Lunardi has Vols as a #1 seed

I see Tennessee closer to a 3 seed than a 1 seed. Is the mock bracket this Saturday or next? I see the final four games being 2-2 and splitting with a desperate A&M team, with the most likely outcome being a loss on Saturday. That puts you at 23-8 with no really bad losses and solid quad 1 wins going into a meaningless SEC Tournament. I see that as 2 seed material.

I see Tennessee closer to a 3 seed than a 1 seed. Is the mock bracket this Saturday or next? I see the final four games being 2-2 and splitting with a desperate A&M team, with the most likely outcome being a loss on Saturday. That puts you at 23-8 with no really bad losses and solid quad 1 wins going into a meaningless SEC Tournament. I see that as 2 seed material.
The seed list from Lunardi is strictly a snapshot at this point in time. It’s just a weekly tracker until the end of the season that helps more accurately seed the teams when the real bracket gets here. It’s not a projection of what he thinks will play out.

The seed list from Lunardi is strictly a snapshot at this point in time. It’s just a weekly tracker until the end of the season that helps more accurately seed the teams when the real bracket gets here. It’s not a projection of what he thinks will play out.
Oh, I know. I'm just saying it will be hard to hold onto that spot. The final stretch is brutal and there are basically only two top seeds left for grabs at this point.

Nice to see. Long way to go. Hard for me to get too hopeful until I see how we handle these next 5 games. Really need to run the table until the Auburn game to position us for a 1-seed. Absolutely cannot lose to Arkansas, Mizzou, or Vandy. Just can’t.

What about Texas A&M?

The only real excusable losses left are at USCe, and at Alabama. And we really shouldn't lose to either one of those. We played the worst game of the season against USCe and barely lost. We hammered Bammer at home, and match up really good with them. That being said I don't expect us to win out. But we shouldn't lose at home, and there are only 2 really tough road games left. That is all.

When it comes to seeding accuracy, he’s not the best. But he does a pretty good job determining all the teams in the field. He’s good at sorting the bubble teams.
At this point, it's useless speculation that is totally unprovable. Just one man's opinion

What about Texas A&M?

Splitting against them wouldn’t kill your 1-seed case considering winning in College Station is very hard. But that would mean you have to go 3-1 in that final stretch of 4 games to stay in 1-seed contention.

It’s fine to lose this Saturday if you make up the game elsewhere. Losing to any of the other 3 teams is an automatic nail in the coffin for a 1-seed.

Reactions: Wireless1
Definitely playing like a #1 seed, need to handle the last part of SEC season and go into SEC tournament with the momentum to win it again!

Reactions: walkenvol
Splitting against them wouldn’t kill your 1-seed case considering winning in College Station is very hard. But that would mean you have to go 3-1 in that final stretch of 4 games to stay in 1-seed contention.

It’s fine to lose this Saturday if you make up the game elsewhere. Losing to any of the other 3 teams is an automatic nail in the coffin for a 1-seed.

Memphis, Kentucky, LSU, and Ole Miss have all beat A&M in College Station this season.

I think UT wins by 10

I'm not sure a loss Saturday is the "most likely outcome," unless my interpretation of that phrase is different than yours. We've probably got a 60% chance to win.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Bracket Matrix has us and Arizona in a tie for the top 2 seed. Closer to a 2 seed average than a 1 seed average. We are going to have to hope for Houston and/or UNC to drop a couple more games for us to get a 1 seed imo.

The top sixteen reveal is next Saturday. That reveal is, to me, the most important thing when it comes to gauging a team's position. In 2022, the Vols were revealed at #11 on the S-curve. They lost that night on the road against a ranked Arkansas, rattled off eight straight wins (including two top five teams and a payback game against the Hogs) en route to an SEC title and wound up... #10 on the S-curve. Alabama was #1 last year, lost two games (at #10 UT, at #24 A&M) en route to an SEC title and wound up... #1 on the S-curve.

Not saying that the last few games of the season don't matter, but that your opportunity for growth isn't that great so splitting the last 4 2-2 would be worrisome to me in terms of getting a one seed unless the Vols magically are slotted #2 or #3 next weekend.

VN Store

Back