to "just do it themselves" even in unfavorable scenarios. All of that can lead to more turnovers, and eventually it spreads like a virus even to some of the most dependable players. I think the missed layups are a residual effect of the fear of making mistakes.

If I were a returning player, I'd want my coaches to lay out some basic offensive sets that they expect the team to run. Then I'd meet with teammates during the offseason as much as possible, set up chairs, cones, boyfriends, strangers, whatever, to run those patterns again and do it until I knew where I should be and where my teammates would be even if I were blindfolded (and in that event, would trust my teammates to call the picks for me).

Holly used to say that they team didn't focus much of offense early in the season. IMO, Kellie needs to devote the lion's share of practice to offense that the players can trust. Turnovers will be reduced when spacing is better, players know when their teammates are cutting, players are constantly setting picks and screens (and then moving to designated areas or rolling to basket), players are utilizing fakes and good foot movement to get open with and without the ball, players are communicating constantly, etc.

Reactions: glv98
In my uninformed opinion, the players do indeed have the yips. The turnover curse has become its own self-fulfilling prophecy, and it seems to constantly be in the players' heads now. That leads to them being tentative and hesitant at times, overthinking things. Also leads to subconscious panic under pressure leading to the hot potato syndrome. Players don't want the ball and fear being the goat...and their good, natural instincts get pushed down while the "bad" instincts come out. I've seen it happen with coaches, too...they get tunnel vision and can't see the obvious (while the assistant coach who feels little pressure is able to process things better). Players with a lot of ability can have a hard time adapting their elite skill sets to less talented teammates, and they struggle to rein in their play, get overly cautious to counterproductive results, or decide to "just do it themselves" even in unfavorable scenarios. All of that can lead to more turnovers, and eventually it spreads like a virus even to some of the most dependable players. I think the missed layups are a residual effect of the fear of making mistakes.

If I were a returning player, I'd want my coaches to lay out some basic offensive sets that they expect the team to run. Then I'd meet with teammates during the offseason as much as possible, set up chairs, cones, boyfriends, strangers, whatever, to run those patterns again and do it until I knew where I should be and where my teammates would be even if I were blindfolded (and in that event, would trust my teammates to call the picks for me).

Holly used to say that they team didn't focus much of offense early in the season. IMO, Kellie needs to devote the lion's share of practice to offense that the players can trust. Turnovers will be reduced when spacing is better, players know when their teammates are cutting, players are constantly setting picks and screens (and then moving to designated areas or rolling to basket), players are utilizing fakes and good foot movement to get open with and without the ball, players are communicating constantly, etc.

As an opposing coach, I would watch your game film, pick out your sequences and your planned reception areas and pick them off. Running a completely structured offense at this level would be suicide. Opposing coaches would see the Tendencies know the Pav's that were taken know where the openings are calculated to be and be there waiting on them. All they would have to do is see how you set up and what the motion was and have their girls ready to eat your lunch.

Over half of the turnovers I see have been mental mistakes. Uncertain passes or soft passes. Dribbling off the foot. Throwing to where somebody is supposed to be instead of where they are or where they are instead of where they're supposed to be. These are mental mistakes. And the way you solve them is to focus on those mistakes and decide with each circumstance whether or not action should be taken on the individual who makes that mistake.

Reactions: StrangeVol

VN Store

Back