Lunardi has Vols as a #1 seed

Bracket Matrix has us and Arizona in a tie for the top 2 seed. Closer to a 2 seed average than a 1 seed average. We are going to have to hope for Houston and/or UNC to drop a couple more games for us to get a 1 seed imo.

Nah. UNC will lose again, I’m sure, but this would imply that if we finish in a dead heat in the loss column with UNC they would get the 1-seed nod which I disagree with. UNC beat us, but their next best win by the NET is Duke at #20 then Oklahoma at #27. We have wins over #6, #13, #15, and #23. We are also #5 in NET to UNC’s 10.

Memphis was, supposedly, pushing for a top 10 spot a couple of weeks ago and now it looks like they’re gonna miss the tournament altogether…

Also, location/travel and officiating. Imagine facing Houston in Dallas for a Regional Final, or CT in Boston for a Regional Final, or Purdue in Detroit for a Regional Final, or Arizona in LA for a Regional Final. When is Chattanooga gonna get a Regional? 🤔🥴

That’s for this week what’s gonna happen later in the season and we do not want to be a number one seed because they all get put out of the tournament
Well, it is a 100% guarantee that 3 of them will.

a #1 seed wins it all 64.9% of the time

Reactions: Volfan1000
I see Tennessee closer to a 3 seed than a 1 seed. Is the mock bracket this Saturday or next? I see the final four games being 2-2 and splitting with a desperate A&M team, with the most likely outcome being a loss on Saturday. That puts you at 23-8 with no really bad losses and solid quad 1 wins going into a meaningless SEC Tournament. I see that as 2 seed material.
I see Tennessee closer to a 1 or 2 than UNC. Heels have had 2 bad losses in past 3 games and Duke is over seeded at a 4. Heels likely with another loss Saturday at Miami. Defense travels in the tourney and Vols play great D.

Right now, it looks like UCONN and Purdue and then everyone else. UCONN has a tough Marquette team twice in the coming weeks.

In my opinion, if TN is hitting on all cylinders, as I have seen them in stretches during games this season, they are the best team in the nation. The problem is they either go into scoring or defensive lapses for extended stretches making it hard to put them any higher than a 2 seed for me.

Last edited:
I see Tennessee closer to a 3 seed than a 1 seed. Is the mock bracket this Saturday or next? I see the final four games being 2-2 and splitting with a desperate A&M team, with the most likely outcome being a loss on Saturday. That puts you at 23-8 with no really bad losses and solid quad 1 wins going into a meaningless SEC Tournament. I see that as 2 seed material.
Unless we win the SEC Tournament and are sitting at 26-8 on Selection Sunday. Then we’re right there in the discussion for the final #1 seed, depending on what happens in the other conference tournaments, of course.

In my opinion, if TN is hitting on all cylinders, as I have seen them in stretches during games this season, they are the best team in the nation. The problem is they either go into scoring or defensive lapses for extended stretches making easy it hard to put them any higher than a 2 seed for me.
Jimmy Dykes said the same thing last night. Said we’re the most complete team in the nation.

Also, location/travel and officiating. Imagine facing Houston in Dallas for a Regional Final, or CT in Boston for a Regional Final, or Purdue in Detroit for a Regional Final, or Arizona in LA for a Regional Final. When is Chattanooga gonna get a Regional? 🤔🥴
None of that really matters. You’re going to have to win four tough neutral site games to get to the Final Four no matter how you slice it. It’s not like Purdue is going to have 60,000 fans at Ford Field or Houston 75,000 at AT&T Stadium. Heck, the Cougars lost to Miami in Kansas City last year and Purdue lost in Columbus to a #16 seed.

Reactions: Stoked
I see Tennessee closer to a 1 or 2 than UNC. Heels have had 2 bad losses in past 3 games and Duke is over seeded at a 4. Heels likely with another loss Saturday at Miami. Defense travels in the tourney and Vols play great D.

Right now, it looks like UCONN and Purdue and then everyone else. UCONN has a tough Marquette team twice in the coming weeks.
Georgia Tech, I'll give you, but Clemson isn't really a bad loss. 29th in NET, and 33rd in KenPom. They're a pretty good team. A team UNC should have beaten at home, but the same can be said of Tennessee and South Carolina.

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back