‘23 LSU transfer OT Zalance Heard (Tennessee)

Tend to agree as the top-end is better. But like the breadth of #2 otoh
If we assume there was a OL class the year prior, and an OL class coming after, then the breadth is less appealing imo.

2 bonafide Blue Chips and a quality 4 Star, supplemented by a couple high 3 Stars every cycle?

That’s a recipe for building a great OL. Granted you have a quality OL Coach to mold them, which I believe we have.

Why would you part with any of your dough if you didn’t have to?
Not saying he should or would.

But even if they offered him 2x the value of the scholarship in additional annual cash payments (so he’s netting out more dough) -

There is still a very real caste system amongst athletes and whether they are Scholarship, Preferred, or Walk-on. Different rights and privileges, and status.

Though I suppose that could fade away as NIL continues to take root and changes things.

I’m to the point I want to see the pictures of them in cap & gown walking across stage after 4 years for me to believe…
No chance this kid is here that long. If...IF...he wears orange next year, that's all we can count on.

Not saying he should or would.

But even if they offered him 2x the value of the scholarship in additional annual cash payments (so he’s netting out more dough) -

There is still a very real caste system amongst athletes and whether they are Scholarship, Preferred, or Walk-on. Different rights and privileges, and status.

Though I suppose that could fade away as NIL continues to take root and changes things.
Great points. Many don’t realize this. But as you say, we may see it start to fade.

If we assume there was a OL class the year prior, and an OL class coming after, then the breadth is less appealing imo.

2 bonafide Blue Chips and a quality 4 Star, supplemented by a couple high 3 Stars every cycle?

That’s a recipe for building a great OL. Granted you have a quality OL Coach to mold them, which I believe we have.
Agree that class was probably better overall.

Still think this class, if Heard commits, is really good given our development ability.

He committed to the coaches last Wednesday night and agreed to his NIL deal Thursday. He isn’t taking any visits. No other school thinks they have a chance. Everyone has accepted that he’s coming here except this board. I’m not sure what kind of announcement there will be, but he’ll be sitting in class next week in Knoxville, and wearing an orange shirt on Saturdays next Fall.
I’m kind of hoping he doesn’t make an announcement now. I have a lot of respect for this kid keeping it low key in an era where it’s all about me and the show.

Mad props to Heard and I will really be pulling for him to ball out here.

VN Store

Back